View Poll Results: Who had the best lines in Airplane?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Johnny

    8 30.77%
  • The Jive Dudes

    2 7.69%
  • Rex Kramer

    0 0%
  • Steve McCroskey

    6 23.08%
  • Roger Murdock

    0 0%
  • Captain Oveur

    2 7.69%
  • Dr. Rumack

    2 7.69%
  • Ted Striker

    2 7.69%
  • Other

    4 15.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Who had the best lines in Airplane?

    I had to think about this, probably more than I had to think about the Bill Murray poll. The obvious first choices for me were Captain Oveur or Dr. Rumack, but after careful consideration I had to go with Johnny. He delivers nothing but one liners throughout the greater part, if not all, of the movie. Each one of them is hysterical. I think he's the most underrated of the group and has the best lines.

    Johnny - "Where did you get that dress, it's awful, and those shoes and that coat, jeeeeez!"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY

    Talking Other

    I went with other, and I can't even quote it.

    It's whatever Barbara Billingsley (the Beaver's mom) said to the Jive Dudes. The Jive Dudes didn't deliver the punch line; the Beave's mom did.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    West of The Mississippi
    I went with Johnny under the assumption that he was the one who said "Heath, Nick, Jarrod, the barn's on fire!" But it's been over 10 years since I last watched it, so my memory is a little fuzzy about the names.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Correct side of the Durham/CH border
    Come on folks... McCroskey all the way!

    "Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue."

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I went with other, and I can't even quote it.

    It's whatever Barbara Billingsley (the Beaver's mom) said to the Jive Dudes. The Jive Dudes didn't deliver the punch line; the Beave's mom did.
    I went with other also - I love it when the stewardess asks if anyone speaks Jive and June Cleaver says I do. It cracks me up everytime I think of it.

    I also like the overhead announcer at the airport. Flight ? (can't remember the number) is now arriving at gate 14, gate 16, gate 18, etc.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
    "Over Mucho Grande?"

    "No. I don't think I'll ever get over Mucho Grande." (sp).


    Also, from Airplane II (or was it one?):

    Striker: “We’re coming in low.

    The Girl: “Low? Is that dangerous?”

    Striker (dramatically): “No. It’s just something you have to do…………..when you land.”

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC

    little kids acting all grown up

    "Would you like cream and sugar?"

    "No, thank you. I like mine black. Like my men."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
    Airplane II:

    "We're gonna have to blow the computer."

    "You mean, blow R.O.C.?"

    [Smiley face on R.O.C.]

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Correct side of the Durham/CH border
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    "Would you like cream and sugar?"

    "No, thank you. I like mine black. Like my men."
    Winner! That one always kills me. I love the look on the boy's face when she says that. Priceless.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Winner! That one always kills me. I love the look on the boy's face when she says that. Priceless.
    Couldn't agree more. There might not be a more unexpected line in movie history--just brilliant.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Correct side of the Durham/CH border
    Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. There might not be a more unexpected line in movie history--just brilliant.
    Sorry to hijack but for me the most unexpected line in comedy history comes from American Pie: "What's my name? Say my name b----!"

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. There might not be a more unexpected line in movie history--just brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Sorry to hijack but for me the most unexpected line in comedy history comes from American Pie: "What's my name? Say my name b----!"
    Um, you guys need to watch more movies! Try watching "Some Like It Hot" and see if you stand by your above statements after hearing the last line of the film.

    Makes me grin just thinking about it...
    JBDuke

    Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ← Bay / Valley ↓
    hmm... this might not be the best thread to admit that I still haven't seen this movie in its entirety...

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    hmm... this might not be the best thread to admit that I still haven't seen this movie in its entirety...
    Dingus

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!

    Airplane

    Picking the best line is tough. Picking the best roll? That's easy. The autopilot!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  16. #16
    Where her head is and the smile on its face is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. The fact that she was such a good sport and willing to go all in on it is what made the scene though. She wasn't tentative at all. She jumped right in there and worked that nozzle!
    LET'S GO DUKE!

  17. #17
    m.i.a.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    On the basis of lines I still bring out on a regular basis, I went with Dr. Rumack: "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley"

    Upon further thought, I give a strong second place to Capt. Oveur: "Joey, have you ever been in a cockpit before? ... Have you ever seen a grown man naked? ... Have you ever been to a Turkish prison?"
    A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilBen02 View Post
    On the basis of lines I still bring out on a regular basis, I went with Dr. Rumack: "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley"

    Upon further thought, I give a strong second place to Capt. Oveur: "Joey, have you ever been in a cockpit before? ... Have you ever seen a grown man naked? ... Have you ever been to a Turkish prison?"
    "Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?" Has to be my favorite.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    this summer

    My family and I were on a flight from Anchorage to Juneau, when the flight attendant announced they were having problems with the "navigation system" and then the "autopilot". All I could think of was the inflatable autopilot from Airplane.

Similar Threads

  1. Airplane Question
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 11-11-2008, 05:01 PM
  2. What is your favorite WWII Airplane?
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 12:38 AM
  3. Airplane Crash Fears
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 05:21 PM
  4. outside the lines first report
    By kinghoops in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 10:08 PM
  5. Great TV Lines
    By knights68 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-25-2007, 08:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •