Fettuccine Alfredo

Pasta dough: (...or just buy it)
    3 cups 00 flour or unbleached all purpose, plus more for dusting
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 eggs plus 2 yolks
    1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
    1 tablespoon water
    cornmeal, for dusting

To make pasta dough: Combine the flour and salt, shape into a mound and make a well in the center. Add whole eggs, yolks, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the well. Lightly beat with a fork. Gradually draw in the flour from the inside wall of the well in a circular motion. Use 1 hand for mixing and the other to protect the outer wall. Continue to incorporate all the flour until it forms a ball. Knead and fold the dough until elastic and smooth. This should take about 10 minutes. Brush the surface with remaining olive oil and wrap the dough in plastic wrap. Let rest for about 30 minutes. Divide the ball of dough in small sections, cover and reserve the dough you are not immediately using to prevent it from drying out. Form the dough into a rectangle and roll it through a poasta machine, 2 or 3 times, at widest setting.

Ah, hell ---- just buy some Fettuccine.

Alfredo Sauce: (YUM)
    1 pint heavy cream
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
    Freshly cracked black pepper
    Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

Heat heavy cream over low heat in a deep saute pan. Add butter and whisk gently to melt. Sprinkle in cheese and stir. Season with the pepper.

Pour over the pasta, and gently toss the noodles to coat with the sauce. Top with more grated cheese and chopped parsley. Serve immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Fettuccine Alfredo
    Awesome! You make your own noodles. Now that is cooking folks!

recipes

Fettuccine Alfredo

Pasta dough: (...or just buy it)
    3 cups 00 flour or unbleached all purpose, plus more for dusting
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 eggs plus 2 yolks
    1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
    1 tablespoon water
    cornmeal, for dusting

To make pasta dough: Combine the flour and salt, shape into a mound and make a well in the center. Add whole eggs, yolks, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the well. Lightly beat with a fork. Gradually draw in the flour from the inside wall of the well in a circular motion. Use 1 hand for mixing and the other to protect the outer wall. Continue to incorporate all the flour until it forms a ball. Knead and fold the dough until elastic and smooth. This should take about 10 minutes. Brush the surface with remaining olive oil and wrap the dough in plastic wrap. Let rest for about 30 minutes. Divide the ball of dough in small sections, cover and reserve the dough you are not immediately using to prevent it from drying out. Form the dough into a rectangle and roll it through a poasta machine, 2 or 3 times, at widest setting.

Ah, hell ---- just buy some Fettuccine.

Alfredo Sauce: (YUM)
    1 pint heavy cream
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
    Freshly cracked black pepper
    Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

Heat heavy cream over low heat in a deep saute pan. Add butter and whisk gently to melt. Sprinkle in cheese and stir. Season with the pepper.

Pour over the pasta, and gently toss the noodles to coat with the sauce. Top with more grated cheese and chopped parsley. Serve immediately.

I'm at a loss to pair a beer with this. I'd probably just go with Lipitor 80 mg and coronary artery bypass surgery several hours after consumption of this delicious dish.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'm at a loss to pair a beer with this. I'd probably just go with Lipitor 80 mg and coronary artery bypass surgery several hours after consumption of this delicious dish.
    Well, I'd pair it with a tasty, slightly fruity but full-bodied red wine; but if a beer were a must, I think something lighter and more bubbly would better wash down all that yummy creaminess. Maybe a Heinekin or a Harp.

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Well, I'd pair it with a tasty, slightly fruity but full-bodied red wine; but if a beer were a must, I think something lighter and more bubbly would better wash down all that yummy creaminess. Maybe a Heinekin or a Harp.
    I think a wine as you suggested would be a better choice. Heineken-too skunky. Harp-an excellent lager.

If you're looking for something to complement, it needs to be big and bold to hold up to the creaminess of the dish. For this I'd throw out the "light" vs" "dark" view of beer and look to "light" vs. "heavy". You need a heavy beer.

I would go with an IPA, but shy away from ones that are too graprefuity. An English IPA would be my choice. If it had to be an American, Dogfish Head 90 Minute would be a good selection.

Cholesterol Warning

Chocolate Bittersweets - a Land O'Lakes butter recipe

Cookie: 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanila, 1 to 1 1/4 cups flour

Cream butter. Add sugar, salt, and vanilla - cream well. Gradually add flour. Shape into small balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Press center down with your thumb to make an indentation to hold the filling. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes until delicately browned. Fill while warm. Cool. Frost.

Filling: Soften a 3 oz. pkg cream cheese. Blend in 1 cup sifted confectioner's sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and 1 teaspoon vanilla - cream well. Stir in 1/c cup chopped walnuts and 1/2 cup flaked coconut.

Frosting: Melt 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons butter with 2 tablespoons water over low heat, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 cup sifted confectioner's sugar. Beat smooth. Spoon over the filled cookies.

I used to call these pain in the butt cookies because I thought they were a hassle to make. Then one time while I was making them, I realized that they were that much trouble to make.

