Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I'd recommend using a regular Port wine, not a tawny port. You'll get more fruitiness.

Apple-stuffed Pork Chops with Port Wine Reduction

1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
    1/3 C chopped walnuts
    1/3 C dried fruit, chopped (dried cherries are great)
    a few sprigs of fresh Thyme
    about 1/3 C your favorite Port wine
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    4 thick-cut pork chops (with bone)
    salt and pepper
    1/2 C chicken broth
    2 Tbsp flour

Peel and dice the apples and place in a mixing bowl. Immediately sprinkle with 2 Tbps port wine (to halt oxidation). Add walnuts and dried fruit. Remove thyme leaves from woody stems and chop. Add thyme leaves to fruit mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Place pork chops on cutting board. Using a thin knife, cut a pocket in the pork chop. I find it best to hold my palm flat on the top of the chop when I place the knife in - I find this helps me guide the knife in horizontally, so that I won't accidentally cut through the top or bottom of the chop. Do not cut the opening along the whole edge of the chop. You want the opening to only be about 1.5 to 2 inches, enough to scoop the mixture in. Use the tip of the blade to cut the interior of the pocket. Scoop fruit mixture into pocket until full. Season the outside of the pork with salt and pepper as desired.

Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil. When oil is warm, add chops to pan. Saute for 7-8 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove chops from pan, and keep warm. Add remainder of Port wine to pan to deglaze. Scrape the browned bits from the bottom of pan. After the wine has cooked down for about 2 minutes, add the chicken broth. Whisk in flour. Bring liquid back to a boil, and cook until thickened.

Serve the chops over mashed potatoes and top with the port wine sauce.
    Might I suggest a nice brown ale or perhaps even a pumpkin ale?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    wilson's (Mom's) Chicken Parmesan

-boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 or 2 packages, anywhere from 1-2.5 lbs.)
    -marinara sauce (store-bought or make your own)
    -bread crumbs
    -grated Parmesan cheese (the kind that comes in a canister is really fine, but fresh is of course really good)
    -garlic, onions, peppers (at cook's discretion)
    -oregano
    -mozzarella cheese

Pound your chicken breasts to about 1/4-1/2" thickness. Bread with the following mixture:

-1 part bread crumbs
    -1 part parmesan
    -oregano, crushed red pepper, etc. to taste

Pan-fry them on medium heat until the breading browns. Pour a layer of marinara in a casserole dish, then place your chicken, then another layer of sauce. Add any additional seasonings you desire, followed by a layer of Parmesan and a layer of mozzarella (again, according to taste, but I like mine pretty gooey). Sometimes I also drizzle some balsamic vinegar on top. Bake at 350 for 25-30 min.

Many recipes call for this to be served on a bed of pasta, which is good, but I usually just eat it straight. It also makes excellent leftovers, cut up into a bowl of pasta, baked on a toasted sub, or just by itself.
    Pilsner Urquell-on draft-not the skunky bottled stuff. Prima Pils might be a good choice also from the Victory Brewing Company.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Pilsner Urquell-on draft-not the skunky bottled stuff. Prima Pils might be a good choice also from the Victory Brewing Company.
    Well, tonight I had it with Icehouse tallboys (what can I say...high alcohol content, low price).

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Well, tonight I had it with Icehouse tallboys (what can I say...high alcohol content, low price).
    Sometimes you just gotta slum it. We like the tall boys at band practice.

Bump. Recipes please?

Jambalaya and Others

The Base

Chop up one onion, one green pepper, and about that amount of celery (the Trinity) and saute them in some olive oil. Add garlic and jalapeņos to taste. If you cook them until just transparent, the flavor will be stronger. The more color you get, the sweeter and richer it will be. If you want it even thicker and richer for an etouffe or gumbo, add some flour - about as much as you had oil - (making a roux) and stir it until it reaches the right color, the darker the richer.

At this point, you can add nearly anything and make nearly anything including soups and stews, and they will be wonderful. Here are some variants I have tried successfully.

