Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Chili

Today I am cooking up a big 'ol batch of chili, with red kidney beans and ground beef. I usually pitch in my ingredients and spices to taste, but am perfectly willing to abide by anyone's home tested recipe. If I don't try it today, I will in the future, I love chili, especially in football season.

Smile Strange brew!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Today I am cooking up a big 'ol batch of chili, with red kidney beans and ground beef. I usually pitch in my ingredients and spices to taste, but am perfectly willing to abide by anyone's home tested recipe. If I don't try it today, I will in the future, I love chili, especially in football season.
    In lieu of a Madagascar Three Horses Beer, I believe a good African TUSKER would go well with this.

recipes

A rich brown ale would quench the chili fires, as would a nice porter, I'd wager. Have you tried making your chili with some beer?

Thumbs up Grandmom's Chicken/Turkey Soup

As penned by my mom, from her memory as my grandmom (dad's mom) had showed her.

I make matzo balls with it (let me know if you want that recipe too and I can post it), and sometimes throw some wide egg noodles in too.

You can use chicken or turkey, or a combination of both. Works especially well if you have carcass/bones leftover after making a whole bird or turkey breast. I usually buy a package of turkey necks/tails and a whole cut up chicken if I don't have a carcass that I've previously frozen.

My family (read: my father & I) don't like veggies in our soup. Cut up carrots, etc, doesn't do it for us. Instead, we puree the veggies as noted below then blend them back into the soup. Adds color & great flavor to the soup, and you're getting your veggies at the same time!

One other note... we don't use dill (it's listed as optional). A lot of chicken soup recipes call for dill, and my aunt makes it with dill (and doesn't puree the veggies), but it's all up to you.

Keep in mind that most ingredients are to taste, but estimated amount are shown. You're going to need a BIG stock pot. Huge. Immense. Because you'll only get about half the volume in soup.

INGREDIENTS
    1 chicken &/or turkey (or parts, necks & backs [stronger flavor], or leftover chicken or turkey carcass bones)
    4 carrots (peeled), cut in half or thirds
    3 celery stalks (with leaf tops), also cut in halves or thirds
    2 large onions, quartered
    salt & pepper to taste
    parsley (I go with fresh & coarsely chop it)
    dill (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
    Put all ingredients in large stock pot and fill with water. Bring to boil (covered), then lower heat and simmer about 2-3 hours.

Strain soup when done (cool a little first).

Puree some carrots, onions, & celery in blender or food processor, if desired, until liquified (add some soup to help thin it out). Once pureed, mix into strained soup.

Enjoy!

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    As penned by my mom, from her memory as my grandmom (dad's mom) had showed her.

I make matzo balls with it (let me know if you want that recipe too and I can post it), and sometimes throw some wide egg noodles in too.

You can use chicken or turkey, or a combination of both. Works especially well if you have carcass/bones leftover after making a whole bird or turkey breast. I usually buy a package of turkey necks/tails and a whole cut up chicken if I don't have a carcass that I've previously frozen.

My family (read: my father & I) don't like veggies in our soup. Cut up carrots, etc, doesn't do it for us. Instead, we puree the veggies as noted below then blend them back into the soup. Adds color & great flavor to the soup, and you're getting your veggies at the same time!

One other note... we don't use dill (it's listed as optional). A lot of chicken soup recipes call for dill, and my aunt makes it with dill (and doesn't puree the veggies), but it's all up to you.

Keep in mind that most ingredients are to taste, but estimated amount are shown. You're going to need a BIG stock pot. Huge. Immense. Because you'll only get about half the volume in soup.

INGREDIENTS
    1 chicken &/or turkey (or parts, necks & backs [stronger flavor], or leftover chicken or turkey carcass bones)
    4 carrots (peeled), cut in half or thirds
    3 celery stalks (with leaf tops), also cut in halves or thirds
    2 large onions, quartered
    salt & pepper to taste
    parsley (I go with fresh & coarsely chop it)
    dill (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
    Put all ingredients in large stock pot and fill with water. Bring to boil (covered), then lower heat and simmer about 2-3 hours.

Strain soup when done (cool a little first).

Puree some carrots, onions, & celery in blender or food processor, if desired, until liquified (add some soup to help thin it out). Once pureed, mix into strained soup.

Enjoy!
    I'd like a 1/2 turkey sandwich with Havarti cheese, lettuce, tomato and a thin layer of pesto mayo to go with my chicken soup and pale ale, please.

