Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    This has been rather interesting. Thanks for the invite/suggestion 2535. What makes it even more interesting to me is I rarely have beer with dinner whether we are at a restaurant or at home. We don't eat out much and then it's usually a soup/sandwich, Mexican, Chinese or Italian. A beer with dinner will make me even more tired/sleepy than I already am after a day's work and I still have some office/business work I do at home in the evenings which is usually when I do my, ah, tastings. I think it would also be interesting for the wine experts here to offer their suggestions for pairings and some after dinner dessert wines.
    There is great pub in Charlotte, NC called Sir Edmund Haley's that offers a Monday Night Sushi Menu where each plate is paired with a beer. May sound bizarre at first (British Pub, sushi, beer, MNF?) but it really works. It helps that Chef Kengo has mad skills. Charlotteans, don't miss out on this.

http://halleyspub.com/l/menus/sushi.shtml

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by shereec View Post
    Since John is a year-round griller, December is a good bet. Just let me know your arrival date.

And as a note to you and others - I don't know how anyone cooks without beer...

Thanks, dukemomLA! I do have a rosemary bush in my garden, although I spent years replanting until I found a variety that would last year round. Now I have to give it severe haircuts every year.

Okay - here's a recipe for Cream of Broccoli Soup
    Ingredients:
    1 bunch of fresh broccoli
    1 large onion
    3 cans chicken broth
    half & half
    2 T butter
    1/4 c flour
    salt & pepper

Cut up veggies and boil in broth until veggies are tender (about 20 minutes). Puree veggies and broth. You can do this several ways. I love my wand mixer, but running through the blender in batches works well also. Set puree aside in bowl.

Melt butter over medium heat and add flour. Stir, cooking, for a few minutes to make a roux. Add the puree, salt & pepper to taste (freshly ground white pepper is yummy) and stir over medium heat until the soup begins to thicken. Just before serving, add half & half (I use most of a pint).

Serve with croutons. Can also add grated cheddar cheese.
    Make it a soup and 1/2 sandwich and pour me a hefeweizen or one of the lighter pale ales with this combo.

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    Here you go:

Key Lime Pie
    Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie

Graham Cracker Crust:
    1 cup plus 2½ tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
    5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
    1/3 cup sugar

Filling:
    3 egg yolks
    2 limes, zest grated (about 1½ teaspoons)
    1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (preferably Key limes)

Topping:
    1 cup heavy or whipping cream, chilled
    3 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar
    For the graham cracker crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch pie pan. Break up the graham crackers: place in a food processor and process to crumbs. (If you don¹t have a food processor, place the crackers in a large plastic bag: seal and then crush the crackers with a rolling pin.) Add the melted butter and sugar and pulse or stir until combined. Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of the pan, forming a neat border around the edge. Bake the crust until set and golden, 8 minutes. Set aside on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.
    For the filling: Meanwhile, in a electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at a high speed until very fluffy, abut 5 minutes. Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3 or 4 minutes longer. Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the lime juice, mixing just until combined, no longer. Pour mixture into the pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the filling has set. Cool on a wire rack, then refrigerate. Freeze for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
    For the topping: Whip the cream and the confectioners' sugar until nearly stiff. Cut the pie in wedges and serve very cold, topping each wedge with a large dollop of whipped cream.
    Another easy one: a tall, cold glass of milk.

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I'd like to take the time to thank devildeac for pairing recipes with beer, though I'm a little disappointed he couldn't match anything with cspan's Peanut Butter Milkshake. Anyone care to pick up his slack?

It's also a good time to encourage everyone to submit drink recipes. In my opinion, mixologists don't get enough credit in your every day culinary circles. Drink recipes are welcome.
    See my suggestion with TNTDevil's Key Lime Pie recipe. I can't think of a single brew I'd like to have with what sounds like a classic, delicious Key Lime Pie. And, no, bud lime or miller lime or one of those new brews like that does not qulaify.

See my suggestion with TNTDevil's Key Lime Pie recipe. I can't think of a single brew I'd like to have with what sounds like a classic, delicious Key Lime Pie. And, no, bud lime or miller lime or one of those new brews like that does not qulaify.
    So this rules out Chelato too? Ugh, I shudder at the thought.

Seriously though, that's a tough pairing. Key Lime is really delicate (yet bold) so I thin it would be really difficult to pair it with beer. Perhaps a nice warm coffee based liquor drink, or maybe something with chambord.

Hmm how about:
    1 part kahula
    1 part chambord
    4 parts hot coffe
    topped with fresh whipped cream

recipes

Seriously though, that's a tough pairing. Key Lime is really delicate (yet bold) so I thin it would be really difficult to pair it with beer. Perhaps a nice warm coffee based liquor drink, or maybe something with chambord.

Hmm how about:
    1 part kahula
    1 part chambord
    4 parts hot coffe
    Hmm, a dessert coffee... that sounds like a nice ending to an evening.

Chelato?

Hmm how about:
    1 part kahula
    1 part chambord
    4 parts hot coffe
    Chelato? You got me on that one. Clamato? Gelato? Chelation therapy? (jk with this one)

Shrimp Mosca

This one's great for group eating -- make a couple big batches, with a few empty bowls for shrimp shells, and dig in with fingers and bread.