Jambalaya (my signature dish)

Make the base in a six quart saucepan or stockpot. Add a one pound Bridgeford Summer sausage and 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken (both chopped) and cook until they get a little color. Put in 2 quarts of chicken stock (they sell it in boxes near the soups) and a medium (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil and add 2 packages of Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix (rice and seasonings). Reduce heat and simmer covered for 25 minutes. Open, stir in 2 pounds of shrimp, cover, and cook for five more minutes. Remove from heat, let sit for 5 minutes, stir, and serve. The style of shrimp can vary. Large, tail-on shrimp are very impressive and make a great presentation. I use medium shrimp, tail off, and cut in half so that there is a lump of shrimp in almost every bite.

Shrimp and Grits

Make the base in a large skillet. Add 2 pounds of shrimp and, optionally, some chopped country ham. Cook until the shrimp turn pink and serve over cheese grits.

Cajun Scallops

Make the base in a large skillet. Add 2 pounds of scallops (or crayfish) and, optionally, some chopped andouille sausage. Cook until the scallops are transparent and serve over rice cooked in chicken stock.

Potatoes

Quarter some baby red potatoes and lightly brown them in a large skillet in a little olive oil. Add the Trinity, garlic, jalapeņos, and (optionally) some chopped andouille sausage. Saute until you get the right color.

Chicken Chorizo Soup

Make the base in a large saucepan or stockpot. Add diced potatoes and carrots, chicken, chorizo (or whatever sausage you like), and chicken stock. Cook until the potatoes are tender.

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    The Base

Chop up one onion, one green pepper, and about that amount of celery (the Trinity) and saute them in some olive oil. Add garlic and jalapeņos to taste. If you cook them until just transparent, the flavor will be stronger. The more color you get, the sweeter and richer it will be. If you want it even thicker and richer for an etouffe or gumbo, add some flour - about as much as you had oil - (making a roux) and stir it until it reaches the right color, the darker the richer.

At this point, you can add nearly anything and make nearly anything including soups and stews, and they will be wonderful. Here are some variants I have tried successfully.

Jambalaya (my signature dish)

Make the base in a six quart saucepan or stockpot. Add a one pound Bridgeford Summer sausage and 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken (both chopped) and cook until they get a little color. Put in 2 quarts of chicken stock (they sell it in boxes near the soups) and a medium (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil and add 2 packages of Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix (rice and seasonings). Reduce heat and simmer covered for 25 minutes. Open, stir in 2 pounds of shrimp, cover, and cook for five more minutes. Remove from heat, let sit for 5 minutes, stir, and serve. The style of shrimp can vary. Large, tail-on shrimp are very impressive and make a great presentation. I use medium shrimp, tail off, and cut in half so that there is a lump of shrimp in almost every bite.

Shrimp and Grits

Make the base in a large skillet. Add 2 pounds of shrimp and, optionally, some chopped country ham. Cook until the shrimp turn pink and serve over cheese grits.

Cajun Scallops

Make the base in a large skillet. Add 2 pounds of scallops (or crayfish) and, optionally, some chopped andouille sausage. Cook until the scallops are transparent and serve over rice cooked in chicken stock.

Potatoes

Quarter some baby red potatoes and lightly brown them in a large skillet in a little olive oil. Add the Trinity, garlic, jalapeņos, and (optionally) some chopped andouille sausage. Saute until you get the right color.

Chicken Chorizo Soup

Make the base in a large saucepan or stockpot. Add diced potatoes and carrots, chicken, chorizo (or whatever sausage you like), and chicken stock. Cook until the potatoes are tender.
    I think I'd enjoy a highly hopped IPA with any of these dishes.

Good call!

I think I'd enjoy a highly hopped IPA with any of these dishes.
    Yep, I usually drink a St George Golden Ale or a Victory Hop Devil.

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    Yep, I usually drink a St George Golden Ale or a Victory Hop Devil.
    Hmm, you are in VA so a Tuppers Hop Pocket might be on your menu, too, perhaps?

Hmm, you are in VA so a Tuppers Hop Pocket might be on your menu, too, perhaps?
    Yep, knocked back many of those.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    This is one of my favorite soup recipes; I got it from “Taste of Home” magazine.

