Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2008 Ryder Cup Matches - US 16.5, EU 11.5 - US wins Cup

It's early yet, but so far, no Tiger, no problem

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Playing the role of Tiger Woods today-- Justin Leonard. He has been lights out good so far.

--Jason "funny story, apparently everyone on the team wanted to play with Anthony Kim... especially Phil" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Playing the role of Tiger Woods today-- Justin Leonard. He has been lights out good so far.
    Tiger has a losing record in the Ryder Cup. I'd compare Leonard's play to someone else if I meant to compliment him

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Phil and Anthony Kim really picked it up on the back nine of their morning round. Looks like they turned out to be a good pairing. I really like watching Kim play.

USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!US A!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA! USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!US A!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA! USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!

I'll feel better tomorrow this time if we still have the lead. History, ya know.
    ~rthomas

Thumbs up

Can't wait to see where things stand after Saturday's play. Anthony Kim was a treat -- not only for his play, but for his awe and enthusiasm at being there. And Justin Leonard -- best he's played in a long time. It should give his confidence a boost going forward on the tour.

Go USA! Great fun today.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    There is still a lot of golf left to play and the singles matches will determine the winner. Y'all shouldn't be counting the Europeans out just yet.

I always want the Euros to win (for obvious reasons) but this year I want it more than ever as I'm really really developing a healthy dislike for Phil and would love to see him on the losing end. Not that I wish anything bad on the other American players, many of whom I quite like, but I simply cannot stand Phil.

The last couple hours today was compelling to say the least. Wow. If you like golf, you gotta love the afternoon matches today!
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    There is still a lot of golf left to play and the singles matches will determine the winner. Y'all shouldn't be counting the Europeans out just yet.

I always want the Euros to win (for obvious reasons) but this year I want it more than ever as I'm really really developing a healthy dislike for Phil and would love to see him on the losing end. Not that I wish anything bad on the other American players, many of whom I quite like, but I simply cannot stand Phil.
    I hate Mike Weir.

Anybody else tired of the words "all square?" Can't they, just once, say a match is tied or they're all even or some variant. Seems pretentious as all get-out to me.

It's the law, Jim. It is a must to call an even match all square. The rules of golf are sacred, and cannot be touched, even by the Supreme Court.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    It's the law, Jim. It is a must to call an even match all square. The rules of golf are sacred, and cannot be touched, even by the Supreme Court.
    I believe that your objection is dormied.

Has anyone been listening to the Ryder Cup on XM radio? They have some European woman covering some of the holes that I'm certain is Robin Williams as Mrs. Doubtfire.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    Has anyone been listening to the Ryder Cup on XM radio? They have some European woman covering some of the holes that I'm certain is Robin Williams as Mrs. Doubtfire.
    You actually listen to golf on the radio?
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    You actually listen to golf on the radio?
    When I've been driving to the course to play the last two days, it is the only thing I'll listen to.

I cannot imagine listening to golf on the radio.

"Leonard with a seven-iron. He swings, he hits the ball. It's in the air. It hits the ground, rolls a bit and stops. Fifteen feet below the hole. He'll walk 150 yards to the hole, while we try to think of something to say."

How delicious to see Anthony Kim utterly lay waste to Sergio Garcia. He embarrassed him. What's amazing is that Kim didn't even realized he had won. At first, he just took off towards the 15th hole.

It's now 10-7. We've got to get 4.5 out of the last 11 matches. Two matches look safe American. The rest are gonna require a lot of work.

Mahan of the brass testes has pulled back in front. He hit a, I don't know, 40-footer on 17, so now he's dormie.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 09-21-2008 at 04:07 PM.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Furyk and JB Holmes just closed it out. Huge match especially on Furyk's part.

Paul Azinger:US Ryder Cup Team::Coach K:USA Basketball

Maybe the solution all along was to have a team, instead of having 11 guys standing around hoping Tiger Woods would save their butts, which he hasn't done this decade.

Big ups to the Azingers having Tracey Stewart with their family.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Yahoo! Sports headlined it as a "Reversal of Fortune". Certainly better than the reversal of fortune one experiences at Nathan's Famous...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Anybody else tired of the words "all square?" Can't they, just once, say a match is tied or they're all even or some variant. Seems pretentious as all get-out to me.
    No matter how you cut it, "all square" has a long way to go in the pretentious pantheon before golf can reach the level of tennis. Can't they just say zero instead of love? Why are points 15, 30, 40, and game rather than 1, 2, 3, and game? Why is 40 to 40 deuce but 30 to 30 isn't since they are pretty much the same thing as someone has to win the next two points to win the game?

As for the Ryder Cup, let's first start by thanking Seve Ballesteros for his support as he had said he wanted the US to win because he feared the European domination of the Ryder Cup was getting boring. Thanks, Seve, you got your wish.

Big credit to Bubba golf this weekend - Boo Weekley and JB Holmes were wonderful characters and Weekley in particular played well. Extra credit to Weekley who managed to get under the skin of Lee Westwood by being too enthusiastic during Friday's play. Plus, he had a classic moment where he celebrated a big shot by putting his driver between his legs and galloping down the fairway like he was riding a stick pony. Great stuff.