Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Don't Let Them Win the Championship!!!

Here's another offseason game to play. Rank the teams you least want to win the national championship these days.

Here is my list:
    1) UNC- No need for explanation
    2) UCONNvicts- Calhoun with three... no thanks
    3) Florida- Donovan with three ... are you freaking kidding me
    4) UCLA- I rather enjoy the fact that UCLA can't win the big one ... for now
    5) Georgetown- Something rubs me the wrong way about JTIII

Looks like a good list... but maybe Kentucky and Georgetown can switch places?

Very good list.
    I would agree Kentucky should be there. I dislike the Kentucky fanbase.And in the same category for a dispised fanbase Maryland gets a place in the least desirable teams to win the National championship.

ummm...you've got #1 right...

changes

Umm I'd rather have Memphis and Maryland up at 4 and 5.

I could'nt stand to see Calipari or Gary Williams win a title, just a sight I am not willing to watch

UNC and UConn are the only two on the list that are truly unacceptable. I have nothing against UCLA or Georgetown. UF, I'd prefer they not win another NCAA BB championship for the same reason I'd prefer the Marlins not to win another World Series, its just not right. At least UF has been around longer than 10 years.

UCLA over the rest of these teams anyday.

1. UNC
    2. The University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
    3. Tarheels
    4. Any team whose colors are baby blue
    5a UConn
    5.b The Heels

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    1. UNC
    2. The University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
    3. Tarheels
    4. Any team whose colors are baby blue
    5a UConn
    5.b The Heels
    lol - love that...

Mine:
    1: UNC
    2: UConn - Calhoun with 3 just degrades everything about NCAA hoops
    3: Memphis - Calipari with 1 degrades everything about NCAA hoops
    4: Florida - Just don't want to see Donovan in the 3 title club
    5: This spot reserved for Maryland in case they ever get good again.

Ughh

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Here's another offseason game to play. Rank the teams you least want to win the national championship these days.

Here is my list:
    1) UNC- No need for explanation
    2) UCONNvicts- Calhoun with three... no thanks
    3) Florida- Donovan with three ... are you freaking kidding me
    4) UCLA- I rather enjoy the fact that UCLA can't win the big one ... for now
    5) Georgetown- Something rubs me the wrong way about JTIII
    1. UNC as always.- Regardless of what Duke does or doesn't do as long as UNC doesn't win a national title the season has been acceptable. That being said this team will be the clear cut favorite to win it all and will field their most intimidating lineup on paper in a loooong time.

2. Georgertown-I don't know about the rest of you, but after hearing Duke was leading for Monroe and then him not even taking an official visit to Duke still rubs me raw. I'm not saying I want the guy injured, but I want him to fail and fail badly. Throw in the fact the Baltimore / DC area is a basketball hotbed Maryland isn't allowed to recruit from (thank you Bob Wade) and I don't want the Hoyas coming back into power again.

3. Florida-Okay so Duke is no longer the last team to repeat as champions. The threepeat was foiled, but I don't want to hear any yada, yada, yada about 3 in 4 either.

4. UCONN-No school outside the ACC has been more a thorn in Dukes side the last ten years. And while they don't tend to rectuit the same players due to Duke actually having classes to attend and not being able to major in basket weaving. I'd like to see them absent from the NCAA a few more seasons. NIT, NIT, NIT!

5. West Virginia-Although the least likely of the top five I have always loathed Huggins and the ways his teams have played. I have nothing against the state or school, but I view Huggins as this decades Jerry Tarkanian.

Honorable (or dishonorable) Mention:
    Maryland-Sure it isn't likely to happen but no school has done more to fan the anti-Duke flames outside of UNC.
    Kentucky-See Patrick Patterson
    Elon University-The students think they own the entire county nine months out of the year. If they won an NCAA title we'd never get any relief from those yankees!

Was it Bob Wade that blew Maryland's status in the DC/Balt area? I thought Wade was brought in from Dunbar to try to repair that status, and that the initial problem was that the Baltimore community felt unhappy because of Lefty's use of Earnest Graham back around 1980-81. Please inform...

Mostly anti-fan

1. Holes
    2. UCONN - Calhoun is a turd
    3. Maryland - hate the fans. Not much of a threat on this one.
    4. Kansas - yes, Kansas. I lived out by K.C. for a few years and there is a lot of Duke-hate/Coach K hate for no real reason. They constantly harp about their program being on par with Duke, like its the most important thing on Earth. Always saying Duke is overrated - always. Jayhawk fans just can't shut up with the dissing Duke. Their sports radio personnas squeal with glee whenever Duke - for days and days. Obviously, they haven't shut up about the national championship - I guess one every 20 years means greatness.
    5. Florida - had enough of them for a while. They still have that Joakim Noah stink on them.

