Thread: Hot peppers

Hot peppers

Just for fun I grew a bunch of pepper plants on my deck over the summer. Now I have about 150 Thai peppers (2 plants), about 100 red cayenne (2 plants), about 25 Pasilla peppers (2 plants), about 75 Jalapeno peppers (4 plants) and a huge amount of red hot cherry peppers (2 plants).

What should I do with all these hot peppers?
    How do you make hot pepper (jalapeno?) poppers?
    ~rthomas

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'd can 'em. That's an excellent yield, I do lousy with peppers, only get a few for tasting and that's usually it. My tomatoes were good to me, but the pepper plants don't like me.

Fire up your grill. Get some boneless, skinless chicken breast, some bacon, and some cheddar cheese. Cut the cheese and chicken into chunks and separate each strip of bacon into 2-3 pieces. Skewer jalapeno, chicken chunk, and cheese chunk, with bacon wrapped around, and then grill the little chunks of goodness (the heavier smoke, the better...this brings flavors together wonderfully and moderates the peppers' heat).
    Sit back and let the compliments roll in.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Fire up your grill. Get some boneless, skinless chicken breast, some bacon, and some cheddar cheese. Cut the cheese and chicken into chunks and separate each strip of bacon into 2-3 pieces. Skewer jalapeno, chicken chunk, and cheese chunk, with bacon wrapped around, and then grill the little chunks of goodness (the heavier smoke, the better...this brings flavors together wonderfully and moderates the peppers' heat).
    Sit back and let the compliments roll in.
    DAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYM!!!!!

That sounds awesome.

-EJ

I'd follow wilson and CBB's advice. Then take the leftover peppers and dry them. Take some of the dry peppers and make your own chili powder blends. Then make chili. Then freeze the chili. Then mail me the chili.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I'd follow wilson and CBB's advice. Then take the leftover peppers and dry them. Take some of the dry peppers and make your own chili powder blends. Then make chili. Then freeze the chili. Then mail me the chili.
    This does sound great. I was thinking about drying a bunch of them. Or freezing them? Does freezing work with peppers??

I found an Emeril recipe for jalapeno poppers. What do you think?

12 fresh jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise, stems, seeds and membranes removed
    6 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or less, to taste
    2 large eggs
    2 tablespoons milk
    8 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
    1 cup panko crumbs, or fine dry breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
    In a bowl, cream together the cream cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, cumin, and cayenne.

In a small bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, and 2 teaspoons of the Essence. In a shallow dish, combine the panko crumbs and remaining 4 teaspoons of Essence. In a third dish, combine the flour and remaining 2 teaspoons of Essence. Spread 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture into the middle of each jalapeno half. One at a time, dredge in the flour, dip into the egg mixture, then dredge in the panko crumbs, pressing to coat. If necessary, repeat the process. Place the coated peppers, cut side up, on the prepared baking sheet and bake until the filling is runny and the crust is golden, about 30 minutes.

Remove from the oven and serve immediately with cold beer.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    This does sound great. I was thinking about drying a bunch of them. Or freezing them? Does freezing work with peppers??
    I think it would depend on your intended use for the thawed peppers. My gut tells me that freezing them raw isn't going to make you a happy camper. I want to say that the peppers will crack, expand, maybe even explode a little. It's also difficult to imagine how you could properly prepare the peppers for freezing unless you freeze them in a vacuum sealed container. The catch here is that vacuum bags might crush the peppers, releasing yummy juices, as they're vacuumed. Though you could also use a vacuum canister; they don't cave in and they remove the air. All good things.

I'd recommend drying. There are just so many different things you can do with dried peppers and they'll last darn near forever. If you do freeze the peppers, you might wanna prepare them first. Maybe roast them, stuff them?

I found an Emeril recipe for jalapeno poppers. What do you think?
    Lose the essence. Send me a sample.

I grow jalapenos as well. sometimes, like this sunday for the ravens game, i cut them in half take out some seeds and the membrane, i fill them with cream cheese and a hot sausage mix then wrap in bacon put them in the oven until the bacon is done

i also can them i will post my recipe later

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonelson View Post
    I grow jalapenos as well. sometimes, like this sunday for the ravens game, i cut them in half take out some seeds and the membrane, i fill them with cream cheese and a hot sausage mix then wrap in bacon put them in the oven until the bacon is done

i also can them i will post my recipe later
    Sausage and Bacon!

I was thinking about making a few for my friends with the addition of tiny cut up Thai peppers mixed into the cream cheese stuffing mixture!
    ~rthomas

hot spicy vinegar

If your cayennes aren't dry yet, pickle them. Pour boiling hot vinegar over them (in a jar, of course), and use the vinegar for sprinkling over black-eyed peas, pintos, greens, etc. If they're small enough, you may use one of the Costco-sized Tabasco shaker bottles. Pull out the stopper, shove it full of peppers, pour in hot vinegar, replace the stopper, and make Christmas gifts for friends and family.

As for the jalapenos, make homemade salsa!

Sausage and Bacon!

I was thinking about making a few for my friends with the addition of tiny cut up Thai peppers mixed into the cream cheese stuffing mixture!
    You mix the sausage with the cream cheese and wrap in bacon, watch how many seeds are in each one, trust me they are always a hit at ravens tailgatting

Jelly and Jam

I love hot pepper jelly particularly with cream cheese. Search for jalapeno jelly recipe or similar on the web. There are many recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieMc View Post
    I love hot pepper jelly particularly with cream cheese. Search for jalapeno jelly recipe or similar on the web. There are many recipes.
    We like to make pepper jelly with red and green bell peppers and then add crushed cayenne to make it hot. The sweet and hot beat duck sauce for eggrolls any day. It's also great with pork and chicken and Thanksgiving turkey.

Now I'm getting hungry.

Or you could just send some to me.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    If your cayennes aren't dry yet, pickle them. Pour boiling hot vinegar over them (in a jar, of course), and use the vinegar for sprinkling over black-eyed peas, pintos, greens, etc. If they're small enough, you may use one of the Costco-sized Tabasco shaker bottles. Pull out the stopper, shove it full of peppers, pour in hot vinegar, replace the stopper, and make Christmas gifts for friends and family.

As for the jalapenos, make homemade salsa!

Excellent advice, I do this whenever there is a pepper surplus.