Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Duke 31, Virginia 3

Duke is facing another hurdle in Virginia. Quite simply, it could serve as the first ACC win in some time. Bob Green takes a look ahead -

http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1035

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    You gotta like Duke in this one. UVA has nothing going for them. Its just been one thing after another for them since the end of last year. They set a record for winning games decided by a touchdown or less last year. I think they lose all of their close ones this year. That is if UVA can keep any close. They are a young team that has got to be questioning themselves right now. If I'm Coach Cut I go for the jugular early. Coach Cut versus Al Groh, the Chess Master, not even fair.

Everyone in the ACC should be favored against this UVA team. They were a bit of bad luck away from a 4-8 record last season with all of their talent and really are going to show that they got that lucky. They lost by far their best players and really haven't gotten any sort of rhythm going in their 3 games they've played thus far.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    UVA has nothing going for them.
    I think they do, in that they, like Duke, have two weeks to rest and prepare. Cutcliffe has said this week Duke is working on Duke (correcting some of our mistakes) and next week we are working on Virginia. I'm assuming Va. will pretty much be doing the same, working on their own problems, then focusing on us. I'm not taking them as a guaranteed win as some feel, but I am more optimistic about our chances.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I think they do, in that they, like Duke, have two weeks to rest and prepare. Cutcliffe has said this week Duke is working on Duke (correcting some of our mistakes) and next week we are working on Virginia. I'm assuming Va. will pretty much be doing the same, working on their own problems, then focusing on us. I'm not taking them as a guaranteed win as some feel, but I am more optimistic about our chances.
    Duke cannot take anyone for granted. Heck, nobody should take a team for granted. I am sure Groah will work had to iron his problems out. I feel good about Duke's chanced to provided they don't turn the ball over. The schedule gets brutal after this game.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Duke cannot take anyone for granted. Heck, nobody should take a team for granted. I am sure Groh will work hard to iron his problems out. I feel good about Duke's chances, provided they don't turn the ball over. The schedule gets brutal after this game.
    Those turnovers are what I'm assuming they are working on this week. I'm sure you know what's going on with the team as well as anyone. And you are correct about the schedule. A victory against UVA will be nice to have heading into what is upcoming after.

Duke favored?

We haven't won an ACC game in 4 years, and we should be favored against UVA? We should be expected to win? Look. I am excited about Cut and the fact that he has us 2-1, and competitive every week. But let's win an ACC game against anyone before we start talking about how Duke should be favored against a legitmate ACC team. Clarkston Hines is not walking through that door.

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingThomasHill View Post
    We haven't won an ACC game in 4 years, and we should be favored against UVA? We should be expected to win? Look. I am excited about Cut and the fact that he has us 2-1, and competitive every week. But let's win an ACC game against anyone before we start talking about how Duke should be favored against a legitmate ACC team.
    When the odds are released next week, I will be shocked if Duke isn't favored. Of course time will tell and just because we are favored doesn't mean we will win. Virginia is an important game. I wouldn't classify the game as a "must win situation" but we need to win.

Clarkston Hines is not walking through that door.
    No he isn't, but Eron Riley is.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 09-18-2008 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Duke cannot take anyone for granted. Heck, nobody should take a team for granted.
    I totally agree... while UVA looks like a winnable game, they still need to play the game... and execute... in order to actually win. NO guarantees in sports. I'm cautiously optimistic, and very hopeful. Can't wait. GO DUKE!!!!

Duke should be hungry to beat anyone they can, I cannot see them looking past UVa. You have a lot of upperclassmen on this squad that have never tasted victory over a league opponent and now may be their best opportunity (who knows how State will be in November).

As far as Duke being favored, well we've played good enough to be 3-0, we couldn't quite finish against NW, so we're 2-1. Even with the mistakes, this team is still hitting a lot of high points. The best UVa has to show for itself is a 16-9 victory over Richmond. Granted, Duke and every other ACC team would get stomped by USC, I'm not sure UConn is as good as they were last year, but they sure looked it against the Hoos. I would like to see Duke play very aggressive, but smart, I see a 9-14 point victory.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    There are some key differences between the two programs. UVA got lucky last year. Most of their wins last year were close games. They lost alot off their lines on both sides of the ball. This is never good. Especially when you really weren't that good. They also lost their starting quarterback and a bunch of other starters to off-season problems.

Duke returns around 17 players from last year. They weren't that bad last year. I think their biggest problem was thinking they could win. Finding that confidence when the game was on the line. I think Roof was in a little over his head. Coach Cut is not. From day one he has let the players know what they need to do to win. Winning was not option, it was a plan.

I'd personally call it a decent sized upset if this UVA team beats this Duke team at Duke.

I really don't think this Duke team sees itself associated with last year's Duke team. If Duke had some more talent spread across the field and didn't lose two of their running backs, I could have seen them suprising everyone and winning the Coastal.

Duke is a 5.5 point favorite over Virginia.
    Bob Green

Another Football week! One week at a time. Go Duke, Beat the Wahvaliers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Wow...for the last 15 years or so you would have thought that would be referring to a game in February, not September. I can't wait for Saturday - for Duke to beat Virginia, for UNC to get a beat-down from Miami, and for (admitting that this is a biiiiig reach) State to shock USF... Wonder what the Vegas odds are on that trifecta?

What a wonderful way to start the week!

This is bound to be a record for recent seasons: Duke picked to win each game so far.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the coaches come up with for this week's game.

Can't wait for Saturday!

odds

Here's hoping we cover the spread...and then some...

Does anyone know the last time Duke was the LV favorite in an ACC game? It couldn't have been since we beat UNC in '03, and we were probably even the underdog for that game too.

We haven't won an ACC game in 4 years, and we should be favored against UVA? We should be expected to win? Look. I am excited about Cut and the fact that he has us 2-1, and competitive every week. But let's win an ACC game against anyone before we start talking about how Duke should be favored against a legitmate ACC team. Clarkston Hines is not walking through that door.
    There's no doubt in my mind that Duke should win this game. Will they? It just depends if they are able to execute. But overall I agree with you. I think many Duke fans are getting far too ahead of themselves. I stopped by Devil's Den and many of them over there think they should be competing for Coastal Division titles this year. In all honestly, the one "sane" poster over there... got banned. lol

"This is bound to be a record for recent seasons: Duke picked to win each game so far."

Duke was not favored to win the Northwestern game.

Duke should win this game unless we make the mistakes we made against Northwestern.