Credit Dukepsy1963 for pursuing this recipe originally with the folks at Duke Archives. I've copied Dukepsy1963's post in its entirety here:
Here it is:
1 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 white sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup chopped nuts
2 packages semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1. Let butter stand at room temp until softened. Combine butter with sugars in a round bottomed bowl and work with a wooden spoon until creamy. Add the eggs (well-beaten) to the sugar and butter.
2. Sift flour with salt.
3. Dissolve baking soda in hot water and add alternately with flour to the sugar and butter mixture.
4. Add nuts, chocolate morsels, and vanilla and mix until evenly distributed
5. Drop on greased cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls for a 3" cookie. Yields 6 dozen cookies.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until done.
Enjoy them during the games! Let me know how they worked out for you!
BTW. They also sent another official recipe that I will be sharing with you shortly. ... the Hermit cookie one.