Sausage-Lentil Soup
    Ingredients:
    • ― lb bulk Italian sausage
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
    • 1 large carrot, chopped
    • 2 (10.5 oz) cans chicken broth
    • 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes w/liquid
    • 1 cup water
    • 1 garlic clove, minced
    • 1 tsp salt, ― tsp pepper
    • ― tsp pepper
    • ū cup lentils, rinsed

Directions:

In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown and crumble sausage, drain. Add next 9 ingredients, bring to a boil. Add lentils. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts)
    Hey Arkie,

This sounded so good, I had to try it tonight. We're having a grey, windy (power-lines down) fall day, and this just seemed like a perfect counter to it. I am doubling the dosage, and instead of water, used a little Bud Light (Ozzie approves, I'm sure); will let you know how it turns out.

Ymm, soup!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Hey Arkie,

This sounded so good, I had to try it tonight. We're having a grey, windy (power-lines down) fall day, and this just seemed like a perfect counter to it. I am doubling the dosage, and instead of water, used a little Bud Light (Ozzie approves, I'm sure); will let you know how it turns out.

Ymm, soup!
    By using bud light instead of water, you should not be altering the taste much.

Looks like the "mild" Santa Ana will break this weekend, and that we'll have "fall" weather on Sunday. If so, we're heading to the pumpkin patch and I'm making Pumpkin Soup this weekend. Will post my recipe after I've tweaked it to my likening.

We needed some drink recipes, right? Here's one my late grandfather taught me to make as a very wee lad:

The James Moniz Memorial Martini

Pour 1/2 jigger dry vermouth into a chilled martini glass.
    Swirl vermouth around glass.
    Pour vermouth out of glass.
    Fill glass with Beefeater gin.
    Add only two olives. I mean it. Only two.

Enjoy!

Potato Soup

Tonight I made potato soup for the boys, tomorrow it's pumpkin soup.

The stuff
    • 5 or 6 baking potatoes, cut into 1" chunks
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped
    • 1 lb bacon, I used thick-cut hickory smoked because it retains the best fatty bits which are one of the best parts of the soup
    • 16 oz sour cream
    • 16 oz cheddar cheese, we used Medium tonight but Vermont Cheddar is also a favorite
    • salt & pepper to taste

The cooking
    1. Cook bacon, reserving about 2 tbsp of the rendered fat. Drain on paper towels.
    2. Pour a nice pint of your favorite beer.
    3. Saute onions until almost translucent.
    4. Add garlic and saute about two minutes or until garlic is nice and aromatic.
    5. Add potatoes, cover with water and boil until potatoes are cooked through.
    6. Refill pint.
    7. Pour off about half the water, reserve some for later.
    8. Remove 1/3 of the potatoes.
    9. Blend the remaining soup until smooth, if you have an immersion blender (a must for any soup lover!) great, if not you can puree in a blender in batches.
    10. Mix in 3/4 of the sour cream, cheese and chives. Keep the rest for presentation.
    11. Break the bacon down into about half inch chunks, add to soup.
    12. Sip beer.
    13. Now you want to add the reserved water and stir until you've reached your desired consistency.
    14. Salt & Pepper to taste.

The presentation
    1. Ladle the soup into bowls.
    2. Layer cheese, bacon, and a dollop of sour cream, then sprinkle the chives.
    3. I like to pepper the top for a little more color.
    4. Eat it. Enjoy.

Hurray for soup weather!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Tonight I made potato soup for the boys, tomorrow it's pumpkin soup.

The stuff
    • 5 or 6 baking potatoes, cut into 1" chunks
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped
    • 1 lb bacon, I used thick-cut hickory smoked because it retains the best fatty bits which are one of the best parts of the soup
    • 16 oz sour cream
    • 16 oz cheddar cheese, we used Medium tonight but Vermont Cheddar is also a favorite
    • salt & pepper to taste

The cooking
    1. Cook bacon, reserving about 2 tbsp of the rendered fat. Drain on paper towels.
    2. Pour a nice pint of your favorite beer.
    3. Saute onions until almost translucent.
    4. Add garlic and saute about two minutes or until garlic is nice and aromatic.
    5. Add potatoes, cover with water and boil until potatoes are cooked through.
    6. Refill pint.
    7. Pour off about half the water, reserve some for later.
    8. Remove 1/3 of the potatoes.
    9. Blend the remaining soup until smooth, if you have an immersion blender (a must for any soup lover!) great, if not you can puree in a blender in batches.
    10. Mix in 3/4 of the sour cream, cheese and chives. Keep the rest for presentation.
    11. Break the bacon down into about half inch chunks, add to soup.
    12. Sip beer.
    13. Now you want to add the reserved water and stir until you've reached your desired consistency.
    14. Salt & Pepper to taste.