Tips: I double the frosting and cookie recipe and 2 2/3 the filling and they end up pretty even. By doing 2 2/3 the filling, you can use an 8 oz cream cheese - especially because I very rarely see the 3 oz. size anymore. Plus - the more of these cookies the better. Also, get the cookies ready to bake, mix the filling, and then bake the cookies. That way you can fill them right after you take the cookies out of the oven. Putting the filling on the warm cookie makes it stick.

Definitely a family favorite - Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without these cookies - and my fudge. (Also, Grandma's coffee cake - but I'm not sure I can share that one. I wouldn't give it to my nephew and his fiancee until after the wedding.

Thanks to all the contributors so far! If anyone else out there has a recipe, or recipes, please go ahead and share.

So does anyone have any thoughts on how many recipes would be a good number for the first DBR Cookbook?

Me thinks that 100 recipes will make a good first DBR cookbook. I want to add my amazing SplitPea & Ham soup, and my pasta/pesto salad when it's not in the middle of the night here and I can function like a normal person.

(Also have a great recipe for Chinese fried rice).

I love this thread!! only post here now to keep the thread at the top of the list. This cookbook could bring bucks to the DBR coffers.

So, if you DBRers who haven't posted -- get with the program!!

I'll also post a Mrs. Fields recipe for cookies... how attained is a long story.

Me thinks that 100 recipes will make a good first DBR cookbook. I want to add my amazing SplitPea & Ham soup, and my pasta/pesto salad when it's not in the middle of the night here and I can function like a normal person.

(Also have a great recipe for Chinese fried rice).

I love this thread!! only post here now to keep the thread at the top of the list. This cookbook could bring bucks to the DBR coffers.

So, if you DBRers who haven't posted -- get with the program!!

I'll also post a Mrs. Fields recipe for cookies... how attained is a long story.
    I'm looking forward to the additional recipes dukemomLA. I had originally tried to show some restraint and let others post their recipes, but I've reconsidered my position and would like as many recipes as possible. So to chefs, foodies, eaters, cookers, snackers, etc., post as many recipes as you would like!

I also like 100. We've got a ways to go so keep them coming.

I have a request to all you chefs and budding chefs, or even just "cook b/c I gotta" people --

Side dishes! What're your favorites, your stand-bys, your "bring out the sunday best" items?

I am always looking for recipes with more veggies and/or fruits.

Green Beans with Pancetta and Shallots

3 Cups green beans, rinsed
    1 Cup water
    dash of salt
    1/4 lb. Pancetta, diced
    2 shallots, minced

Destem the green beans. Place the beans, water and salt in your favorite steamer or saucepan over medium-high heat. Steam for 6-8 minutes. The beans should be cooked but still a bit crisp.

Meanwhile, in a saute pan over medium heat, cook the pancetta for 5-7 minutes, or until it starts to crisp. Drain the pancetta onto a paper towel, retaining 1 tsp fat in the pan (discard any excess fat). Return the pan to heat. Cook the shallots in the pan for 5 minutes or until tender.

Drain the green beans. Add the green beans and pancetta back to the pan with the shallots. Cook 2-3 minutes.

Peach French Toast

This is my Christmas morning tradition. I feed a small army with it. Every Christmas I wonder why I only make it once a year...so I think this weekend I'll be whipping some up!

Peach French Toast

12 1-1.5 inch thick slices of French bread
    6 eggs
    6 tablespoons peach preserves
    1.5 cups half and half

---
    Fresh or frozen peach slices
    Powdered sugar
    Slivered Almonds
    Maple Syrup
    1 stick butter softened
    3 T. peach preservers

Combine eggs, preservers and half and half in blender. Blend until smooth and frothy
    Pour into bowl. Dip each slice of bread in mixture and place in shallow pan. Pour remaining egg mixture over slices in pan, cover and refrigerate overnight. (I usually turn the bread once while soaking)

In a separate bowl blend the softened butter with 3 T. peach preserves. Refrigerate.

Fry the French Toast. Serve with prepared butter, top with peach slices, powdered sugar, almonds and/or maple syrup

Make ahead option: I server this Christmas morning for 25+ people and even with my monster size griddle it would take too long to fry it all that morning. I soak the toast the evening of 12/23. All of the frying happens Christmas Eve. I place 5-6 fried slices in foil (in a loaf shape) and refrigerate. Christmas morning I throw them all in the oven for about 30 minutes at 350 – that way we can all eat together and I don’t have to be sequestered in the kitchen chained to my griddle!

No it isn't low fat, or low calorie...but it sure is good

Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    This is my Christmas morning tradition. I feed a small army with it. Every Christmas I wonder why I only make it once a year...so I think this weekend I'll be whipping some up!

Peach French Toast

12 1-1.5 inch thick slices of French bread
    6 eggs
    6 tablespoons peach preserves
    1.5 cups half and half

---
    Fresh or frozen peach slices
    Powdered sugar
    Slivered Almonds
    Maple Syrup
    1 stick butter softened
    3 T. peach preservers

Combine eggs, preservers and half and half in blender. Blend until smooth and frothy
    Pour into bowl. Dip each slice of bread in mixture and place in shallow pan. Pour remaining egg mixture over slices in pan, cover and refrigerate overnight. (I usually turn the bread once while soaking)

In a separate bowl blend the softened butter with 3 T. peach preserves. Refrigerate.

