Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blue Devil View Post

I like a lot more old bay on my crabs then that

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonelson View Post
    I like a lot more old bay on my crabs then that
    That is just cooked with the Old bay on top. I always have a huge bowl filled with more to dip the meat in once I pick it.

EASY Jumbalaya Recipe

My wife never cooks, but I was ill last night so she made this recipe I had clipped from the paper. It is very easy, quick, and all made in one pot. It is VERY good!!! We are going to try it with shrimp next time.

3 Step Jambalaya

Ingredients
    1 pkg. Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage, cut into 1/4-in. slices
    1 (6.8 oz) pkg. Rice-A-Roni Spanish Rice
    2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    1/3 cup chopped bell pepper, any variety
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 cups water
    1 (14 1/2 oz) can tomatoes, diced, drained
    2 Tbsp. cajun seasoning
    Hot sauce to taste

Preparation Steps
    1) Melt butter in large saucepan over high heat, add rice-vermicelli mix, garlic, onion and peppers and sauté for 5 minutes.
    2) Mix in remaining ingredients, including rice seasoning and desired sausage amount and bring to a boil.
    3) Lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is cooked. Remove from heat and stir. Add hot sauce to taste.

modify

That's a solid recipe, but I'd suggest just a few adjustments (which won't make it any harder).

I'd sub a medium grain white rice for the Rica-Roni. You could also leave out the tomatoes (which makes it a creole version ... the cajuns don't add tomato). I would add a little celery with my diced onion and green peppers (the ratio is 1/2 onion; 1/4 peppers/1.4 celery).

The main thing is to substitute two cups of chicken broth (you can find it on the soup aisle) in place of the water.

Other minor suggestions ...

-- sear the sausage slices first and remove them, before you soften the Trinity (onion/celery/peppers). Add them back when you add the broth.

-- Load up the meat ... in addition to sausage, add a couple of diced up boneless, skinless chicken breasts (add them when you bring the broth to a simmer -- they'll be perfectly cooked by the time the rice is done) ... I also like to add shrimp at the last minute -- about 2-3 minutes before the rice is done. Note: be sure to season the chicken and/or shrimp BEFORE adding to the pot.

As someone who does a lot of cajun/creole cooking I can vouch for OlympicFans suggestions. However, by far the most important one he makes is to wait until just before serving to add the shrimp. Shrimp cook very quickly.

Blue crabs

Recipe sounds great. But the steamed blue crabs! WOW. Boy do I miss them. Raised much of my early days in Va. Beach area, my family had steamed crabs alot. We would catch them (most of the time) at Lynhaven inlet. Yum.I know you can buy them inland but they are not as good. Thanks for sharing.

Need more recipes.

I have some more brew suggestions.