Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any punk who thinks pork < beef...

... is a fool.

While I love a good steak (the ribeye is on the grill as we speak) the pork product is superior.

Pork Tenderloin
    Spare ribs
    Pork chops
    Ham

annnnddddd

BACON!

The best. Here is a shot of my meat, with appropriate decoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    ... is a fool.

While I love a good steak (the ribeye is on the grill as we speak) the pork product is superior.

Pork Tenderloin
    Spare ribs
    Pork chops
    Ham

annnnddddd

BACON!

OH MY! A Zealot!

While I would admit the pig may be a more "versatile" animal, I have to defend my base here. Let's do a bit of head to head shall we? I am doing this off of the top of my head, so the matchups probably aren't quite as perfect as if I had more free time, but let's give this a shot...

Filet Mignon > Pork Tenderloin. This one is a blow out.

Pork ribs > Beef Ribs. I love me some beef ribs about the size of a forearm, but you can't beat the meat falling completely off the bone of good slow smoked pork rib. It's probably closer for me than others, but I'll concede this to the pig.

Ribeye Steak > Pork Chop. I've had excellent pork chops in my time. In fact, I'd say the single best pork chop I have ever had was better than the best Ribeye. That being said, I've had tons of mediocre to bad pork chops at good establishments. Can't say the same thing for the Ribeye which is consistently awesome.

Deli Roast beef > Deli ham. This is personal opinion (what here isn't?), but a good roast beef sandwich beats a good ham sandwich 100% of the time.

Slow Smoked Brisket > Pulled Pork. This is controversial, I know, but if you give me the choice, I go with the brisket every time.

Bacon > Beef Jerky. Fair enough.

4 to 2 for beef. Debate over. ;-)

... is a fool.

Pork Tenderloin
    Spare ribs
    Pork chops
    Ham

annnnddddd

BACON!

Sir, I acknowledge your call-out and I assure you that I will be back to defend the virtues of the cow after putting the kids to bed and butchering a side of beef.

After we hash this out, we really need to post a DBR OTB poll - Cow v. Pig.

... is a fool.

Pork Tenderloin
    Spare ribs
    Pork chops
    Ham

annnnddddd

BACON!

Alright, first of all, this started off as a discussion of which animal was better. When factoring in milk, cheese, butter, sour cream, leather, etc., the cow is clearly superior to the pig, who, besides contributing its flesh, well, I guess it will eat anything and has some upside for people who like watching animals wallow in their own feces.

Nonetheless, I'll defend beef over pork. Steak is a many splendored thing, and ground beef gives us many things, like the burger and taco. Also, while pulled pork, pork ribs, etc are excellent forms of BBQ, the beef brisquet, done properly, may be the greatest of any food the good Lord has chosen to bless us with. In fact, I'm pretty sure I heard a rumor that it was the actual basis for the Greek mythology story of ambrosia.

I love the pig for breakfast foods, but pork tenderloin (yummy as it is) ultimately bows to its beef counterpart, and the pork chop can't hold a candle to the t-bone steak.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    While I would admit the pig may be a more "versatile" animal, I have to defend my base here. Let's do a bit of head to head shall we? I am doing this off of the top of my head, so the matchups probably aren't quite as perfect as if I had more free time, but let's give this a shot...

Pork ribs > Beef Ribs. I love me some beef ribs about the size of a forearm, but you can't beat the meat falling completely off the bone of good slow smoked pork rib. It's probably closer for me than others, but I'll concede this to the pig.

Ribeye Steak > Pork Chop. I've had excellent pork chops in my time. In fact, I'd say the single best pork chop I have ever had was better than the best Ribeye. That being said, I've had tons of mediocre to bad pork chops at good establishments. Can't say the same thing for the Ribeye which is consistently awesome.

Deli Roast beef > Deli ham. This is personal opinion (what here isn't?), but a good roast beef sandwich beats a good ham sandwich 100% of the time.

Slow Smoked Brisket > Pulled Pork. This is controversial, I know, but if you give me the choice, I go with the brisket every time.

4 to 2 for beef. Debate over. ;-)
    Good point, I totally forgot about roast beef.

Not a great fan of bacon, BUT I like big butts. and I can not lie.
    You other brothers can't deny...

Butt's on the grill, smoked. with a vinegar and hot pepper sauce.
    ~rthomas

Ok, just an observation, but so far, all the PPB left leaners are weighing in for pork while the PPB right leaners are supporting beef.

Also, I reject this thread on the basis that its thwarting my attempt to accomplish the unprecedented feat of hijacking a PPB thread to the OTB instead of the other way around.

As you live in Texas, this is to be expected. I have had some darned good brisket at some out the way places in TX and I'm not a huge fan.

But I was at a pig pickin' last weekend and it just does not get any better than that! Brisket can't come close. Mmmmmm... pork.

Quote Originally Posted by UVaAmbassador View Post
    Ok, just an observation, but so far, all the PPB left leaners are weighing in for pork while the PPB right leaners are supporting beef.