An excellent fish recipe

Excellent grilled fish (enjoy):

HALIBUT WITH SAMBAL VINAIGRETTE AND WASABI CREAM

For sambal vinaigrette
    1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
    2 teaspoons sambal oelek (Southeast Asian chile sauce)
    1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1/3 cup vegetable oil

For wasabi cream
    2 teaspoons wasabi (green horseradish) powder
    3 tablespoons water
    1/4 cup sour cream

For halibut (or salmon)
    1 (2-lb) halibut steak (1 1/2 inches thick), skinned, boned, and cut into 4 pieces
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil

Accompaniment: pickled ginger

Make vinaigrette: Blend vinaigrette ingredients in a blender until smooth. Season with salt.

Make cream: Whisk together wasabi powder and water until smooth, then whisk in sour cream. Season with salt.

Make halibut (or salmon): Pat fish dry and season with salt and pepper. Grill fish.
    or
    Sprinkle 1 side of each piece with parsley. Heat a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over high heat until hot. Add oil, then fish, parsleyed sides up. Sear fish until undersides are browned, about 1 minute.

Turn fish over and put skillet in middle of oven. Roast until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.

Serve fish, parsleyed sides up, with a spoonful of each sauce.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Now, if you could provide allenmurray with a recipe for a coconut custard pie, you'd have a friend for life.
    The recipe isn't necessary, just the pie will suffice (actually, both would be nice).

recipe

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Excellent grilled fish (enjoy):

HALIBUT WITH SAMBAL VINAIGRETTE AND WASABI CREAM

For sambal vinaigrette
    1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
    2 teaspoons sambal oelek (Southeast Asian chile sauce)
    1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1/3 cup vegetable oil

For wasabi cream
    2 teaspoons wasabi (green horseradish) powder
    3 tablespoons water
    1/4 cup sour cream

For halibut (or salmon)
    1 (2-lb) halibut steak (1 1/2 inches thick), skinned, boned, and cut into 4 pieces
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil

Accompaniment: pickled ginger

Make vinaigrette: Blend vinaigrette ingredients in a blender until smooth. Season with salt.

Make cream: Whisk together wasabi powder and water until smooth, then whisk in sour cream. Season with salt.

Make halibut (or salmon): Pat fish dry and season with salt and pepper. Grill fish.
    or
    Sprinkle 1 side of each piece with parsley. Heat a well-seasoned cast-iron skillet over high heat until hot. Add oil, then fish, parsleyed sides up. Sear fish until undersides are browned, about 1 minute.

Turn fish over and put skillet in middle of oven. Roast until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.

Serve fish, parsleyed sides up, with a spoonful of each sauce.
    I believe you'd need something with a bit more flavor with this one. Perhaps a very hoppy IPA or a Belgian style triple ale.

Okay folks, we've got 20 recipes so far! Looks like a pretty good of mix of cuisine. I think we could used more baked goods, desserts, snacky foods and drinks. Might be kind of fun to throw in a few recipes that will be easy to whip up for a Duke game!

Here's the the list so far.
    * Recipes did not have names. I did my best to name them. Please PM me with corrections.
    1. Official Duke Toll House Cookies
    2. Caribbean Pork Tenderloin*
    3. Enchiladas
    4. Peanut Butter Milkshake
    5. Marinated Herb Chicken*
    6. Asian Ginger Chicken*
    7. Grilled Potatoes
    8. Beef Stew with Herbed Biscuits
    9. Prosciutto Grilled Scallops
    10. Val's Brisket
    11. Chipotle Pork Loin with Peach Salsa
    12. Beer Boiled Shrimp
    13. Cream of Broccoli Soup
    14. Key Lime Pie
    15. Chocolate Tart*
    16. Shrimp Mosca
    17. Sausage-Lentil Soup
    18. Coffee and Peppered Steak
    19. Grandmom's Chicken/Turkey Soup
    20. HALIBUT WITH SAMBAL VINAIGRETTE AND WASABI CREAM

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    A rich brown ale would quench the chili fires, as would a nice porter, I'd wager. Have you tried making your chili with some beer?
    Nope, but I'm ordering my next beer kit in the very near future, with UNC tailgate as a definite tasting date. I'm going with a scotch ale. I might have some thing else I'm bottling tonite to bring to the State game, plus chili.

recipe

Nope, but I'm ordering my next beer kit in the very near future, with UNC tailgate as a definite tasting date. I'm going with a scotch ale. I might have some thing else I'm bottling tonite to bring to the State game, plus chili.
    Then it looks like you'll be in charge of the menu and organizing the 11/8 brunch/lunch/tail/gourmetgate. I should have a nice collection of fall/winter ales by then but could be persuaded to bring only comestibles and partake of your homebrews.

