Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

The Official Recipe Thread

Okay folks, it seems there's a fair number of chefs on the boards, and I'll wager quite a number of people that enjoy eating food as well. dukemomLA also brought up the idea of a DBR Cookbook, with others showing some interest (DukeUsul, dukefanSD). I think it is a great idea too.

So let's share some recipes and see where this thread goes. If there's enough interest, I'll be happy to coordinate production of a recipe book.

Official Duke Toll House Cookies

Credit Dukepsy1963 for pursuing this recipe originally with the folks at Duke Archives. I've copied Dukepsy1963's post in its entirety here:

Duke Archives just sent me the "classic" Duke Dining Halls recipe for the Official Duke Toll House Cookies....just in time for the NCAA. Eat 'em and urge the team on!!!

Here it is:

Ingredients:

1 cup butter
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 white sugar
    2 eggs
    2 1/4 cups flour
    1 tsp.salt
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 cup chopped nuts
    2 packages semi-sweet chocolate morsels
    1 teaspoon of vanilla

Procedure:

1. Let butter stand at room temp until softened. Combine butter with sugars in a round bottomed bowl and work with a wooden spoon until creamy. Add the eggs (well-beaten) to the sugar and butter.

2. Sift flour with salt.

3. Dissolve baking soda in hot water and add alternately with flour to the sugar and butter mixture.

4. Add nuts, chocolate morsels, and vanilla and mix until evenly distributed

5. Drop on greased cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls for a 3" cookie. Yields 6 dozen cookies.

6. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until done.

________
    Enjoy them during the games! Let me know how they worked out for you!

BTW. They also sent another official recipe that I will be sharing with you shortly. ... the Hermit cookie one.

Go Duke!!!!

I'd be willing to help out as much as I can. First off by providing a few recipes. I'll have to think about what I want to contribute...

I tend to bake more than anything. I'm kind of the designated baker in the family. And jellies. That could be my contribution.

Love this thread. I do a lot of grilling (pretty much every night something is on the grill) and so I keep a lot of dry rubs in the kitchen depending on what mood I'm in. For the record, since no baking is involved, my measurements are VERY approximate and can be changed based on your likes.

This is a Caribbean rub that I use on pork tenderloins. I generally serve it with a side of either a tropical fruit salad or I'll fry some plantains.

Equal parts kosher salt and black pepper
    1/2 as much curry powder and allspice
    1/4 as much coriander
    relative to the rest, a small amount of cumin (too much overpowers)
    Fresh orange and lime zest--as much or as little based on how much you want to mitigate the heat.

To make the pork tenderloin, cover in olive oil and apply as much of the rub as you want. Let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or so.

Get the grill as hot as you can (at least 500 degrees) and sear both sides of the meat (~3 minutes a side)

Next, set the grill to indirect medium and cook the tenderloin for another 20 minutes or so (for a 1lb tenderloin) to get medium-well. Some people don't like the idea of pink-in-the-middle pork, but it doesn't bother me. When done, let sit for 5 minutes.

I can make a pretty mean enchilada.

2 cans Old El Paso Enchilada sauce
    1-1 1/2 lb ground beef
    Old El Paso taco seasoning packet
    Tortillas (I prefer flour)
    Oil
    shredded mexican blend cheese
    green onions, thinly sliced

brown beef according to taco seasoning packet
    Fill a skillet (larger than tortilla) with oil about 1-2" deep
    Lightly fry both sides of each tortilla, just so they are lightly crispy
    layer the lightly fried tortillas w/ paper towels to soak up oil
    (If you don't want to fry the tortillas then put them under the broiler for a little bit to get them a little crispy. be sure they are not there too long)
    lightly coat bottom of baking dish with enchilada sauce (this will prevent them from sticking)

Assemble:
    Take a tortilla, spread a little enchilada sauce on it
    Fill with beef, cheese, green onions
    roll and place in baking dish
    repeat
    pour left over enchilada sauce onto enchiladas in the baking dish so that they are well coated but not drowning. I like to leave the ends of the enchiladas uncoated so they area little crispy.
    Top with shredded cheese everywhere and whatever left over green onions you have.

bake @ 350 degrees for about 20minutes, until hot and bubbly.
    let rest for about 5 minutes before serving.

I like to serve it with sour cream, chopped lettuce, and chopped jarred jalepenos
    enjoy!
    Last edited by ghost; 09-18-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: added recipie... duh!

My steaks are a very prized and dear secret. I'd have to give it a lot of thought to release the joys of their simple wonders.

I mentioned on another thread about a rice dish that goes really well with pork, also good with seafood. It involved substituting the water with pineapple juice and fluffing with butter and pineapple chunks when cooked and removed from the heat. Very important omission! Add honey to the juice when cooking. The juice by itself doesn't lend the sweetness that the dish deserves. Try about three tablespoons per two cups of the uncooked rice.

