Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK...new big screen LCD - but a small problem

i just got a new big screen LCD and it has 3, count em....THREE pixels stuck on green....two vertical and then one beside the top vertical ...

the mfg'rs policy is there has to be a total of 12 stuck before i can return it...
    I checked online and it looks like a couple of different ways to try to fix them.

anyone have any experience with this??

other than that...blu ray looks freaking AWESOME in 1080p...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i just got a new big screen LCD and it has 3, count em....THREE pixels stuck on green....two vertical and then one beside the top vertical ...

the mfg'rs policy is there has to be a total of 12 stuck before i can return it...
    I checked online and it looks like a couple of different ways to try to fix them.

Can you return it to the retailer and exchange it? Or return it and but another of the same model?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I wish I had a good suggestion for you, I just came in to chime that the dead pixel policy with those screens is frustrating.I think ONE dead pixel should be enough to warrant a return, because once you notice it, it's all you notice. I hope they let you bring it back. If not, unscrew the back of it and cut something on the board so it won't display at all. That's a better reason for them to take it back.

not enough information. where did you buy it from? How long is "just bought"?

Store warrenty?

Is this an LCD monitor or TV? If it has a DVI input, you could try following these steps.

wikihow instructions
    jscreenfix
    dead pixel buddy

When I bought the monitor I'm using right now (24 inch panel), I had Best Buy's Geek Squad hook it up before I ever left the store, as that way, if it had dead pixels, I could just grab another right there.

This is also why I will buy just about anything BUT monitors from Newegg.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If not, unscrew the back of it and cut something on the board so it won't display at all.
    Hmm, where I'm from this is known as fraud...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    What do they call refusing to accept the return of a faulty product, where you're from?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    shhhhhhhhhh
    Although, IMO selling a tv for over $500 that is not 100% functional is also fraud.

Although, IMO selling a tv for over $500 that is not 100% functional is also fraud.
    Agree with you 100% there...

shhhhhhhhhh
    Why the $500 threshold?

Maybe that's where he considers the category of "butt-load of money for a TV" to begin?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Why the $500 threshold?
    Because I'm assuming his "big screen LCD" was at least that. I've not seen any LCD TV's over 32" for under $500.

still an unanswered question

We still haven't heard the answer to two key questions:

"new TV" means from where? and when?

Best Buy has been brought up, but Best Buy takes ANY TV back for ANY REASON within 30 days. Their biggest return week isn't after Christmas, it's after the SuperBowl - because they will take the TV's back.

Not that 6 months old shouldn't still work as new -- it should -- but then you're dealing with a different definition of new.

If there's an issue of "number of pixels dropped" then call in and report that there are other issues with the screen, and tell them it's intermittent. The world of refurbished models is full of products that were returned and no defect was found because the problem was intermittent.

The TV should work if it's under warranty. If it's not under warranty, you're out of luck (recent experience with the in-laws confirms this). If it is, do whatever is necessary to make sure it's covered, get it in the queue, and get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    What do they call refusing to accept the return of a faulty product, where you're from?
    It's not a faulty product. When you buy an LCD you are agreeing to the manufacturer's policy of allowing X number of dead pixels. It's a bad policy, but it's fairly rare that these will remain dead. It's a fraud when you intentionally destroy a product that is probably not faulty (again, with some tweaks it will come back alive) just because you didn't research this before making a large purchase.

wow...sorry...i've been working..

i purchased this TV online from BUY.COM....it specifically states that this is an item that MUST be returned to the MFGr if there is a problem.

the MFGR warranty specifically states that it must have 12 for it to be "defective"

it's a huge set,(263 LBS) and i dread boxing it back up to ship back (it's less than a week old)

i was hoping that someone had some success with the jscreenfix....it didn't work last night when i tried it...

Your best bet may be just to take it to a TV repair service. I ordered one off Auctiondrop.com... I had it stop working completely - it was only 80 bucks to fix. It will probably cost you that much to ship it to the repair center and back.

Also, I just googled Buy.com sucks and a whole lot more stuff than what would make me comfortable came up.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    Your best bet may be just to take it to a TV repair service. I ordered one off Auctiondrop.com... I had it stop working completely - it was only 80 bucks to fix. It will probably cost you that much to ship it to the repair center and back.

Also, I just googled Buy.com sucks and a whole lot more stuff than what would make me comfortable came up.

I have been ok with buy.com, I have ordered a couple older processors from them.

wow...sorry...i've been working..

i purchased this TV online from BUY.COM....it specifically states that this is an item that MUST be returned to the MFGr if there is a problem.

the MFGR warranty specifically states that it must have 12 for it to be "defective"

it's a huge set,(263 LBS) and i dread boxing it back up to ship back (it's less than a week old)

i was hoping that someone had some success with the jscreenfix....it didn't work last night when i tried it...
    Sorry, didn't mean to lash out at you, it was more of a response to the cutting something in the back comment. As for buy.com, ditto what ForeverBlowingBubbles said; I almost exclusively use Amazon for these types of purchases. Your best bet is to try these methods. I've purchased about 10 LCD monitors (5 monitors, 1 tv, 3 laptops... I guess that's 9), every single one online. Only one of them came with dead pixels - my wife's Vaio. That's 1 pixel out of about 15 million pixels, not a bad failure rate IMO. When she ran one of these (don't recall which one exactly) tools, it reverted back and has been in working since (roughly 1.5 years).