Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas problem??

Gas problem??

This has nothing to do with the chili I had for lunch ....

for people in triangle area...
    In this area-western NC-there is a crunch for gas--some stations are completely out, others running short and say they are unable to get more????
    need I worry about getting home after the FB game ???

I've seen nothing like that in Durham.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I've seen nothing like that in Durham.
    although prices in Raleigh have jumped this afternoon. We just paid $4.17 for mid-grade ($4.06 regular), saw stations with the prices being taken down to be changed, I guess. And I read on WRAL that the Wilco-Hess stations (where prices were still under $4) are limiting people to 10 gallons.

So I guess you shouldn't have any problem buying gas, just be prepared to pay.

I was just out running errands and there are stupid long lines at stations all over the place in south Durham.

Before Gustav, my wife and I went out and filled up both cars in anticipation of a price spike. Didn't happen. So this time, we don't bother. And get a price spike.

Go figure.

Apparently the Gov. Easley is considering implementing (or already has) the anti-price gouging law. I heard on the radio that a gas station in Cary is already up to $4.79.

Just got a call from Cameron, my son at Elon who said that there were about 30 cars waiting for gas there, no 87 or 89 octane, so he had to fill up with high test. He also heard reported that stations in Troy were selling gas for $6 and somewhere else was selling it for $5. People are very angry and contacting whoever it is one contacts in NC to report price gouging.
    I've got a bad feeling about Ike.

I saw gas go from $3.64 to $4.75 in a matter of 4 hours just outside of Rutherfordton, NC this morning. Many stations are sold out and cannot get more. The speculation is why sell now for $5 when you can get $7 next week???

The station manager was practically promising $5.25 by Sunday. Rumors are flying that gas will go to $7.00.

The local police are directing traffic at gas stations now. Some stations are rationing and others are refusing to sell except to regular customers.

By the end of the month we'll be proud to see prices at $4.50.

He said, she said and the line formed

Prices in WS jumped about 40 cents a gallon (87 octane) up to $3.99 per gallon in a few hours this afternoon. From about 3:30 on, lines began to form at gas stations with some lines spilling over into the street. Those waiting to purchase gas are behaving worse than during the gas shortages of the 70s. It appears to be a busy Friday afternoon complicated by panic and the fear that gasoline will run out. I did see a tanker leaving a station after making a delivery.

Here's an article from WRAL, the TV station in Raleigh. It hits all the high points pretty well.
    http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3536058/

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I was just out running errands and there are stupid long lines at stations all over the place in south Durham.
    About 15 minutes before you posted this I bought gas at the gas station on the corner of 9th and Main - no line, all pumps open and 87 octane was 3.99. On the other hand my boss heard from a relative at the beach that she was paying $5/gallon and another friend said the Kangaroo/Patry she went to in Cary today had some pumps closed and a sign saying each customer was limited to 10 gallons per purchase.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Similar stories from here at the beach. $4 - $4.15 for now, but lots of stations had a $40 limit. I remember very similar scenario after Katrina. Not fun, this is why I have dreaded every Gulf storm since K.

I'll get some gas at 10 when I go get my red bull to start the regular wrightsville rage

I doubt there will be any kind of line.

Thumbs down Wide spread panic attacks

There were lines here in Smithfield all afternoon, but prices off the interstate (in town) were the same $3.63 they were yesterday. The stations on Hwy 70, I-95 exit 97, were at $4.19 this afternoon. Tonight, the stations were still at $3.63 with lines at 9:00 p.m. when I went to Wal-Mart to buy ice for tomorrow's tailgate. Driving past the same Kangaroo 10 minutes later on the way home, there were no lines - they had run out of 87 and 89. I filled up (ok, I only needed 2 gallons since I filled up Thursday night) with premium at $3.87, which will be far less than whatever is charged tomorrow (or next week) when they get more gas. Then I came home and went back with my wife's car and put in 4 gallons of premium.

If I can't be part of the solution, I might as well enjoy being part of the problem!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The gas station nearest to where I live in West Raleigh bumped from $3.63 to $4.98. It's a Crown, fwiw. A couple of blocks down Western Boulevard a Hess was still at $3.63. My wife, bless her heart, waited in line for 20 minutes on the way home from work to fill up there. She's a keeper.

Easley and Cooper are talking big talk about going after price gougers. We'll see.

Ike and gas

I am hunkered down here in Houston watching the trees blowing in the high winds outside No rain yet. Galveston area is basically flooded from just the tidal surge, but expected to get much worse in an hour or so. During the next 2 hours or so we will see how much we begin to be affected here in Houston.

Approximately 16% of the gas in the U.S. is refined here, I think. Also, all the platforms in the Gulf of Mexico have been evacuated. So, there is nothing being produced out there for now.

While the price of a barrel of oil is now at or just below $100, there is a big time shortage of gas due to the above reasons. Depending upon how many refineries are damaged and the time it will take to get power back to them will determine how long this will last.

ricks

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Easley and Cooper are talking big talk about going after price gougers. We'll see.
    I hope so. Your story just proves they are out there Jim. Even if no one acts on them now, I hope as customers we all remember how your local stations behaved in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    I am hunkered down here in Houston watching the trees blowing in the high winds outside No rain yet. Galveston area is basically flooded from just the tidal surge, but expected to get much worse in an hour or so. During the next 2 hours or so we will see how much we begin to be affected here in Houston.

Approximately 16% of the gas in the U.S. is refined here, I think. Also, all the platforms in the Gulf of Mexico have been evacuated. So, there is nothing being produced out there for now.

While the price of a barrel of oil is now at or just below $100, there is a big time shortage of gas due to the above reasons. Depending upon how many refineries are damaged and the time it will take to get power back to them will determine how long this will last.

ricks
    Stay safe, Ricks

Its amazing how most of our refineries are in hurricane territories. I am an environmentalist, but the American NIMBY of the last 35 years is as much to blame for high gasoline prices as any of the jerks in the Middle East or Venezuela.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Its amazing how most of our refineries are in hurricane territories. I am an environmentalist, but the American NIMBY of the last 35 years is as much to blame for high gasoline prices as any of the jerks in the Middle East or Venezuela.
    Absolutely agree with the NIMBY problem. Now, finally, people are saying yes, PLEASE build more refineries and drill off my shorelines.

Most don't realize this, but 20 years ago, in the mid/late 80's, there were plans to build a major refinery outside of Wilmington, NC. There were public hearings and the plans died of course. Too bad too, looking at yesterday's gas lines because the pipeline from the Gulf region was down and the pipeline from Wilmington didn't exist.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Red face Hmm... a refinery/drilling off Wilmington... hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Absolutely agree with the NIMBY problem. Now, finally, people are saying yes, PLEASE build more refineries and drill off my shorelines.

Most don't realize this, but 20 years ago, in the mid/late 80's, there were plans to build a major refinery outside of Wilmington, NC. There were public hearings and the plans died of course. Too bad too, looking at yesterday's gas lines because the pipeline from the Gulf region was down and the pipeline from Wilmington didn't exist.
    Not that major hurricanes would have hit North Carolina or anything...

Gas prices in the Bluegrass State went up a dime yesterday, but quite a few stations had shortages due to the Widespread Panic.

Meanwhile, ILoveJimmy drove from ATL to North Carolina yesterday, reporting a 40 cent rise in ATL. Perhaps she could get some fuel at the football game today?

I hope all is well with Ricks!

LGD,
    Lavabe