Peanut Butter Milkshake

Best milkshake I've ever had:

Take 1/4 cup milk. (we use 2%)
    2 T peanut butter (we use creamy JIF)
    1 T honey (or maple syrup)

Blend until smooth.

Add 3-4 scoops vanilla ice cream. (we use Mayfield)

Blend to desired consistency. Makes 12 oz.

I love to marinate chicken and grill it. I usually have all the ingredients on hand, so it's a real easy way to throw together an easy meal. Here are two of my favorite marinades:

1/4 C canola oil
    1/2 C white wine
    juice from 4 lemons/limes
    1 Tbsp zest/rind from the lemons/limes
    3 garlic cloves, peeled, minced
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp cracked pepper
    1 tsp dried thyme or 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
    1 tsp dried oregano or 1 Tbsp fresh oregano
    1 tsp dried sage or 1 Tbsp fresh sage

Mix all the ingredients in a ziploc bag with a pound or so of washed and forked (stab the meat with a fork) boneless chicken (breasts or thighs). Marinate 1-4 hrs. Drink the rest of the wine while you grill the meat.

1/4 C soy sauce
    1/2 C Mirin (rice wine) or other white wine
    1 Tbsp Tuong ot Toi (Vietnamese chili garlic sauce) or other hot sauce
    1 Tbsp peeled, minced ginger
    2 tsp hot Chinese mustard
    3 cloves garlic, peeled, minced

Same directions as above. You can also use this to marinate sliced meat and then stir fry with your favorite veggies. Store any unused ginger in a ziploc bag and freeze for up to several months.

ETA: Oh as a side dish for the chicken, how about grilled potatoes?

4 yukon gold potatoes, with skin on!, sliced into 1/4 inch discs
    1 Tbsp butter
    1 onion, cut into rings
    1 bell pepper, cut into bite size pieces
    salt and pepper to taste

Take a sheet of aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray. Drop the potato slices on it (not flat, they should overlap). Arrange onion and bell peppers over potatoes. Place a few pats of butter on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Seal the aluminum foil. It's usually best to wrap it a second time. You probably want to make 2-3 packets so they are manageable to handle.

Heat your grill to medium-hot. Place foil packets on grill. Cook 20-30 minutes, turning and flipping occasionally. I usually put the potatoes on the grill 10 minutes before I put chicken on and 15 minutes before beef.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    My steaks are a very prized and dear secret. I'd have to give it a lot of thought to release the joys of their simple wonders.
    I feel the same way about my grandmother's sweet & sour meatball recipe. I hold it very close to my heart, and have only ever shared it with 2-3 other people.

However, if I can find her chicken soup recipe, I will gladly share!

Both are the taste-measure type of recipes. You sort of use this much or that much until it tastes right...

Beef Stew with Herbed Biscuits

The stuff
    • 3-4 slices of bacon, coarsely chopped
    • 1.5 lbs sirloin tip roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
    • 2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
    • 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
    • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 1 tbsp flour
    • 1 cup red wine
    • 3/4 cup water
    • 1 tsp tomato paste
    • 1 egg, beaten
    • Your favorite buttermilk biscuit recipe plus 1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, rosemary or thyme.

Here is a link to Alton Brown's recipe from the show "Good Eats", as featured on the Food Network Website. Modify his recipe by adding the chopped herbs right before pouring in the Buttermilk. Disclaimer: I've never used Alton's recipe, I just grabbed it for ease.

The cooking
    1. Mix the wine, water, and tomato sauce together until blended, set aside.
    2. Pour remaining wine into glasses. Serve.
    3. Cook the bacon over medium heat in a large Dutch oven (or any other oven-safe pot) until crispy.
    4. Eat a few pieces of bacon, drain the rest on a paper towel.
    5. Lightly coat the meat with flour, then brown in the remaining bacon grease on all sides, about 6-8 minutes. Brown the meat in batches if you have to, don't over crowd the pan. Set aside the beef.
    6. Add the vegetables and saute until golden brown. About 6-8 minutes. Stir gently with a wooden spoon. Make sure you get up all those yummy brown pieces. Have a sip of wine.
    7. Add garlic and saute for about a minute.
    8. Return the meat to the pot. Have a sip of wine.
    9. Slowly stir in the liquid mix, and bring to a boil.
    10. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer on the stove for about 1.5 hours.
    11. Refill wine glasses as needed.
    12. Preheat the oven to 400º.
    13. Make the biscuits.
    14. Arrange biscuits in a single layer on top of the stew.
    15. Brush with eggs.
    16. Throw the stew in the oven and bake until biscuits are golden brown.
    17. Eat it.

Prosciutto Grilled Scallops

This smells and tastes great. It's a great appetizer you can throw on the grill right before you start cooking up the main dish.