Also, I reject this thread on the basis that its thwarting my attempt to accomplish the unprecedented feat of hijacking a PPB thread to the OTB instead of the other way around.
    Cow is for bitter, gun toting people and pig is for the elitest. Hey, UVaAmbassador, I bet you don't even know how many cows you own. And that last cow, did you really sell it on Ebay?
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Cow is for bitter, gun toting people and pig is for the elitest. Hey, UVaAmbassador, I bet you don't even know how many cows you own. And that last cow, did you really sell it on Ebay?
    Actually, I was just thinking that it was evidence that all the left leaning people were unpatriotic, not red blooded, beef eating Americans, and that they were filled to the ears with their own crap!

P.S. I do award you kudos for a funny joke, though.
    Last edited by UVaAmbassador; 09-08-2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by UVaAmbassador View Post
    ...and that they were filled to the ears with their own crap!
    That would be chicken. Wait a minute...Do chickens have ears?
    ~rthomas

Call me Switzerland, because I have serious problems picking a side in this debate. A-Tex Devils and UVA make noble attempts at justifying their positions, and I can find many strengths in their arguments. However, I find the debate the exhausting and ultimately pointless.

Dead cows and dead pigs rule. Kill them. Smoke them. Cut them up. Grill them. I will eat them both and I will love every bite.

In the state where the pig rules you have Duke University and the iced tea comes to the table already sweetened (and in some places automatically - you know you are in a good BBQ joint when the bring tea to the table without asking). In the state where the Cow rules there is no Duke University AND they don't sweeten their iced tea (they bring it to the table with sugar, as though sugar will dissolve in cold tea - the imbiciles). Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Call me Switzerland, because I have serious problems picking a side in this debate. A-Tex Devils and UVA make noble attempts at justifying their positions, and I can find many strengths in their arguments. However, I find the debate the exhausting and ultimately pointless.

Dead cows and dead pigs rule. Kill them. Smoke them. Cut them up. Grill them. I will eat them both and I will love every bite.
    Um, welcome to the PPB, where exhausting and ultimately pointless is not just the norm, but the ideal!

A few things;

I appreciate the beef. Truly, I do. I eat more beef than anything else, and I value a good steakhouse like NO ONES business. Here is my dinner, a one and a half pound ribeye, just consumed maybe 20 minutes ago.

A nice marinate of rosmary, sage, garlic, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. Fantastic, especially the bits and pieces nestled RIGHT up against the fat...

Nonetheless; lets break it down.

Okay, hardly a blowout. While I love a nice filet, without a proper marbling of fat sometimes I almost find them... hmm... dare I say this... overrated? A good pork tenderloin, cooked properly so as not to dry it out, can be flavored in SO many ways... flattened and rolled with spices in the middle, marinated in ginger and soy... I will give you your beefy victory, but in no blowout sir.

Beef ribs are great, but cannot beat the pork. 1-1

No problem there; it is easy enough to dry a pork chop out. 2-1 beefy goodness.

No way, no how. Maybe Osama Bin Laden would agree, but anyone else with a brain would IMMEDIATELY give victory to a smokey, tasty ham. So congrats, you and Osama will be great buddies, eating your roast beef together. So 2-2, and shame on you for siding against America.

Something here is smoked, and it isn't the brisket. Pulled pork is a great sandwich option OR a great platter option. I love some good tender brisket, especially as it gets a great texture in the way the flesh shreds, but no way. 3-2 porky pig.

And here you go. You might as well have posted...

Bacon > Filet Mignon, Ribeye steak, Deli Roast Beef, Slow Smoked Brisket, AND (notice; not "or") Beef jerky. Bacon is the chosen of God, as long as you are not one of our middle eastern brethren.

So. Counting bacon as it should be counted, it seems the score is 1,321,003 - 2, porky pig. Have fun with Osama and your roast beef sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    In the state where the Cow rules there is no Duke University AND they don't sweeten their iced tea (they bring it to the table with sugar, as though sugar will dissolve in cold tea - the imbiciles).
    Glad someone else said it... that one has always killed me. All I end up with is a sugary sweet ice cube or two.

In the state where the pig rules you have Duke University and the iced tea comes to the table already sweetened (and in some places automatically - you know you are in a good BBQ joint when the bring tea to the table without asking). In the state where the Cow rules there is no Duke University AND they don't sweeten their iced tea (they bring it to the table with sugar, as though sugar will dissolve in cold tea - the imbiciles). Enough said.
    While I understand why the "Duke trump card" argument works on this board, your logic is flawed.

I have a good friend who is vegetarian. He eats no meat or seafood. He does eat bacon. He told me that when he decided to quit eating meat he ony did so after redefining bacon as a vegetable. For him, life was simply not worth living without bacon. There is no beef product that compares to bacon (not that crap that goes on sale at the local grocery store for $1.99 per pound. Go to a butcher shop - or even Whole Foods - and get some real bacon. It will kick the pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! of any beef product.

I have a good frined who is vegetarian. He eats no meat or seafood. He does eat bacon. He told me that when he decided to quit eating meat he ony did so after redefining bacon as a vegetable. For him, life was simply not worth living without bacon. There is no beef product that compares to bacon (not that crap that goes on sale at the local grocery store for $1.99 per pound. Go to a butcher shop - or even whole foods - and get some real bacon. It will kick the pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth! of any beef product.
    You are a good man, Allen, and as much as it hurts me to say this about a veggie, he is a good man too.

Bacon is Gods gift.

My father in law actually gave me eight pounds of gourmet bacon a Christmas ago. He is a good, dear man.