Thread: Refs

Refs

I'm not usually one to berate refs, but after watching San Diego vs. Denver I just can't resist.

First, Ed Hochuli - This guy is a monster among NFL referees, highly respected and arguably one of the best referees in the NFL. Today was not one of his better days. A massive blown call gives the Denver Broncos a most undeserved win. Ed should've layed off the whistle, let the play evolve and then go to the booth for instant replay. Instead, he makes a terrible call from behind the quarter back that setting up the tie score for Denver. Terrible.

Talk about rubbing salt into an open wound. The refs get Champ Bailey's interception call all wrong in the first, and then instant reply, that would've overturned the bad call, doesn't work.

Two mistakes by the refs give the Broncos 14 points. Nasty. Painful. It hurts on the inside.

Kudos to the Broncos for making the gutsy 2 point conversion call.

I have never seen

I have never seen a team get so screwed over, than the Chargers did today. I am not a Chargers fan (Dallas- cant wait to get at Mcnabb (Sp?) tomorrow night) but I feel extremely sorry for them right now, they rightfully won the game and the refs took it from them, this is not a conspiracy they really did. I don't have a link because the game just ended, but trust me you will be hearing about this for the next week, all I can say is wow.

Smile Wait until basketball season

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    I have never seen a team get so screwed over, than the Chargers did today.
    I can think of at least a dozen times that Lenny and Dick have done worse to alma mater.

I can't believe the broncos went for 2...as one of the announcers implied, it's almost like they figured they were already playing with house money, might as well go for the whole thing..

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    I can't believe the broncos went for 2...as one of the announcers implied, it's almost like they figured they were already playing with house money, might as well go for the whole thing..
    Not only did they go for it, they ran the same play twice in a row!

Awful call. Tough for Norv and SD. Also tough for the guy I'm playing in FF this week. I liked getting an extra TD for Cutler. :-) I was hoping SD would make it down and kick the FG since I've also got Nate Kaeding.

I know

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I can think of at least a dozen times that Lenny and Dick have done worse to alma mater.
    I know, but no one would ever believe that it happens to the us

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Awful call. Tough for Norv and SD. Also tough for the guy I'm playing in FF this week. I liked getting an extra TD for Cutler. :-) I was hoping SD would make it down and kick the FG since I've also got Nate Kaeding.
    I have Cutler AND Royal. Talk about a gamechanger in FF...I went from down 1 to up 11 just on those 2 plays!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I'm not usually one to berate refs, but after watching San Diego vs. Denver I just can't resist.

First, Ed Hochuli - This guy is a monster among NFL referees, highly respected and arguably one of the best referees in the NFL. Today was not one of his better days. A massive blown call gives the Denver Broncos a most undeserved win. Ed should've layed off the whistle, let the play evolve and then go to the booth for instant replay. Instead, he makes a terrible call from behind the quarter back that setting up the tie score for Denver. Terrible.

Talk about rubbing salt into an open wound. The refs get Champ Bailey's interception call all wrong in the first, and then instant reply, that would've overturned the bad call, doesn't work.

Two mistakes by the refs give the Broncos 14 points. Nasty. Painful. It hurts on the inside.

Kudos to the Broncos for making the gutsy 2 point conversion call.
    For the most part I agree with you. Especially about Ed Hochuli, he's definitely one of the best. He gets credit in my book for admitting his error to the entire audience but, that's cold comfort to Charger fan.

I think the problem was not Hochuli's quick whistle, I think it's the replay system in general. It, IMO, is causing the refs to second-guess what they see (or think they see) happen in front of them. The replay rule needs to be massaged so that refs can make the call as the play unfolds and then use the review to either confirm their call or over-turn the call. As the rule stands now, the weight of IR falls in behind the call, thereby (again MO) causing the refs to hesitate before making the call. Given whatever they call must be "over-turned" by IR and only if there is "indisputable video evidence", there just aren't enough cameras to cover every single angle on the field. Let the refs make the calls and make the IR "balanced" in its application.

I think that any play, but especially in the last two minutes when replays are called by the booth, refs should swallow their whistle in the case of a fumble play, then let the booth call the review. A blown whistle CANNOT be taken back. A fumble let go to the end CAN. That should be policy. I understand how the whistle can't be reviewed, since players are trained to stop at the whistle and often get flagged if they don't. It's too hard for a player to decide when to stop at the whistle and when not to. However, there should be no whistle on that play. Likewise, the Skins would have had another TD against the Giants if not for an early whistle last week. 16-14 in the 4th is a different animal than 16-7. Anyway, water under the bridge.

I like the college system where the booth reviews every play, then calls down the questionable ones. The coaches don't waste as many of their challenges and every play gets a review. It doesn't seem to lengthen the games much, as the review just happens between plays. That way, the refs could let fumble/incompletes play out, the booth could review it, and if it seems like a deadball instead of a fumble, the booth can call down. Just a thought.

Again?

I didn't see this game... was the call a dealbreaker?

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I didn't see this game... was the call a dealbreaker?
    Definitely not a dealbreaker. That play would have just made the Falcons lose by even more.