Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Just got home from the game. This Panthers team is absolutely getting better in nearly every aspect (and at the right time, too). I would have liked to seen them get a little more pressure on Cutler in the 1st half, but I can't really complain too much. The energy level of the crowd was really amped up as well. Smitty and Williams are on fire and Peppers is back on track.

Go Giants! And I say this as a Panthers fan. If the Giants beat the Cowboys tonight the Panthers are automatically in the Playoffs.

And then after tonight the Giants get run over by the Panthers.

I was also at the game last night. It was a lot of fun.

What amazes me about the Panthers right now is that they are 11-3, tied for the best record in the NFC (and the best record in team history thru 14 games), leading the division by two games, and playing next week for home field advantage and a first round bye. Despite all that, they could still miss the playoffs entirely. That's amazing.

Granted, all the Panthers have to do is win one of their last two games, or get at least one loss from Dallas, Atlanta, or Tampa Bay to get the wildcard and the odds of at least one of those happening are pretty high. Still, if the Panthers drop 2 in a row and Dallas, Atlanta, and Tampa Bay all win out, this 11-5 team could watch the playoffs from home.

One advantage of the Cowboys win last night is that if the Panthers can beat the Giants next Sunday, they would clinch the #1 seed and the Saints game in week 17 would be meaningless for the Panthers seeding. The Panthers starters would essentially have two weeks off before their first home playoff game. Lose vs. NY, and the Panthers may have to win vs. the Saints just to make the playoffs at all. Similarly, if the Giants win their week 17 game vs. Minnesota would be meaningless, whereas if they lose to the Panthers, the Minnesota game would help determine the other first round bye.

Beating the Giants in NY is a tall order, even if the Giants are sliding and the Panthers are peaking. But given how well their offense is clicking right now, I like our chances. Plus the Panthers have already played Minnesota

One team I want no part of in the playoffs is Pittsburgh. Glad we play in the NFC.
    "There can BE only one."

i don't really want to play the falcons OR the cowboys....

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    One team I want no part of in the playoffs is Pittsburgh. Glad we play in the NFC.
    The way both teams are playing, it would not surprise me to see them face each other in the Super Bowl. I think Carolina is the better team, with a better shot of making it all the way, but the Steelers have been incredibly scrappy, finding some amazing ways to win games. I wouldn't know who to root for if they meet, since I was raised a Steelers fan and have adopted the Panthers.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I for one would love to play the Cowboys in the playoffs...they own us in regular season but we've had their number at The Vault. Personally, I dont want to play the Falcons...I hate them and the prospect of losing to them and a rookie QB terrifies me.

The Cardiac Cats never make it easy on us, do they. Just when I thought that I could relax and chill out Brees catches fire. That FG miss by Kasay could have been huge. I think if we go far in the playoffs D. Williams has to at least be in the conversation of MVP.

Panthers won't go far...

I lived in Charlotte when they got the franchise - am now in DC - and was crestfallen when they announced the team's name (and colors!). They are obviously appealing to the faded-shade-of-blue crowd, which is quite numerous in Charlotte.

Anybody see the Meineke Bowl yesterday? For a relatively minor bowl, the early sell-out and enthusiasm was impressive. I was certainly conflicted on who to root for (A-C-C! A-C-C!) , but must admit the final outcome wasn't all bad... ;-)

Back to the Charlotte Panthers: I just don't think this team has it. Just can't see them going past the second round. But, alas, I need SOMEONE to root for now that my 'skins totally stunk up the joint this year. :-(

-BDBD

Panthers & Tarheel connection is silly

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    I lived in Charlotte when they got the franchise - am now in DC - and was crestfallen when they announced the team's name (and colors!). They are obviously appealing to the faded-shade-of-blue crowd, which is quite numerous in Charlotte.