Fry the French Toast. Serve with prepared butter, top with peach slices, powdered sugar, almonds and/or maple syrup

Make ahead option: I server this Christmas morning for 25+ people and even with my monster size griddle it would take too long to fry it all that morning. I soak the toast the evening of 12/23. All of the frying happens Christmas Eve. I place 5-6 fried slices in foil (in a loaf shape) and refrigerate. Christmas morning I throw them all in the oven for about 30 minutes at 350 – that way we can all eat together and I don’t have to be sequestered in the kitchen chained to my griddle!

No it isn't low fat, or low calorie...but it sure is good

I'd have a large glass of milk and a large glass of OJ with this but Lavabe might suggest some of Dogfish Head's new brew called Festina Peche with this delicious AM delight.

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    3 Cups green beans, rinsed
    1 Cup water
    dash of salt
    1/4 lb. Pancetta, diced
    2 shallots, minced

Destem the green beans. Place the beans, water and salt in your favorite steamer or saucepan over medium-high heat. Steam for 6-8 minutes. The beans should be cooked but still a bit crisp.

Meanwhile, in a saute pan over medium heat, cook the pancetta for 5-7 minutes, or until it starts to crisp. Drain the pancetta onto a paper towel, retaining 1 tsp fat in the pan (discard any excess fat). Return the pan to heat. Cook the shallots in the pan for 5 minutes or until tender.

Drain the green beans. Add the green beans and pancetta back to the pan with the shallots. Cook 2-3 minutes.
    This sounds like it would be good with a pork roast/tenderloin and a brown ale.

I'd have a large glass of milk and a large glass of OJ with this but Lavabe might suggest some of Dogfish Head's new brew called Festina Peche with this delicious AM delight.

We serve it with Mimosas!!
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    We serve it with Mimosas!!
    I was close.

BTW, it sounds like you need to come to one of the DBR tail/brunch/lunch/gourmetgates with this recipe.

I'd recommend using a regular Port wine, not a tawny port. You'll get more fruitiness.

Apple-stuffed Pork Chops with Port Wine Reduction

1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
    1/3 C chopped walnuts
    1/3 C dried fruit, chopped (dried cherries are great)
    a few sprigs of fresh Thyme
    about 1/3 C your favorite Port wine
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    4 thick-cut pork chops (with bone)
    salt and pepper
    1/2 C chicken broth
    2 Tbsp flour

Peel and dice the apples and place in a mixing bowl. Immediately sprinkle with 2 Tbps port wine (to halt oxidation). Add walnuts and dried fruit. Remove thyme leaves from woody stems and chop. Add thyme leaves to fruit mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Place pork chops on cutting board. Using a thin knife, cut a pocket in the pork chop. I find it best to hold my palm flat on the top of the chop when I place the knife in - I find this helps me guide the knife in horizontally, so that I won't accidentally cut through the top or bottom of the chop. Do not cut the opening along the whole edge of the chop. You want the opening to only be about 1.5 to 2 inches, enough to scoop the mixture in. Use the tip of the blade to cut the interior of the pocket. Scoop fruit mixture into pocket until full. Season the outside of the pork with salt and pepper as desired.

Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp olive oil. When oil is warm, add chops to pan. Saute for 7-8 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove chops from pan, and keep warm. Add remainder of Port wine to pan to deglaze. Scrape the browned bits from the bottom of pan. After the wine has cooked down for about 2 minutes, add the chicken broth. Whisk in flour. Bring liquid back to a boil, and cook until thickened.

Serve the chops over mashed potatoes and top with the port wine sauce.

wilson's (Mom's) Chicken Parmesan

-boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 or 2 packages, anywhere from 1-2.5 lbs.)
    -marinara sauce (store-bought or make your own)
    -bread crumbs
    -grated Parmesan cheese (the kind that comes in a canister is really fine, but fresh is of course really good)
    -garlic, onions, peppers (at cook's discretion)
    -oregano
    -mozzarella cheese

Pound your chicken breasts to about 1/4-1/2" thickness. Bread with the following mixture:

-1 part bread crumbs
    -1 part parmesan
    -oregano, crushed red pepper, etc. to taste

Pan-fry them on medium heat until the breading browns. Pour a layer of marinara in a casserole dish, then place your chicken, then another layer of sauce. Add any additional seasonings you desire, followed by a layer of Parmesan and a layer of mozzarella (again, according to taste, but I like mine pretty gooey). Sometimes I also drizzle some balsamic vinegar on top. Bake at 350 for 25-30 min.

Many recipes call for this to be served on a bed of pasta, which is good, but I usually just eat it straight. It also makes excellent leftovers, cut up into a bowl of pasta, baked on a toasted sub, or just by itself.