Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face Help me gurus! I have a problem with Windows XP Service Pack 3...

Hi-

I have Windows XP Pro on both my computers. I also have a wireless network at home through Verizon Fios. I have two computers and two gaming consoles wireless communicating with my gateway, and one laptop wired to it (my wife's gov't issued work computer). My desktop downstairs automatically updated to SP3 a few days ago, and ever since then, I can't get on the net with that computer. It won't automatically connect anymore, so I click on the icon in my launch tray and it brings up the local wireless networks. I click on mine, which it shows, and then type in my wepkey. It brings up the little window that shows a desktop tower and the gateway with the little light pulse passing between them and says waiting for network at the bottom. That lasts about a minute, then the window closes without connecting me to the internet. All the other computers and game consoles have no problem at all. The problem is that all my printers are connected to the desktop, so I can't print from any of my other computers now. Plus, I can't upload pictures to the net (that's my newest and fastest computer with the best photo programs, so it has all my photos of my kids on it). Anyway, I have the latest Norton Internet Security/AntiVirus, and 128 bit encryption wepkey, and a MacID filter for security. None of the other computers or gaming consoles are having any trouble. Now, Microsoft wants me to install SP3 on my other laptop, but I'm sure as heck not doing that until the problem is resolved and I know how to fix it!

Any ideas? Thanks.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    The SP3 will not completely install on my machine even though I have tried all the installation options recommended by Microsoft. Appears I may have been lucky.

You could just upgrade to Vista. I hear it's a kick pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! operating system.

You may want to try to find the latest drivers for your network card. It's possible there was a change in SP3 that caused problems for them - and the latest drivers may have fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Hi-

I have Windows XP Pro on both my computers. I also have a wireless network at home through Verizon Fios. I have two computers and two gaming consoles wireless communicating with my gateway, and one laptop wired to it (my wife's gov't issued work computer). My desktop downstairs automatically updated to SP3 a few days ago, and ever since then, I can't get on the net with that computer. It won't automatically connect anymore, so I click on the icon in my launch tray and it brings up the local wireless networks. I click on mine, which it shows, and then type in my wepkey. It brings up the little window that shows a desktop tower and the gateway with the little light pulse passing between them and says waiting for network at the bottom. That lasts about a minute, then the window closes without connecting me to the internet. All the other computers and game consoles have no problem at all. The problem is that all my printers are connected to the desktop, so I can't print from any of my other computers now. Plus, I can't upload pictures to the net (that's my newest and fastest computer with the best photo programs, so it has all my photos of my kids on it). Anyway, I have the latest Norton Internet Security/AntiVirus, and 128 bit encryption wepkey, and a MacID filter for security. None of the other computers or gaming consoles are having any trouble. Now, Microsoft wants me to install SP3 on my other laptop, but I'm sure as heck not doing that until the problem is resolved and I know how to fix it!

Any ideas? Thanks.
    First, make sure you have all the updates. Go to the Microsoft web site and click around for XP updates.

Next, I would eliminate the wireless modem to see if that's the problem. Can you browse the web using a wired connection from your computer?

I'm running SP3 with wireless without any problems.

I have automatic update, and according to it, I have them all. But since I can't connect, I can't really check now. I'll see if I can get a long enough cable to see if I can connect with it.

I have automatic update, and according to it, I have them all. But since I can't connect, I can't really check now. I'll see if I can get a long enough cable to see if I can connect with it.
    Forget automatic update for debugging purposes. Go to the web site and clicking the buttons that lead to the updates.

If you can't find a long enough cable, you'll have to move the machine.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Think about a system restore back to before you installed SP3.

Try turning off your firewall and see if you can connect. You might have to unload Norton to do this. If you can, try to connect through ethernet. If you can not it's probably a software issue and most likely the firewall. When I installed XP3 a few months ago there was a conflict between Windows and ZoneAlarm. ZoneAlarm updated their software a few days later.

Yeah, I've turned off all my firewalls, both for Norton and for Microsoft. I checked to make sure they were still off, since they were interfering with my connection even before SP3. I have a friend in IT who told me that between 128-bit encryption wepkey, a Mac ID filter and Norton AntiVirus, I should be fine. But, yeah, the first thing I thought of was that SP3 had turned my firewall back on.

First thing I'd do is try a wired connection just make sure the wireless is the problem.

