Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Carolina early entry vigil

I say Wright goes. Given his potential draft status and the risk of injury, it would be extremely hard not to go into the draft.

I can see Lawson going if he gets advice that he will go in the first round. I bet he has his sights set on bigger things than UNC.

The big question mark will be Hansbrough. He's as ready as he ever will be for the League. And without Wright, next year's team will not be as good as this year's team, so the chances of getting a championship are slimmer. Maybe a good time for him to go.

Ellington stays, I predict.

I would hope Ellington stays. I hope he stays four years the way he has missed clutch shots throughout the season.

Wright is supposed to be gone, being top 5 and all. I think Lawson will join him. He's definitely a first round draft pick, perhaps even lottery. Probably only TJ Ford can match his speed in the NBA.

Tyler seems to be a 4-yr player to me. He's psychotic and he's not going to leave until he gets a Final Four.

i'm saying that wes miller and reyshawn terry go.
    I also think wright and lawson are gone.
    players like thompson and stepheson will not look so good next year without those guys taking the pressure off of them imo.
    there were some ellington transfer rumors floating out there a few weeks ago, but they are probably just like the LT and Hendo rumors...fake.
    I'm not exactly sold on hansb coming back. he probably will, but we'll see.

Wright is projected top 5 and I had read Lawson got out of the habit of going to class, which is usually not a good sign.

I think Ty stays because this draft class is loaded and unlike Josh he seems to be enjoying the college ball experience.

Well my track record in regards to predictions is pretty poor but here goes: Wright and Lawson go early but Hansbrough & Ellington return. Of course, Miller and Terry are gone to graduation.

Carolina can make up for Wright with Deon Thompson and Alex Stephenson but they will be hurting at point guard. QT & BF are liabilities with the ball in their hands. With the exception of the point guard position, Carolina will still be a good team. I wonder if Ellington will see time at the point next year.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

If Wright and Hansbrough both come back it has be frustrating for guys like Thompson and Stepheson. Neither of those guys is going to get much more PT than they got this year, and both were fairly well-regarded out of high school. They probably assumed there would be guys declaring early for the draft to free up playing time for them.

I'm thinking reyshawn will go given he's a senior and all, call it a hunch.

Wright's the 4th draft pick at worst so hard to see him not leaving. Lawson's already been skipping out on class so his mind may have been made up about a month ago.

I'd be shocked if Hansbrough left though I think he's a better prospect than McRoberts right now (my opinion). Contrary to how others feel I really do like the kind of player Tyler is.

No matter what, the heels will still put the most talented team in the ACC on the floor(they have been ever since Roy arrived - even in '06 in my opinion). That is just how ridiculously loaded they are. If Lawson and Hans are still around they're the obvious front runners for national champs. Then I'm sure Roy will bring in a loaded class full of future NBA prospects the next year.

Don't get too excited, the cupboard will never be bare in ch. Even Matt Doherty could recruit there.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I'm thinking reyshawn will go given he's a senior and all, call it a hunch.

Wright's the 4th draft pick at worst so hard to see him not leaving. Lawson's already been skipping out on class so his mind may have been made up about a month ago.

I'd be shocked if Hansbrough left though I think he's a better prospect than McRoberts right now (my opinion). Contrary to how others feel I really do like the kind of player Tyler is.

No matter what, the heels will still put the most talented team in the ACC on the floor(they have been ever since Roy arrived - even in '06 in my opinion). That is just how ridiculously loaded they are. If Lawson and Hans are still around they're the obvious front runners for national champs. Then I'm sure Roy will bring in a loaded class full of future NBA prospects the next year.

Don't get too excited, the cupboard will never be bare in ch. Even Matt Doherty could recruit there.
    If both Wright and Lawson are gone, then it is very debatable that the Tarheels have the most talented team next year. We'd then have better players at 3 of the five starting spots (Paulus over Thomas/Frasor, Nelson over Ginyard/Green, and Singler over Thompson) with Scheyer and Ellington being in a similar category in my book. And our bench would be better than their bench. If we got Patterson, I'd say we'd be hands-down the more talented team.

If Lawson stays, then you are right: they'll still be the most talented team in the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    No matter what, the heels will still put the most talented team in the ACC on the floor(they have been ever since Roy arrived - even in '06 in my opinion).
    I'm probably just drinking too much Kool-Aid, but I don't know about that statement if UNC loses Wright and Lawson and we pick up Patterson. I think we will be nose to nose with them in the talent department if those things happen.

Gary

Wright's gone.

Lawson's gone.

Tyler's coming back.

Smile

I agree with everyone that Wright and Lawson are gone, but I also think Hansbrough is gone as well. Just a gut feeling.

Who is gone

In the post-game interview, Wright refused to say that he'd be back for next year. Hansbrough didn't respond at all. If Hansbrough doesn't leave he's nuts. What is he 22 or 23 years old now?

Hansbrough's back.

Lawson may be back, but only because this draft is so deep. But unlike other players, he will most assuredly have a 2nd and 3rd contract because he is just plain awesome. So he doesn't need to go all that high right now (granted it would be nice for him), but he knows he will have a good career in the league and that the money will come as soon as he goes.

Wright should be the only player to go but Lawson will go even though he can't score and is way undersized. Handsborough will stay because he is a much better college player then NBA prospect because he lacks the height to play center but lacks the foot speed and atheletism to play power forward and won't be able to bully players in the NBA. Not a roll player at all and that would be what he is asked. Josh is a much better prospect because he is 6'11 even tough he is a powerfoward and probably the most atheletic big man in the draft.

UNC
    PG Frasor
    SG Ellington
    SF Green and Ginaryd
    PF Thompson
    C Handsborough

Duke
    PG Paulus
    SG Scheyer
    SF Nelson
    PF/SF Singler
    C Zoebeck or Patterson

With Patterson Duke is much better then Carolina plus with the loss of Lawson and the lack of depth Carolina will have to resort to playing a half court offense and Duke's new found depth will run and gun the Heels off of the court.

Thumbs down (SP?)

If I were you Lavell12, I would check out the thread on misspelling names instead of trying to figure out who the starting five of Duke and Unc are going to be next year. Sorry, but I just can't stand people spelling the names wrong of our own team members.

Thoughts

I don't think the depth in the draft is relevant to Lawson - it is deep for big men, not really for PG's. I guess AC law is there, but otherwise it looks like there are basically seniors who are PG's (and we all know that seniors have peaked if they are still in college and playing )

As for Josh being the most athletic big man in the draft, I think you are looking with a biased eye - Noah, Wright, and especially Durant (at 6-10) are all more athletic, with better numbers. Josh will go in the first round, but he will sweat it out to a late-first round, IMO.

I see Lawson and Wright going, and hope Tyler follows.

Exiled

Lawson

He said in the press conference that he's going to stay another year... we'll see.

I'm not saying Lawson is going to go pro, but I do not agree that the draft this year is very deep at his position. Next year may be different. Guys like Mayo, Gordon, and Rose come to mind. This might be the better year for Lawson to go I think.

Hans is back. otoh, arthritis kicks in next year.

everybody except Wright is staying, IMHO