Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    jlear,

Unfortunately, there is no " right number " because the number is dependent on too many variables, temperature, humidity, age of the crowd, etc. Even if you could arrive at that number, it will not be exact, so if you have 15 crews and there are 16 medical events, someone is out of luck. In a situation like today's, I am not sure anyone could have anticipated and prepared properly.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I can agree with everyone here, on both sides. I think the university should have been better prepared, but at the same time I'm not sure anyone could have predicted how bad it would be. I think they were ready for a lot of cases, just not the numbers they saw. Even the Navy QB left the game with heat exhaustion, and as a sports team, they would have been plenty prepared themselves. Duke can't do much about what happened today because it is past, but I sure hope they learn from it. If they schedule a noon game again, they will need to double up the medical services. What they should really do though, is not schedule any noon games until October. Leave all of September for either night or late afternoon. Several people have commented on crowd size being small today, it's not hard to figure out why. Even a couple of us DBR folks who were at the game did not actually go in. They were quite satisfied to listen to the radio and the crowd from outside the stadium in the comfort of a shaded tree.

people need to take some personal responsibility here to maintain hydration and to get out of the heat if necessary.
    The concessions ran out of water in the 4th quarter. I wish I could have continued to hydrate.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post

There is something else that must come first. Improve the EMS services.

Midway through the second quarter an elderly man two rows in front of me slumped over and passed out. Fans sprung into action, getting him laid out on a bleacher, getting his clothes loosened. Getting some water and ice. A doctor seated near by came to help. People called for the EMS service. Three minutes later two police officers arrived. Another two minutes later two more police officers arrived. After NINE minutes two EMS folks arrived, but they had neither a defibrillator nor oxygen. After another three minutes two more EMS workers arrived with a defib and oxygen.

Fortunately it was a case of heat stroke.
    Allen, I wrote about this in another thread. I didn't realize you were two rows behind me. I was sitting next to Dr. Ed Mabry, the elderly fan.

Ed lost consciousness for a few seconds when he first went down, but after the fans got him water and ice (mostly dousing him to cool him off), Ed recovered fairly quickly, even though he was kept prone. When the EMT's finally did get there, they put a finger pulse monitor on him and also checked his blood sugar as he is diabetic - they asked the right medical questions for the situation. They asked him if he was able to sit up and he finally did, and then they asked if he could walk up the steps, offering him the option of waiting for a stretcher, but he declined. Ed got a nice hand from the fans as he departed.

The first 4 police that arrived on the scene were worthless as far as helping him. The 2 EMT's, even with limited equipment at their disposal, did a nice job and were professional. The young man's first name was Hari.

Doc, again if you are reading this, I hope you're feeling well tonight.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The amazing thing to me is that people do not know of the dangers of dehydration. It's so easy to prevent -- drink plenty of water, and don't wait until you are hot and thirsty to do it. The players hydrate themselves starting several days before a game. If you are planning to be sitting out in the sun at a football game in hot weather, hydrate before time, too. If you are hot, and you stop sweating, get help immediately.

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason ESPNU couldn't schedule a night game? Right now it seems like they're just showing classic games. I guess because its tougher to compete for viewers with the late night games like the USC-OSU game, but why not schedule for an 8:00 tv time?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is there any reason ESPNU couldn't schedule a night game? Right now it seems like they're just showing classic games. I guess because its tougher to compete for viewers with the late night games like the USC-OSU game, but why not schedule for an 8:00 tv time?
    A good question for Dr. White to raise.

I do not have any specific numbers, but I would guess that more than 100 people, many of them elderly, were in need of medical attention. Evaluation of an older person who passes out is not a simple task, and ideally, each incident requires an EMS crew equipped with O2, defribrillator and more. There just are not enough of those crews around. I just do not think this degree of crisis could have been properly prepared for, but hopefully, it will be better next time.

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    The same thing happened in my section, too, though this was a young lady (college age) that was having trouble with the heat. Sometime in the first half, the Durham PD came down and looked at her. A few minutes later, an EMS guy came down empty handed, and spent time looking mostly befuddled, looking up towards the concourse. They finally walked her up, with neither the DPD or EMS person helping her.

At the half, my mom was having a bit of trouble. We were going to find some shade, and when she stood up, she got dizzy. We sat her down, had her drink her water (waiting for the crowds to subside), then my son and I helped her up the stairs to a shady area. We had to stop to let a golf cart through -- it was one of those passenger carts that seats 8, filled with six elderly people with ice bags on the backs of their necks.

We got mom to the shade behind the concession stand, where that young lady was still sitting in the shade looking uncomfortable. Mom was really starting to have problems, and the nearby police officer got her a couple of handfuls of ice wrapped in paper towel and offered to get her a chair. We moved her to a nearby bench, and she was able to be moved into a nearby air conditioned building. She was the first one in the building, and within 10 minutes, there were about 20 others in there -- five of those people (including my mom) looked like they could use EMS help. None of the people in that building saw an EMS worker, though there were several DPD officers in there.

Fortunately, the ice and the bottle of water mom had helped cool and rehydrate her enough that we were able to take her home in the middle of the third quarter. She's doing fine now.

Just from the number of people that we had to pass while helping my mom -- I'm not sure that Duke could have anticipated the need.

From here on out, night games through September get my vote!

(And that, Cathy, is the reason why I didn't find you during halftime!)

d, I'm sorry to hear that your Mom had a bad experience at the game. I'm relieved to know that she's doing well now.