The presentation
    1. Ladle the soup into bowls.
    2. Layer cheese, bacon, and a dollop of sour cream, then sprinkle the chives.
    3. I like to pepper the top for a little more color.
    4. Eat it. Enjoy.

Hurray for soup weather!!!
    A hearty and hoppy IPA with this bowl of goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Hey Arkie,

Ymm, soup!
    I'm a bit slow on the draw. How did it turn out?

Overnight French Toast

1 10 oz Loaf French Bread -- cut into 1" slices
    8 large eggs - beaten
    3 cups milk
    1 cup sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons vanilla extract
    1/4 cup margarine
    Syrup

Generously butter a 9X13 pan
    Arrange bread slices in a single layer in the pan
    In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla
    Pour over the bread.
    Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight
    Next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees
    Uncover the pan and dot with margarine
    Bake until puffy and light brown (about an hour or so)
    Serve with syrup.

When serving a crowd, I bake in one of those large aluminum pans -- cook for about an extra half hour. (And if doesn't seem done, crank the heat up to 500 for another ten minutes of so -- it's hard to ruin this)

If feeding a crown, I buy a large doublepack of those L'il Hickory smokers -- and bake on the top shelf of the oven for the last 20 minutes.

P.S. Since I'm not much of a "sweets" person, I usually eliminate the sugar (or just use a little) -- you're going to smother this with syrup anyway. I also add some cinnamon to the egg mixture and sprinkle a little more on top before I cook it.

Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies

Cream together
    2 cups butter
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups brown sugar

Add
    4 eggs
    2 tsp vanilla

Mix together in a separate bowl
    4 cups flour
    5 cups oatmeal
    (Put small amount of oatmeal at a time until it turns into powder. Measure out 5 cups of oatmeal and "powderize that" -- NOT 5 cups of "powderized" oatmeal.

1 tsp salt
    2 tsp baking powder
    2 tsp baking soda

Mix: all of the above

Add: 24 oz. chocolate cips

Optional: chopped nuts, raisins as you desire.

Bake on greased cookie sheets (make golf - sized balls) and bake about 2" apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE. Makes about 112 cookies.

Pesto Pasta Salad

Cut into quarters or halves (depending on their size)
    1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms
    marinate for several hours or overnight, turning upside down occasionally in Italian Dressing.

Cut or tear into bite size pieces 1-2 cups of cooked chicken or turkey

Cut lengthwise, then cup into bitesize pieces 2 raw zuccini

1 can of small pitted black olives
    1 basket of grape tomatoes

When ready to assemble, cook
    1 lb of rotini paste

Dressing: (can be made the day before)
    2 large dollops of light mayonnaise
    1 cup of ranch dressing (lite works fine)
    6-8 ozs of pesto (storebought from the REFRIG department works fine, or if you want to make fresh, use pine nuts rather than walnuts -- my personal preference.
    1/2 cup of milk (again lite works fine)
    fresh ground pepper (to taste)
    (to taste) - Worchestershire sauce, Tabasco.

cook the drain pasta with cold water. Transfer into a large bowl or pot. Add the mushrooms first And their Ital. dressing to keep pasta from sticking.

Add a little of the pesto dressing to coat. Add and toss the other ingredients, add some more pesto sauce as you go. Save lots of pesto dressing for each person to add with each serving.

NOTE: All ingredients and amounts are to individual taste. If you love pesto, like me, then add more. If you hate or like other veges, don't hesitate to eliminate any and/or add hearts of palm/artichokes, slightly cooked carrots, slightly cooked celery. I've also added imitation crab, green beans, corn kernels, etc. The choice is yours.