Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    It's interesting how Lawson is handling this situation. Rumors have been abundant that he may leave yet he has stated three or four times that he is coming back...including in today's Fayetteville Paper:

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=258192

As a fan, I would rather have a situation like Josh's where he just goes, than to have a player tell me how much he loves his teammates, school, the coach, etc...and then make a beeline for the back door at the end of the semester.

I still say he leaves though along with Wright. I think Hansborough stays and Carolina and Duke are both in the 10-15 range preseason.
    Last edited by keithg; 03-26-2007 at 01:43 PM.

Tough PG class next year

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Wright is gone for sure, in my opinion. He played pretty darn well late in the season and his draft stock is such (top 5) that coming back would not seem to make sense.

Lawson will stay, I think. He showed a ton of speed but struggled a bit in the NCAA tourney with his shot/scoring. I think he would be a mid-late first rounder if he came out. His stock could get a lot higher by waiting a year and having another strong season. The question is, does Lawson want to stay or want to go? We have all heard the reports about him not being very into his class work.

Hanbrough's stock has to be sky high at this point. He was a stud in the NCAA tourney. Don't forget that he did a lot of damage against Georgetown when matched against guys like Green and Hibbert, who the NBA sees as legit first-round prospects. To me, the notion that Hansy will not score at the next level seems false. It is not like hard work is suddenly not something that matters. Hansbrough will be a NBA player (I see him as a solid 6-8th man on a good team or a starting PF on a team with some issues at that position). He is never going to be a high lottery pick but if he comes out now he goes in the top 20 picks, I think. I don't think his stock can get higher. He just has to decide if he wants to leave now or hang around and try to win a national title (which may be muuuuch harder with Wright gone and will be almost impossible if Lawson is gone too).

-Jason
    From a pure point of maximizing his draft stock, Lawson should leave this year or he may need to wait two years to go. He is currently the consensus #1 or 2 PG in the draft this year(Draft Express has him #13 overall right now), whereas, next year's draft could be loaded. The top 3 players in this year's HS senior class all play some PG and are at least 6'2". Derrick Rose is absolutely amazing as a PG prospect (I don't state this lightly but in the few games I saw he reminded me of J.Will as the complete package, including strength and maturity-probably a superior passer too) and Mayo and Gordon are gifted PG/SGs.

If he were to stay, as well as Hansborough, I agree that UNC will be a contender again, but less clearly dominant than they potentially were this year.

And if Lawson leaves, it really doesn't make a lot of sense for Hansbrough to stay (from an NBA perspective, that is) because (as good as he genuinely is) he benefited dramatically from Wright's presence this year (and Lawson's, getting him the ball in great locations). I know that he's a sophomore and seems like a 4 year guy, but he's also 22 years old later this year.

I think, and have thought for awhile, that all 3 are probably gone, but Lawson and Hansbrough should probably link their decisions together, at least from a practical standpoint.

If all 3 should leave (and don't forget Terry and Miller) Carolina will be a borderline Top-25 team at best, though it'll be a safer year (than we had this year) to be down in the ACC since so many other teams lose key seniors as well. I personally believe that Duke, even without Patterson, will be as deep as UNC was this year and while I wouldn't predict National Championship (until 2009), they'll be top 10 caliber by the middle of the year. If Thomas and/or Zoubek were to develop lean bulk/strength (which is certainly within the realm of possibility), Duke could be a serious sleeper next year.

Even if Lawson and Hansbrough stay, I see the two teams as competing fairly evenly for the ACC title.

In any event, I'm looking forward to next year as we'll have so many players who have the potential to develop in exciting ways. And if Patterson were to come, I think we definitely have a place for him to be successful right away, develop, and possibly win some championships!

Sorry to be so optimistic (and I could certainly be wrong, but I really don't think I'm being crazy), but UNC blowing a lead to miss the Final Four works a certain magic, if you know what I mean. :0)

Alison, Lindsey, thank you and no regrets!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!
    Last edited by ikiru36; 03-26-2007 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I heard something different, though this was obviously before yesterday:

Wright: 100%
    Hansbrough: Pretty darn close to 100%
    Lawson: 50/50
    Ellington: Returning

Wow, where did you hear that? Everything I've heard and read (up to and during the tournament) seemed to indicate that Hansbrough was staying. His family is well off (and so they don't need the money) and Hansbrough loves being in school. He has said repeatedly that he plans to stay for 4 years. While that doesn't necessarily mean much, it's always seemed to me to be an honest answer (though maybe I'm just looking at it through light-blue tinted glasses).