Anybody see the Meineke Bowl yesterday? For a relatively minor bowl, the early sell-out and enthusiasm was impressive. I was certainly conflicted on who to root for (A-C-C! A-C-C!) , but must admit the final outcome wasn't all bad... ;-)

Back to the Charlotte Panthers: I just don't think this team has it. Just can't see them going past the second round. But, alas, I need SOMEONE to root for now that my 'skins totally stunk up the joint this year. :-(

-BDBD

I couldnt disagree with you more on the colors of the Panthers...their uniforms are black, silver and white...with just a small blue accent that is an electric blue, not Tar Heel blue. They didnt even come out with the blue alternate unis until about 5 years ago. And it's the CAROLINA Panthers, not Charlotte, in an effort to appeal to folks in S.Carolina...the logo is designed after the image of the two states together on a map. Also, the owner has zero connection to UNC, and thinking a pro sports owner would use the colors of a team to appeal to a fanbase of a college, especially when the colors arent even that close, just seems silly.

Anyway, don't mean to shoot you down but you are incorrect about this one.

As far as their chances, I dont see why we can't make a run. We took the defending champs to OT at their place (after a Kasay missed FG would have won the game for us.) We play in the hardest division in FB (no team has a losing record.) We are a veteran group that has core players that have been to the SB and the NFC Title game...Say what you will about Jake but he's one of the best in the 4th quarter when you need a score. We can run the ball...best duo yardage-wise in the NFL, and we have a huge OL that has been getting Jake good protection. We're also undefeated at home and the number two seed...a trip back to NY wouldnt make us too nervous.

What else do you need to be a contender? We haven't played the pass too well lately (I'm talking to you Ken Lucas) and our run D has been hurt by having Kemo out...other than that I still think we're one of the 4 best teams in the league and have been playing good ball as of late.

Also, what do you have against the team name 'Panthers?' Might not have too many connections to the area, but I don't recall too many Indian Tribes around the DC area. I'm not trying to be mean spirited or anything, but it just seems like you don't follow the team too much...and Panther Nation would love to have you on board for the playoffs.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I think we'll make it to the Championship game at least. It will be nice having a week off to rest and recuperate, was a little scary to see Peppers coming up limping yesterday, although he shook it off and went back in. I love our offense, very balanced on passing and running, and with 2 top RB's that opens up our options even more. I missed most of the 4th yesterday, so I can't judge why the Saints were able to get back in the game. Our defense has been sound, but something wasn't working at the end there and other teams will work on that weakness.
    As for the name, I'm pretty sure there are more panthers (albeit not black) running around the mountains of NC and SC than there are tigers in Cincinatti and lions in Detroit.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The Panthers have a thing for losing big leads. When Kasay missed the field goal, I told my wife it could be important.

The only surprising thing is that anyone would be surprised. I love the Panthers, but John Fox's style of football is kinda like going into the four corners too soon when we have a big lead. We have to be the easiest team in all of football to rally against.

But Kasay hit the winner, just like he usually does.

Im a huge Panthers fan, and this has been a great year to watch.

This is probaly the best team since 2003.

I think that they will make it to the super bowl, because of The offense. But the defense needs to do something differently in 2 weeks.

Should be a fun playoffs to watch

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    We have to be the easiest team in all of football to rally against.
    Which means if we make it the Super Bowl, we sure as hell don't want to face the Steelers.

What's up with these Panthers tonight? Not looking good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    What's up with these Panthers tonight? Not looking good at all.
    After the first drive for a TD, the CHARLOTTE Panthers have been stinking up the joint now down 20-7.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

and now another turnover.

9F 9F 9F

Ok, I've thought for years that we need to replace Jake. I decided I was wrong during this season, but if this is the playoff performance I'm gonna get from him I'm ready to draft a QB with our first pick, or trade for one. Really bad plays.

Of course, our defense isn't his fault. Thats another issue.

27-7. A very deep hole.

9F 9F 9F

Fans booing, I'd probably boo too. Those tickets probably weren't cheap.

I think they need to stick with the run for now though. Our backs have a tendency to break for long runs, and the passing game obviously isn't getting it done.

Did these guys just spend the last week reading their press instead of getting ready for the Cardinals?