Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Ice: free or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    If that is the case then the people operating the concession stand were violating their instructions. My son-in-law runs one of the stands, and he told me that they were instructed to provide courtesy cups of ice and access to tap water without charge. As for bottled water, they ran out right after half time, but received an additional delivery of several cases shortly after. They returned about 20 bottles when they closed the stand.
    The bit about ice was interesting. Before the game started, I went to a concession stand and asked to BUY a cup of ice...no drink, just ice. The lady at the counter gave me a spiel about how they weren't supposed to give out cups of ice without a drink. I again repeated that I'd like to BUY the cup of ice. She finally caved, gave me a small cup with ice, and at that time another person came along requesting to buy a cup of ice for her water, again the same spiel...

What's the deal with running out of water/ice at an athletic event on a hot day? Same thing happened last spring at the spring football scrimmage...a warm day at noon, not many people there but apparently more than had shown up in previous years. We weren't allowed to bring food/drink into the stadium yet they ran out of food/ice at a time when most people are eating lunch (I'm referring to last spring). If you're going to have a "party", you buy more than you need...at least that's what I was always taught. Seems like someone in charge of provisions needs to wake up/get with the program.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by jhenrymus View Post
    I completely agree but something even more annoying is the obnoxious blaring and over use of the PA system. Hopefully enough fans will complain to limit its use during the game or at least cutting down the volume.
    I'm guessing (especially from your choice of login names and your profile) that you'd prefer that the band play more?

(Can we call you Coach?)

Quote Originally Posted by SharkD View Post
    My wife (a Duke hemotology-oncology nurse, and 5 months pregnant, to boot) hurdled 3-4 rows and was at Dr. Mabry's side, checking his pulse and respiration within about 10 seconds of his collapse. (We were in Row Y.) Once she determined that he was breathing and had a steady pulse, she stepped back, as he needed circulating air, shade and water, not twenty people huddled over him, raising the ambient temp even more.

She and I both believe that the camera platform location, which bottlenecked (north) and blocked (south) foot traffic between the stands and Finch-Yeager contributed to the delay in EMS response. They were forced to cut through the Finch-Yeager tunnel, which was full of people trying to find shade.

BTW, the home side concession shacks were out of bottled water at the beginning of halftime. Furthermore, they wouldn't even sell cups of ice without charging the $3.50 they normally charge for a soda.

Not only were we sitting near you in Sec 27, we were tailgating with friends (and friends of friends) directly adjactent to you in the B-3 lot. LOL. (And we found out, that you can, in fact, fit six adults in a fully-loaded 4Runner.)

Whodathunkit?
    To Shark D -

I should have said no Duke provided medical personnel were present in a reasonable amount of time - I recall that a female doctor was helping as well as male military medical tech assisting. It's great that both individuals could help and knew what they were doing.

The police/security personnel showed up quickly and they were upset that no medics were available.

I am also bothered by the repeated lack of water at these games - not only is it unfair to fans in the heat, its really stupid economically.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It seems to me that there are two things Duke can do to mitigate the water problem, one short-term, one long-term. The first is to relax regulations on bringing in water. I can see no logical reason why fans shouldn't be able to bring in coolers with unopened bottles of water. If music ampitheaters allow it, so can Duke.
    A data point, the Nationals new baseball stadium in Washington explicitly allows each person to bring in one unopened plastic bottle of water. They also allow single servings of food brought in, just no hard sided coolers or glass. What's the deal with many venues including at Duke acting like a bottle of water a sandwich or a baggie of goldfish crackers for your toddler is a threat to national security?

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    A data point, the Nationals new baseball stadium in Washington explicitly allows each person to bring in one unopened plastic bottle of water. They also allow single servings of food brought in, just no hard sided coolers or glass. What's the deal with many venues including at Duke acting like a bottle of water a sandwich or a baggie of goldfish crackers for your toddler is a threat to national security?
    It's not a threat to national security. It's a threat to their revenue stream.

You can still bring in a corned beef sandwich from Attman's Deli to Camden Yards. Along with a soda (as long as it is a plastic bottle).

Another reference point.

Walnut Creek Ampitheater in Raleigh

"ITEMS THAT ARE ALLOWED

Blankets
    Food in a clear plastic bag
    Lawn Chairs (Must be 9 inches or lower to the ground)
    Sealed Bottled Water
    Snacks & Baby Food
    Small cameras (always check day of show info)

ITEMS THAT ARE NOT ALLOWED
    Glass bottles/cans
    Coolers/Picnic Baskets
    Alcohol/Illegal Drugs
    Fireworks
    Video Recording Equipment
    Sharp or dangerous items
    Stickers
    Professional cameras"

You also can bring sealed bottled water to the Ampitheater at the North Carolina Museum of Art in Raleigh.

You can bring in an unopened bottle of water to Arrowhead (KC Chiefs) - can't remember if it is tied to the temperature or not. Interestingly, if you bring in the bottle, you have a cap. If you purchase a bottled water inside the stadium, they do not let you have the cap. Apparently, people will only throw bottles that they purchase in the stadium, not ones they carry in. (You can also carry in anything else you want that they don't find in the pat down entering the stadium.)

Question: Are the concessions run by the University or do they contract them out? (KU contracts the concessions to a third party.) This may be a determining factor in deciding if bottles can be carried in or not.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    You can bring in an unopened bottle of water to Arrowhead (KC Chiefs) - can't remember if it is tied to the temperature or not. Interestingly, if you bring in the bottle, you have a cap. If you purchase a bottled water inside the stadium, they do not let you have the cap. Apparently, people will only throw bottles that they purchase in the stadium, not ones they carry in. (You can also carry in anything else you want that they don't find in the pat down entering the stadium.)

Question: Are the concessions run by the University or do they contract them out? (KU contracts the concessions to a third party.) This may be a determining factor in deciding if bottles can be carried in or not.
    The Oakland A's allow soft drinks and water (presumably sealed) in plastic bottles. They allow soft-side lunch-size plastic coolers (with ice) and they allow whatever food you can bring in without making a mess. (Fruit and peanuts don't count.) They do not allow liquor, wine or beer or anything in a glass. They don't worry about their revenue stream -- they sell enough because most people won't take the trouble to pre-make food items.

Beer, nachos, hot dogs of various flavors and garlic fries seem to be the concession stands' specialties and there is a type of food court (not always open). They also have a restaurant in the West Side Club. The A's are not losing out by letting people bring in stuff to eat.