(((Hugs)))

hydration

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    The amazing thing to me is that people do not know of the dangers of dehydration. It's so easy to prevent -- drink plenty of water, and don't wait until you are hot and thirsty to do it. The players hydrate themselves starting several days before a game. If you are planning to be sitting out in the sun at a football game in hot weather, hydrate before time, too. If you are hot, and you stop sweating, get help immediately.
    Avoiding alcohol and caffeine containing beverages is also important (both of which are, ahh, tough to do before/during sporting events). A bunch of DBR folks had a brunchgate prior to the event and I made sure I had very little alcohol and lots of OJ and milk and tasty breakfast foods during the gathering and probably 2 bottles of water during the game. It was tough walking up/down the stairs and around the concourse today and I am in fairly good shape and I even felt a bit light-headed with a headache at times during the game today.

Let's face it: the only fans watching the Duke - Navy game on ESPNU were Duke and Navy fans, who probably would watch that over USC-Ohio State anyway, at least record one of them on their two channel DVR. Yes, this game should have been scheduled at night.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    So can the concession stand improvements.
    So can the luxury boxes.
    So can lowering the field.
    So can removing the track.
    So can fixing the parking situation.

There is something else that must come first. Improve the EMS services.

Midway through the second quarter an elderly man two rows in front of me slumped over and passed out. Fans sprung into action, getting him laid out on a bleacher, getting his clothes loosened. Getting some water and ice. A doctor seated near by came to help. People called for the EMS service. Three minutes later two police officers arrived. Another two minutes later two more police officers arrived. After NINE minutes two EMS folks arrived, but they had neither a defibrillator nor oxygen. After another three minutes two more EMS workers arrived with a defib and oxygen.

Fortunately it was a case of heat stroke. Had it been a heart attack the man would have been dead. There is no excuse for the lack of decent EMS services at any event where 25,000 people are gathered. I wasn't seated in some far outpost, but at the fifty yard line 23 rows up from the field. We could have gotten a couple of strong guys and carried the guy to the hospital in the time it took EMS to get there (well, that might be an exageration, but we could have gotten him to the stadium gate and to an ambulance). Of course, there were four EMS workers on the field, not fifty yards in front of us, but they never came. Instead, two workers, apparantly summoned from a galaxy far, far away, were called instead. It was frightening, and could have ended a lot worse than it did.
    Allen Murray, I was also several rows behing the gentleman and can verify your statements and timing. It was absolutely pitiful and a disgrace. Navy fans were yelling about the lack of medical attention and the policeman (at least 4) were astounded that no medical personnel showed up to help. Fortunately, one of the fans was a doctor and the older gentleman was OK. I hope I don't have a serious problem some day at WW, because if I do, I'm probably done.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    The concessions ran out of water in the 4th quarter. I wish I could have continued to hydrate.
    Well there is no excuse for that, and I think some of the stands ran out in the first two games too!

Too bad we cannot bring sealed bottles of water into the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jlear View Post
    Well there is no excuse for that, and I think some of the stands ran out in the first two games too!

I don't really see how this can happen. Order enough for 5 games. If you don't sell it, sell it at other places in school during the week, or save it for next week. I'm pretty sure water doesn't go bad, certainly not in a week's time.

Edit: Is that the right way to say that? Is it "week's time" or "weeks time" in that case? Any members of our well staffed grammar police feel free to chime in.
    Last edited by Acymetric; 09-13-2008 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Grammar lesson?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Bingo! I'm a beach bum from days gone by so I am okay at these events, provided I hydrate. Knowing how hot it would be I had three bottles of water and a large lemonade at the game. That's fifteen dollars I saw a lot of people that should have known better than to battle the heat, yet they did. Also made a point not to drink but one caff drink in the morning and no brews!

No excuse running our of H2O though. As much as we've talked about this, the trend continues. Very slow lines with the digitals as well.

Edit: Is that the right way to say that? Is it "week's time" or "weeks time" in that case? Any members of our well staffed grammar police feel free to chime in.
    One week's time, two weeks' time. And I'm an engineer.

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    One week's time, two weeks' time. And I'm an engineer.
    Thanks. If I'd bothered to think of it like that I probably wouldn't have had to ask. I remember engineering, my former major/career choice. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by jlear View Post

Anytime the temperatures are warm, the concession stands run out of water. This has been going on for years. Despite the team playing really well today, the afternoon was disturbing. A number of people tried to go into the lobby of Cameron in the second half for the A/C and the security people advised that it was not open to the public.

The EMT's and police are not to blame, it continues to be a problem caused by the administration, as they are arrogant and don't bother with proper planning for an event. I think we deserve better!!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Anytime the temperatures are warm, the concession stands run out of water. This has been going on for years. Despite the team playing really well today, the afternoon was disturbing. A number of people tried to go into the lobby of Cameron in the second half for the A/C and the security people advised that it was not open to the public.

The EMT's and police are not to blame, it continues to be a problem caused by the administration, as they are arrogant and don't bother with proper planning for an event. I think we deserve better!!
    We've got a new AD. Now is a good time to share your thoughts and suggestions with him.

You know what I dont understand? doesnt Duke leagally HAVE TO have a water fountain available? Isnt there a law that says any person who wants water at such an event must have access to free water? Especially at duke football games, where we cant bring in our own water and they stands often run out of bottled water on the days when it is needed most...