If the wired connection worked, I'd disable the card, uninstall the drivers, restart twice (there are some things that happen on the first restart after uninstalling some stuff, the second restart should be clean), and reinstall the drivers.

Are you using the windows wireless handler, or the wireless card's software?

-jk

windows. It seems so much simpler.

I just connected it to the gateway using a REALLY long cable. It's working fine now, so it's something with the wireless connection. I hope I can fix the wireless problem though, cause it's REALLY inconvenient having this LONG cable running through the middle of my house, especially with kids constantly pulling on it or me tripping over it.

I just connected it to the gateway using a REALLY long cable. It's working fine now, so it's something with the wireless connection. I hope I can fix the wireless problem though, cause it's REALLY inconvenient having this LONG cable running through the middle of my house, especially with kids constantly pulling on it or me tripping over it.
    I think someone asked earlier if you were using the built in Windows wireless configuration manager or the one supplied with the card. This is probably a good avenue to test. If you go to your network connections tool in the control panel. then right click the Wireless Connection and select properties. Then on the properties box, look at the Wireless Networks tab. See if you are using Windows to configure the wireless. If not, turn it on. And then find the wireless controller that came with your card (it might be running in the system tray) and turn it off. See if Windows itself is more successful.

On the contrary, if you are currently using Windows to configure the card, try switching it around the other way.

i apologize in advance...but i couldn't ignore the title of the thread any longer..

here goes..

www.apple.com

it will solve all your problems..

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I think someone asked earlier if you were using the built in Windows wireless configuration manager or the one supplied with the card.
    If you look at the post right after the person asked that, you'll see I answered the question.

And you, MoonPie, are not helping! You don't have to lecture me. I'm a Mac person, but the wife is firmly in the IBM camp. It's not worth the happiness of my marriage to continue pressing that issue. I've learned better after 10 years.
    Last edited by bjornolf; 09-20-2008 at 11:00 AM. Reason: addition...

Have you uninstalled the wireless driver, rebooted twice, and reinstalled it?

-jk

I can't seem to find the driver for it anywhere. When I click on the device and say update drivers, it says it has the most current drivers, but if I try to find the driver on add/remove, it doesn't show up.

Okay, that's very confusing. I've just enabled and disabled it a bunch of times, and suddenly, it seems to be working now. I tried it once or twice before, but it didn't seem to help, but I just did it like 8 times in a row trying different things, and suddenly, it's working. Somewhere around time 5, I connected to an unsecure network of my neighbor's. As soon as I did that, it also connected to MY network. I disabled the device and enabled it, and it again wouldn't connect to mine till I connected to the neighbors. I disabled it again, and when I re-enabled, it connected to my network like there was no problem. I've restarted and disabled and enabled it three times now, and it's re-connected like a champ everytime. What the heck? Oh, well, hopefully it'll keep working. Can anyone explain to me why the heck that would fix it thought?
    Last edited by bjornolf; 09-20-2008 at 12:14 PM.

Can anyone explain to me why the heck that would fix it thought?
    Gremlins, Goblins and things that go bump in the night.

Can't help here, but maybe I can get help. To sum it up, I have a new Vista pc and an old (not very) XP pc networked using a LinkSys wireless router, but not SP3. The Vista pc replaced an older pc using an older wireless router to connect to the web and each other. That configuration had worked without a problem for several years. Data, web access, and printers have been shared without a problem.

Now, all that can be shared is the web access. The two computers now in use don't know each other. It is not an option to return to the older computer for too many reasons. When I installed the Vista pc, that was simple. It was impressive. I started out connecting it directly to the TW broad band modem, and was happy. That's when the trouble started. I also had a new router from LinkSys, and I installed it on the Vista pc using LinkSys software. It's funny how the XP pc immediately picked up the web, but the Vista pc got nothing. I retried, and I retried, and I retried, but you get the picture. The phone calls started, and nobody consented to help. The people in India were the most polite, but no help, either. I went a different route with LinkSys tech support. I called corporate and asked the operator top connect me to technical support. I got a stateside lady that predicted everything I was telling her, and she stepped me through the setup using Windows. I found the web, so both computers can connect now, but the computers cannot detect one another. My son-in-law, a techy who works for Microsoft couldn't help. He did give me some places to check out, but to no avail. File sharing is turned on in every folder on both computers, and the work group is the same for both. I am stuck. Apparently this is above my pay grade. Woe is me.