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph-Wiggum View Post
    Wow, where did you hear that? Everything I've heard and read (up to and during the tournament) seemed to indicate that Hansbrough was staying. His family is well off (and so they don't need the money) and Hansbrough loves being in school. He has said repeatedly that he plans to stay for 4 years. While that doesn't necessarily mean much, it's always seemed to me to be an honest answer (though maybe I'm just looking at it through light-blue tinted glasses).
    I heard it from an NBA source. He very well might be wrong. But he's usually correct. I have no idea if yesterday's loss -- and Hansbrough's competitiveness -- will change things. But his draft stock never has been, and never will be, higher.

Hansbourgh stock was higher last year than this year. Actually, IMO, Wright looked better and Hans put up good numbers because of Wright. If a team has to worry about just Hansbourgh his play could drop next year as with his stock. If he is in the top 15 he should go now. But with this draft loaded with big guys; i.e. Oden, Durant, Wright, etc. he might want to re-think that (as Josh should have). If Hibbert goes Hansbourgh better stay, he didn't look good against him.

Lawson has to consider being compared to the much hipped Mayo next year. The question might be guys like Conley Jr. at OSU. If he goes this year then Lawson might not look so good this year.

If Wright and Lawson go so should Hansbourgh. If Hansbourgh and Wright go so should Lawson.

Ellington is a question mark, if all three of those go he might want to consider it too.

But IMO it all comes down to who of the underclassman will go before some of these guys decide if they'll go. Actually I hope about the top 20 freshman go so the pros see what a stupid rule it is to make them wait.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    If Hibbert goes Hansbourgh better stay, he didn't look good against him.
    Granted, he (and the entire UNC team) struggled at the end of the game, but I'd personally love to not look good against someone to the tune of 26 points, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 turnover and going to the free throw line 16 times (making 14 of them).

As for last year vs. this year, that's a tough call but he may be a slightly lower pick this year than he would have been last (due to the depth of big men). Nevertheless, he did demonstrate improvement in a number of NBA important skills (really improved his offensive arsenal including some range out beyond 10'). If he's a top 20 pick, which he really should be, this is the year he should go, for his own professional career (if that is particularly important to him).

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    mean absolutely nothing. A few years ago (to be fair, after winning a title), Carmelo made a comment to the effect of "I thought you were supposed to go to college for four years."
    Not even two weeks ago, McBob expressed his commitment to his teammates and said "we have to get better."
    I suppose that was so "we" could pack our bags a week later.
    I'll just wait for things to shake out. In the meantime, I'll hope for the best while expecting the worst.
    Having futilely engaged over the years in efforts to deconstruct the early entry comments of Brand, Avery, Dunleavy and Deng (at which point I took the pledge to give up), I will let the Tar Heel fans worry about it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    Hansbourgh stock was higher last year than this year. Actually, IMO, Wright looked better and Hans put up good numbers because of Wright. If a team has to worry about just Hansbourgh his play could drop next year as with his stock.
    Next year, teams will not have the luxury of just worrying about Hansbrough. Even with Wright in the NBA, Carolina will have two quality big men on the floor because Deon Thompson is impressive.

Of course this is assuming Hansbrough returns.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

I would be willing to bet an irrelevant body part that Hansbrough stays for next year. Pinky toe?

I guess that it's nice to have this conversation about the other team, rather than our own. It was nice of Josh to get his announcement out of the way quickly so that we didn't have to speculate, and hopefully no one else is considering dipping their toes into the NBA waters.