Ingredients:
    2 lbs whole large shrimp (unpeeled, but cleaned is my preference, as the peeling is part of the eating enjoyment.)
    1 cup olive oil
    4 t. salt
    2 t. fresh ground pepper
    2 t. oregano
    2 t. rosemary leaves
    3 bay leaves
    25 cloves garlic (mashed)
    1 cup dry white wine

Directions:
    Cook all ingredients except wine in large skillet over medium high heat for 15-20 minutes til shrimp turn pink & most of the juices are gone. Add wine. Cook over low heat until 1/2 the liquid is gone, about 5-7 minutes. Serve with crusty bread - make sure you have extra bread - you'll go through it with this sauce.

To drink, finish the wine! (Fat Tire also goes well with this.)

Sausage-Lentil Soup

This is one of my favorite soup recipes; I got it from “Taste of Home” magazine.

Sausage-Lentil Soup
    Ingredients:
    • ½ lb bulk Italian sausage
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
    • 1 large carrot, chopped
    • 2 (10.5 oz) cans chicken broth
    • 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes w/liquid
    • 1 cup water
    • 1 garlic clove, minced
    • 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper
    • ½ tsp pepper
    • ¾ cup lentils, rinsed

Directions:

In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown and crumble sausage, drain. Add next 9 ingredients, bring to a boil. Add lentils. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts)

Chelato? You got me on that one. Clamato? Gelato? Chelation therapy? (jk with this one)
    I can barely stand to post this... budweiser + clamato, in a can.

recipe

You are Jack Marin.

recipe

That should be classified as an illegal substance.

Toxic/hazardous waste at a minimum...

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    This is one of my favorite soup recipes; I got it from “Taste of Home” magazine.

Sausage-Lentil Soup
    Ingredients:
    • ½ lb bulk Italian sausage
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
    • 1 large carrot, chopped
    • 2 (10.5 oz) cans chicken broth
    • 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes w/liquid
    • 1 cup water
    • 1 garlic clove, minced
    • 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper
    • ½ tsp pepper
    • ¾ cup lentils, rinsed

Directions:

In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown and crumble sausage, drain. Add next 9 ingredients, bring to a boil. Add lentils. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts)
    A brown ale sounds appropriate. If it is a dark/spicy soup, a robust porter on a cool fall day would be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Toxic/hazardous waste at a minimum...
    I dry heave whenever I walk past this stuff in the cooler. Apparently it's doing quite well down here in Southern California. I am baffled anytime I see someone with it in their shopping cart.

I have a true weakness for Key Lime Pie and TNT's rec looks great. I'm also a great believer in the easy way. Edward's brand pie is as close to making your own as you'll ever get.

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    This one's great for group eating -- make a couple big batches, with a few empty bowls for shrimp shells, and dig in with fingers and bread.

Ingredients:
    2 lbs whole large shrimp (unpeeled, but cleaned is my preference, as the peeling is part of the eating enjoyment.)
    1 cup olive oil
    4 t. salt
    2 t. fresh ground pepper
    2 t. oregano
    2 t. rosemary leaves
    3 bay leaves
    25 cloves garlic (mashed)
    1 cup dry white wine

Directions:
    Cook all ingredients except wine in large skillet over medium high heat for 15-20 minutes til shrimp turn pink & most of the juices are gone. Add wine. Cook over low heat until 1/2 the liquid is gone, about 5-7 minutes. Serve with crusty bread - make sure you have extra bread - you'll go through it with this sauce.

To drink, finish the wine! (Fat Tire also goes well with this.)
    Ahh, DA combining recipes and beers now. Fat Tire (or white wine) sound like fine choices with that dish. She says all that garlic (still, 25 cloves) makes a nice combination with all the other ingredients.

A brown ale sounds appropriate. If it is a dark/spicy soup, a robust porter on a cool fall day would be a good choice.
    It's not really a dark soup, but it can be a little spicy depending on what kind of sausage you use. The recipe calls for Italian sausage, but I've been known to use regular pork sausage (or the reduced fat kind). Ymmm. I think it may be time for me to go shopping for the ingredients! (Maybe I should resurrect the Ymmm...soup! thread. Or not. )

Coffee and Peppered Steak

The Stuff
    • 1 part coffee beans, whole
    • 2 parts pepper corns
    • New York Strips or your favorite steak
    • Kosher salt

The Cooking
    1. Fire up the grill.
    2. Pour a beer.
    3. Throw the coffee beans and pepper into a grinder and grind into a coarse rub. I have an old coffee grinder that I use. If you don't have a grinder, get a mortar and pestle. If you don't have a mortar and pestle, I suppose you could substitute ground coffee and pepper, but it's no where near the same.
    4. Coat the steak with coffee/pepper rub.
    5. Drink beer.
    6. Salt generously.
    7. Grill according to your preference, which should be medium rare to medium.
    8. Drink beer.
    9. Pull steaks off when they're done. Let em sit for few minutes.
    10. Eat.
    11. Drink.
    12. Be Merry.

recipes

The Stuff
    • 1 part coffee beans, whole
    • 2 parts pepper corns
    • New York Strips or your favorite steak
    • Kosher salt

The Cooking
    1. Fire up the grill.
    2. Pour a beer.
    3. Throw the coffee beans and pepper into a grinder and grind into a coarse rub. I have an old coffee grinder that I use. If you don't have a grinder, get a mortar and pestle. If you don't have a mortar and pestle, I suppose you could substitute ground coffee and pepper, but it's no where near the same.
    4. Coat the steak with coffee/pepper rub.
    5. Drink beer.
    6. Salt generously.
    7. Grill according to your preference, which should be medium rare to medium.
    8. Drink beer.
    9. Pull steaks off when they're done. Let em sit for few minutes.
    10. Eat.
    11. Drink.
    12. Be Merry.
    A porter or a coffee flavored stout sounds like it would make a nice combination with this.