Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GD2 (Great Depression 2) Tips - Let's Help Each Other

Thought I'd start a thread inspired by a friend of mine who wants to create a Web site on the same idea: People coming together to give others tips on how to save money and get through this GD2, which will likely last a while.

Some out here are really struggling to save money or break even.

What are some money saving tips (or other tips) you can provide that may seem obvious to you but may not be as obvious to others?

For example:

1) My friend told me about a site called "callingamerica.com" that let's you make any long distance calls for free.

Any other tips? Let's all chip in here and really make a difference!

-EJ

Okay...this goes against my interests as a shareholder, but don't buy the 20oz sodas(in the 20oz bottle) while at work. Well, buy one. Then refill it at home from a 2 liter that you bought at the grocery store on sale for the same price as the 20 oz at work. So, you get 3 fills(and a little left over)for the price of one.

This idea for saving money may seem obvious, but many people don't even think about it. Read the grocery newspaper inserts (or you can sign up for email delivery) with the specials for the week and plan your menus based on specials and what's in season. Another added benefit to buying produce while it's actually in season is that you vary your diet over the course of the year.

Question Obvious question

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Okay...this goes against my interests as a shareholder, but don't buy the 20oz sodas(in the 20oz bottle) while at work. Well, buy one. Then refill it at home from a 2 liter that you bought at the grocery store on sale for the same price as the 20 oz at work. So, you get 3 fills(and a little left over)for the price of one.
    You lose a bit of the carbonation, right?

A very little bit. You fill from the 2 liter the same day. Also, a little hard for me to tell, I drink Diet Mountain Dew almost exclusively and as long as it isn't completely flat, I'm good...

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    This idea for saving money may seem obvious, but many people don't even think about it. Read the grocery newspaper inserts (or you can sign up for email delivery) with the specials for the week and plan your menus based on specials and what's in season. Another added benefit to buying produce while it's actually in season is that you vary your diet over the course of the year.
    Along these lines, when I'm really poor, I plan meals for the week. I start with going through the kitchen to see what I have on hand, essentially "shopping" in my own pantry first. I then make a grocery list of what I don't have, then go through my coupons and grab what I need and take only those coupons to the store so that I'm not tempted to buy more than needed. I'm always amazed by how little I actually need to buy.

...as long as it isn't completely flat, I'm good...
    I sometimes say that about tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Awesome.

-EJ

Eat less. My breakfast consist of a bowl of cereal and a cup of OJ. My lunch is a Kashi bar and an apple. We all need to lose weight anyways.

Drink Yuengling. Its the good beer that's still cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Eat less. My breakfast consist of a bowl of cereal and a cup of OJ. My lunch is a Kashi bar and an apple. We all need to lose weight anyways.

Drink Yuengling. Its the good beer that's still cheap.
    PBR, PBR...while still in Durham The Independent(I think that is what it was called)rated it the best of the cheap beers. Or perhaps it has gone too mainstream? Hahahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I say that about beers...

Is cash still king? (speaking in 2009 financial terms?)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Thought I'd start a thread inspired by a friend of mine who wants to create a Web site on the same idea: People coming together to give others tips on how to save money and get through this GD2, which will likely last a while.

Some out here are really struggling to save money or break even.

What are some money saving tips (or other tips) you can provide that may seem obvious to you but may not be as obvious to others?

For example:

1) My friend told me about a site called "callingamerica.com" that let's you make any long distance calls for free.

Any other tips? Let's all chip in here and really make a difference!

-EJ
    I hate to say this, but Clark Howard will have a show like this on HLN.

Then again, that's been his shtick for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I hate to say this, but Clark Howard will have a show like this on HLN.

Then again, that's been his shtick for a while.

I have no shtick...does that mean I'm depressed?

I have no shtick...does that mean I'm depressed?
    No, just recessed...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    No, just recessed...

I miss recess...oh those precious minutes of running around on the playground.

I miss recess...oh those precious minutes of running around on the playground.
    I was referring to the economy...

I have two words. Two buck chuck.

Is that three words?
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I have two words. Two buck chuck.

Is that three words?

Yeah, now if you had said it $2 chuck, we could let it pass.

Yeah, now if you had said it $2 chuck, we could let it pass.
    Didn't someone say it's Three Buck Chuck now?