As for UNC, I don't know why Wright would come back. He's not going to be a higher pick (and if Durant or Oden actually stay, like they're saying they might, he could be one of the top 2 picks). I know that Hansbrough has stated that he's a 4 year guy, but that doesn't always mean much when the money comes knocking. Even if his family is well off, I'm sure that a guaranteed $3-4 million looks good. He had an excellent tourney, so if he was talking about leaving before the tourney started, I'd have to guess that he is out the door. His stock isn't going to get much higher. As for Lawson, it's been mentioned multiple times, but he doesn't seem to be at UNC for the schoolwork. I'd guess that as long as he gets told that he's a decent mid-round pick, which some team will probably be willing to do, he's gone. He was one of the guys who would have moved into the top 10 with a good tourney, which he didn't have, but his speed/athleticism is unreal. I guess the biggest question (after size) is whether he can handle the pressure/has a winner's mentality. I say he takes the money too. I could just be wishing here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see all 3 leave.

"He said in the press conference that he's going to stay another year... we'll see."

so did deng

"Duke
    PG Paulus
    SG Scheyer
    SF Nelson
    PF/SF Singler
    C Zoebeck or Patterson"

nelson? no.

hans-b

not sure i understand why everyone thinks he won't be a good pro. people get so hung up on this "nba prospect" thing. simply put, he is a better player than almost anyone else coming out. the same things were said about elton, boozer and sean may (to slow, not big enough, no jumper) when they came out. (elton to a lesser extent). those guys have all done well. may has been hampered by injuries, but when he has been healthy he has showed that the same talent he used in college works in the pros.

tyler will be good in the nba if given the chance to contribute. (tyler, you reading this? go pro! now!)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    not sure i understand why everyone thinks he won't be a good pro. people get so hung up on this "nba prospect" thing. simply put, he is a better player than almost anyone else coming out. the same things were said about elton, boozer and sean may (to slow, not big enough, no jumper) when they came out. (elton to a lesser extent). those guys have all done well. may has been hampered by injuries, but when he has been healthy he has showed that the same talent he used in college works in the pros.

tyler will be good in the nba if given the chance to contribute. (tyler, you reading this? go pro! now!)
    i don't know who said that about elton, but it couldn't have been anyone too important. he went #1. boozer's obviously surprised a few people but i don't think may has played above expectations. he's putting up solid 2nd-stringer numbers, but it's for a bad team and i don't exactly see him morphing into a 20-10 guy anytime soon. you're right though, i could see hansbrough going either way.

are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    i don't know who said that about elton, but it couldn't have been anyone too important. he went #1. boozer's obviously surprised a few people but i don't think may has played above expectations. he's putting up solid 2nd-stringer numbers, but it's for a bad team and i don't exactly see him morphing into a 20-10 guy anytime soon. you're right though, i could see hansbrough going either way.

you might want to check those stats again. boozer was an all-star, averaging 20 and 12 for a team that started out better than any in the league. really, what/who are you talking about?

as for brand, many people said it. they said he was "more like 6-6 than 6-8." that he "played a lot bigger than his size." those aren't direct quotes, but that is the idea of what was said. in his case, he had so thoroughly dominated college hoops that it was thought to be irrelevant.

to me, hansbrough is similar. probably not as skilled or athletic, but still good.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    you might want to check those stats again. boozer was an all-star, averaging 20 and 12 for a team that started out better than any in the league. really, what/who are you talking about?

I think you missed a word: he's talking about May, not Boozer. Boozer has "obviously surprised a few people", but he doesn't think "may has played above expectations".

my bad

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I think you missed a word: he's talking about May, not Boozer. Boozer has "obviously surprised a few people", but he doesn't think "may has played above expectations".
    its still early. sorry.

as for may, though, i think the jury is still out. he has flashes of brilliance. i think we owe him at least another year to see where he will end up. maybe not a injury plagued year.

The pinky and its metatarsal are pretty important for balance. Ask Elton Brand.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

just my 2 cents

I think th is gone. As has been mentioned, his stock isn't going to get much higher, so the time is right from that standpoint. The other basketball reason to stay is to try to win a championship but after they lose a bunch of talent this year, that is not going to seem too likely for 2008.

As for a degree, he can go the NBA now -- while his value is maxed out -- and still get the degree with summer school.

I really believe he's gone, unless he just absolutely loves college. And that's not just wishful thinking.

As mentioned before, I think Tyler will stay because he's psychotically competitive and doesn't want to leave college without a Final Four under his belt, but if there's one thing working in our favor, it's the fact that he's already 21 yrs old and will be 22 in November. Maybe it's time for him to get a job or something...

Hansbrough to return

per draft express.com...