Then it looks like you'll be in charge of the menu and organizing the 11/8 brunch/lunch/tail/gourmetgate. I should have a nice collection of fall/winter ales by then but could be persuaded to bring only comestibles and partake of your homebrews.
    I'll lead the way with the homebrews. 11/8 will be optimistic for finished quality, but the kit is in the mail, so possible. 11/29 I will have at least 2 selections. Bottling is out for tonite, I fermented up a kit long, long ago, and had burned myself out on so much bottling. (was bottling a case a week) Finally opened the brewbucket tonite, not nearly as much mold as I expected, but obviously some was present and it is now getting the back yard anthill pretty toasted.

I never make chili the same way twice, but I often add chocolate, and sometimes lime juice to balance the chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I never make chili the same way twice, but I often add chocolate, and sometimes lime juice to balance the chocolate.
    Chocolate? New one to me, I think I'd have to test with a small amount, but I don't make small amounts.

2 dessert recipes from 2535's Grandma

Lemon Ice Cream
    In a 4 or 5 quart freezer place:
    4 C sugar
    1 C fresh lemon juice (or 1 1/2 C Real Lemon)
    1 quart whole milk
    Stir.
    Add: 1 pint whipping cream
    whole milk to fill line.
    Stir and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

"Satiny smooth and tart!! My family's favorite for years." - Grandma

Note: I cut this recipe in thirds to make in the ice cream attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer - still satiny smooth and tart, so I think it could work in any table-top ice cream maker.

Cold Oven Pound Cake

DON'T PREHEAT OVEN

Cream 3 sticks butter & 3 C sugar.
    Add 1/2 t salt, 3 T Lemon extract (or 1 T vanilla)
    Mix.
    Add 5 eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each.
    Add sifted:
    3 1/4 C flour
    1/2 t baking powder
    Alternately with 1 C milk (add some of the flour mixture, add some of the milk, etc.)

Pour into tube pan sprayed with Pam or greased and floured (note: I use Wilton's Cake Release for all my cake pans - works like a dream)

Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour & 40 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes then invert over plate or cooling rack until cake releases from pan. Immediately turn right side up for remainder of cooling.

Chocolate? New one to me, I think I'd have to test with a small amount, but I don't make small amounts.
    A small amount of chocolate goes a long way, as does honey, maple syrup, etc. I usually start with about 3 - 4 lbs of meat for my chili and don't think I would add more than an tbsp of sweetener to the pot. It would be really great to get some chili recipes in this thread (and the book) but I totally understand the difficulty in posting the recipe, which is why you don't see my recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by shereec View Post
    Lemon Ice Cream
    In a 4 or 5 quart freezer place:
    4 C sugar
    1 C fresh lemon juice (or 1 1/2 C Real Lemon)
    1 quart whole milk
    Stir.
    Add: 1 pint whipping cream
    whole milk to fill line.
    Stir and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.

"Satiny smooth and tart!! My family's favorite for years." - Grandma
    YES!!! I am so happy you posted this recipe. Folks, now I know I'm biased, but let me tell you... this ice cream is fantastic. I can remember summers in Durham, playing outside with my brother while someone hand-cranked this to perfection. This is what family recipes are all about!!! Great memories, it's simple yet so delicious and it delivers every time.

Can it be made without the ice cream maker thingie (technical term, yanno)?

I think the technical term is: ice cream maker thingie!

You mean just pour into a container that you put in the freezer and stir every now and then? Not sure that would work because then it might get crystals (and then you lose the satiny part...), but I suppose it's worth a try.

I saw this thing not too long ago that was an ice cream maker for campers. It's a hard plastic ball about the size of a soccer ball. There are openings on opposite sides of the ball with a metal cylinder in the center. You put your ice cream mixture in the metal cylinder, put the cap on and then fill the remainder of the ball with ice through the opposite opening. Put that cap on and toss it around. The packaging swears that you'll have ice cream in about 15-20 minutes. It's a party game AND a dessert! AND sounds like somebody should get one and take it to the next Brunchgate...