The stuff
    • Bunch of scallops
    • Prosciutto
    • Bunch of rosemary sprigs
    • Olive oil

The cooking
    1. Fire up the grill.
    2. Drink a beer.
    3. Wrap scallops with prosciutto, trimming any excess meat.
    4. Skewer the little buggers with the rosemary sprigs.
    5. Lightly brush with olive oil.
    6. Drink a beer.
    7. Grill the scallops about 2-3 minutes per side or until opaque.

Don't worry if the rosemary flames up, this can be a good thing. If your rosemary didn't burn up, then serve with the rosemary sprigs still in the scallops. If they're burned up, then just pull em out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Don't worry if the rosemary flames up, this can be a good thing. If your rosemary didn't burn up, then serve with the rosemary sprigs still in the scallops. If they're burned up, then just pull em out.
    Fresh or dried sprigs?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Fresh or dried sprigs?
    Fresh. Dried will definitely flame up. While a flame up isn't the end of the world, you want the rosemary to smoke so it flavors the scallops.

Fresh rosemary is wonderful stuff!
    -use as a skewer for pork kabobs - alternate with onion and marinate in italian dressing. Grill 'em.
    -use like a toothpick to hold bacon wrapped around meat chunks, then grill.
    -chop the leaves and toss with olive oil over cut new potatoes (approx 1 1/2 inch chunks), then roast until the potatoes are browned (and slightly crispy) - yum

Quote Originally Posted by shereec View Post
    -use as a skewer for pork kabobs - alternate with onion and marinate in italian dressing. Grill 'em.
    -chop the leaves and toss with olive oil over cut new potatoes (approx 1 1/2 inch chunks), then roast until the potatoes are browned (and slightly crispy) - yum
    I'm there! Maybe next summer or if we have a mild December. Rosemary Fest 08!

Quote Originally Posted by shereec View Post
    Love it too - have a big plant growing in my front yard, so it's always on hand.

Also have a lavendar plant right next to it - standing between the two is just heavenly on the nose.

keeping this relevant, any suggestions for using lavendar in cooking endeavors?

Smile Excited about this thread!

Thanks 2535 miles for starting it! (And...shereec -- rosemary grows like a weed in my yard and hillside, so give me a heads up and I'll send it to you).

When it's not 1:30am, I want to contribute a few of my recipes that I cherish. And again, I think a DBR Cookbook would be a huge bestseller -- and not just among us folk. Cheers to all, and GO DUKE BB as always, and DUKE FB. Have we only just begun?

Val's Brisket

As posted previously, and endorsed by Weezie!

Val's Brisket:
    Have butcher cut off excess fat when you buy the meat.
    Rinse with cold water
    Take one package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix and smear it over one side of meat.
    Open another package and spread it over the other side.
    Lay in pan fat side down.
    Add water to pan until there is approx. 1/8 inch in pan
    Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
    Cook at 350 for 3 hours.
    Open carefully to avoid steam, stick fork into meat. If tender, remove from oven. If not tender, cook another 30 minutes and check again.
    When done, open up and let steam out.
    Take meat out of pan and put it in a container. We use a Tupperware type plastic container.
    Add water to pan to make gravy - all that onion soup mix, meat drippings and bits and pieces of brisket make the gravy!
    Pour a little gravy over the meat, cover it and place in the refrigerator overnight to cool. Put the rest of the gravy in a separate container and put that in the refrigerator too.
    Slice the meat when cool. I use an electric slicer. Slices should be ~3/16" thick (no more than 1/4 "). You must slice the meat across the grain. If you slice it with the grain it will be tough and stringy - you won't like it and all your effort is wasted.
    After slicing, put the meat back in a pan, pour the rest of the gravy over it, and heat in oven at 350 until hot.
    Serve and enjoy!
    We like white rice with the brisket. Be sure to pour the onion soup gravy over the rice too!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Chipotle Pork Loin with Peach Salsa

On the grill as I post.

The stuff
    Pork
    • 5 lb. pork loin
    • 1 part chipotle pepper
    • 1 part brown sugar
    • 1/2 part garlic salt

Salsa
    • 1 large white peach, chopped
    • 1 good ol normal peach, chopped
    • 2 roma tomatoes, chopped (Sorry Bostondevil had to post it, forgive me? )
    • 1 small red onion, chopped
    • 1 jalapeno, minced
    • 1 bunch cilantro, coarse chopped
    • 2 limes, juiced

The cooking
    1. To prepare the salsa, combine all the ingredients, stir it up and set aside.
    2. To prepare the pork loin, combine all the ingredients and coat the pork loin.
    3. Have a beer.
    4. Fire up the grill. I like to lightly smoke the pork, but this is optional.
    5. Grill indirectly, about 20 minutes per pound.
    6. Have many beers.
    7. Pork is ready to come off the grill when it reaches about 160 degrees. Set it aside for 5 minutes.
    8. Slice to your preference.
    9. Top with salsa.
    10. Enjoy.