Wish not to be ncaa champs

1. unc...hate is a harsh word, but
    2. Twerps..just plain stupid fans
    3. Uconn...Calhoun, ugh
    4. Arizonia ...Lute, ugh ugh
    5. Kentucky...goes back to "Goose Givens"

Elon University-The students think they own the entire county nine months out of the year. If they won an NCAA title we'd never get any relief from those yankees! [/QUOTE]

hahahaha...Don't they??

Quote Originally Posted by DukeWarhead View Post
    4. Kansas - yes, Kansas. I lived out by K.C. for a few years and there is a lot of Duke-hate/Coach K hate for no real reason. They constantly harp about their program being on par with Duke, like its the most important thing on Earth. Always saying Duke is overrated - always. Jayhawk fans just can't shut up with the dissing Duke. Their sports radio personnas squeal with glee whenever Duke - for days and days. Obviously, they haven't shut up about the national championship - I guess one every 20 years means greatness.
    well, they do kind of have a reason...they have been permanently scarred by the car wreck that is roy williams.

Davekay1971,

As I’m sure you know, Ernie Graham was a good player on some of Lefty’s better teams. He came in with Albert King and Greg Manning and they were joined by Buck Williams. Ernie was probably the best offensive player on the team but defense and team play were not his strengths. I heard some rumors that he was not happy with Lefty because he wasn’t the featured player but I don’t believe that he was the cause of the fissure between the Terps and Baltimore area coaches/players.

Bob Wade was a high school coach in Baltimore who, IMO, was in over his head as a college coach. After the Bias situation, the school president (John Slaughter?) decided that he would hire Lefty’s replacement. Since he knew very little about college basketball, he decided to consult a good friend, Georgetown coach, John Thompson, who recommended Wade. Wade had coached Wingate, Williams and perhaps others who played for Georgetown, and was a good friend of Thompson. A bunch of the alums were very unhappy with this deal and when Wade got in trouble with the NCAA, he was gone. Apparently, the folks in Baltimore felt that Wade was railroaded and there have been hard feelings with Baltimore high school and AAU coaches for many years. Much of this has been directed at Wade’s replacement, Gary Williams, and Williams has had mixed success in recruiting kids from Baltimore.

As an aside, an old friend of mine who has season tickets to the Terps’ games, said that that he has seen Ernie Graham at games the past couple of years.

With regard to the topic, I say anybody but UConn, Arizona and Memphis.

gw67

As long as kuralonna and uCONn don't win, I don't really give a [poop]. I suppose I'd prefer for Maryland not to win, and I've got no love for Flarduh, but they already did the back-to-back thing, so I don't feel much in the way of emotional involvement there. Kentucky, Georgetown, UCLA, etc. don't inspire any reaction at all for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    Davekay1971,

As I’m sure you know, Ernie Graham was a good player on some of Lefty’s better teams. He came in with Albert King and Greg Manning and they were joined by Buck Williams. Ernie was probably the best offensive player on the team but defense and team play were not his strengths. I heard some rumors that he was not happy with Lefty because he wasn’t the featured player but I don’t believe that he was the cause of the fissure between the Terps and Baltimore area coaches/players.

Bob Wade was a high school coach in Baltimore who, IMO, was in over his head as a college coach. After the Bias situation, the school president (John Slaughter?) decided that he would hire Lefty’s replacement. Since he knew very little about college basketball, he decided to consult a good friend, Georgetown coach, John Thompson, who recommended Wade. Wade had coached Wingate, Williams and perhaps others who played for Georgetown, and was a good friend of Thompson. A bunch of the alums were very unhappy with this deal and when Wade got in trouble with the NCAA, he was gone. Apparently, the folks in Baltimore felt that Wade was railroaded and there have been hard feelings with Baltimore high school and AAU coaches for many years. Much of this has been directed at Wade’s replacement, Gary Williams, and Williams has had mixed success in recruiting kids from Baltimore.

As an aside, an old friend of mine who has season tickets to the Terps’ games, said that that he has seen Ernie Graham at games the past couple of years.

With regard to the topic, I say anybody but UConn, Arizona and Memphis.

gw67
    Thanks for the info...that definitely clears it up for me. I grew up in the DC area (Maryland side) and was young when Albert King, Manning, Buck Williams, and Graham were playing for the Terps. Good memories from those teams; I was a fan and supporter of the Terps even through my years at Duke. Gary Williams and the Twerp fans sure are skilled at turning people against their team...

1. Unc
    2. Abd
    3. Abd
    4. Abd
    5. Abd

Quote Originally Posted by balkan boy View Post
    1. Unc
    2. Abd
    3. Abd
    4. Abd
    5. Abd
    Most other message boards would have the inverse of this ranking.