The Fall TV season -- aka: which shows will survive

I am going to try to do some of what I did last year and keep folks aware of how various shows are doing this fall in the ratings. If there are specific shows you are interested in, let me know.

I will start with the highest profile show of the new season-- Fringe.

The overnights are not very good, but they are not a disaster either. It only got about 9 million viewers, which is hardly the number Fox had been hoping for. The good news is that its numbers did not drop off in each half-hour, which means that folks who tuned in stuck around to see the ending. Of course, the real test is to see if folks tune in next week. Fringe, predictably, did well with younger viewers -- which is a good thing. Still, that 9 million figure is at least 15-25% lower than Fox had hoped.

-Jason

If you are one of those folks excited about the return of 90210, I have bad news...

Week two of the new/old show was a huuuuge dropoff from the premiere episode. After scoring 4.7 million viewers in its debut (a strong number for the CW), the audience either forgot about 90210 or did not care about coming back for week two. It got just 3.3 million viewers last night. Gaaaack! That means 1 out of every 3 people who watched last week did not bother to tune in this week. Folks, that is bad... really bad.

The CW is still really struggling for solid programming and many of its shows are barely known, which is one reason I expect 90210 to be given a very, very long leash by the network and a lot of chances to survive and thrive.

It ain't going away anytime soon, but this certainly is not a good sign.

-Jason "what is Shannen Doherty gonna do for a paycheck if this gets canceled?" Evans