Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2008 Carolina Panthers thread

Rosario, the 2nd string TE, with the TD catch in the final play of the game. 25-24. At San Diego. Delhomme's pass was, if you will, Favrelicious.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Hmm I thought Favrelicious meant interception

Dammit, I could have gone to the game, but decided not to... we thought they'd show the game on tv but the 49ers were playing so only got to watch the replays. That must have been a hell of a drive:

1st-10, CAR32 2:21 J. Delhomme passed to D. Hackett to the left for 7 yard gain
    2nd-3, CAR39 2:15 J. Delhomme passed to M. Muhammad down the middle for 13 yard gain
    1st-10, SD48 2:00 J. Delhomme incomplete pass down the middle
    2nd-10, SD48 1:48 J. Delhomme passed to D. Hackett to the right for 3 yard gain
    3rd-7, SD45 1:24 J. Delhomme passed to D. Rosario down the middle for 11 yard gain
    1st-10, SD34 0:58 J. Delhomme incomplete pass to the left
    2nd-10, SD34 0:53 J. Delhomme passed to D. Jarrett to the right for 11 yard gain
    1st-10, SD23 0:31 J. Delhomme passed to N. Goings down the middle for 3 yard gain
    2nd-7, SD20 0:11 J. Delhomme incomplete pass to the left
    3rd-7, SD20 0:06 J. Delhomme passed to M. Muhammad to the right for 6 yard gain
    4th-1, SD14 0:00 J. Delhomme passed to D. Rosario down the middle for 14 yard touchdown. J. Kasay made PAT

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    That was awesome, I totally thought we screwed the pooch when we didn't call TO with 20 seconds left. It turned out to be the a hell of a decision. Delhomme even faked out the cameraman on that last throw, I thought it must have been blocked for a second when I didn't see the ball flying to anyone. Great win!

Yeah! He gave a full pump-fake, reloaded, and threw so quick with lots of velocity. Perfect throw, great catch. I, too, was hollering "Time out, time out.", at the 20 second mark.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I wasn't paying too much attention after the TD, but the recaps state that Kasay kicked the extra point after. I didn't even know they kicked it since it was a moot point, literally. Did the Chargers even line up to block it?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I wasn't paying too much attention after the TD, but the recaps state that Kasay kicked the extra point after. I didn't even know they kicked it since it was a moot point, literally. Did the Chargers even line up to block it?
    Yeah that *is* odd... I was wondering the same thing, too. Was there maybe ~1 second left in the game clock, and that was used up in the extra point kick?

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Yeah that *is* odd... I was wondering the same thing, too. Was there maybe ~1 second left in the game clock, and that was used up in the extra point kick?
    No. The PAT is an untimed play. I was confused about this at first and then--I think--I figured it out.

Under normal circumstances, the winning team with no time left doesn't kick the PAT, like in OT when you win by 6. BUT, in this game, the TD put Carolina up just one point. So conceivably, San Diego could win by blocking the PAT and running it all the way back, for a 26-25 win. That's why Carolina had to kick the PAT. Conceivably, the safest play would be for them not to kick the PAT, but for the holder to fall on the ball.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

No points for that in the NFL

While the NCAA awards 2 points to the defense for a blocked PAT attempt that is returned to the other endzone, the NFL does not.

"The defensive team never can score on a try. As soon as defense gets possession or the kick is blocked or a touchdown is not scored, the try is over. " --- from nfl.com (http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/try)

I could not find the reason a PAT attempt would be required. My only guess is that the PAT needs to be attempted for Points Scored / Points Allowed which is part of the NFL's Tie-Breaker Procedures at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue KevIL View Post
    While the NCAA awards 2 points to the defense for a blocked PAT attempt that is returned to the other endzone, the NFL does not.

"The defensive team never can score on a try. As soon as defense gets possession or the kick is blocked or a touchdown is not scored, the try is over. " --- from nfl.com (http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/try)

I could not find the reason a PAT attempt would be required. My only guess is that the PAT needs to be attempted for Points Scored / Points Allowed which is part of the NFL's Tie-Breaker Procedures at the end of the season.
    OK, good call.

But with that being the case, why doesn't the NFL kick OT PATs? They'd be just as "necessary" for PF/PA calculations.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Amazing game!!!! I felt like our boys DOMINATED the Chargers for most of the game, but as usual with the Panthers, the scoreboard didn't reflect it. I still feel like the Rivers' "past the LOS" call was bs, and should have been overturned, leading to a Chargers punt, instead of a TD on the very next play. Either way, the Chargers nearly snuck out with one yesterday, but I honestly feel like the better team won, at least the better team yesterday. I've got the game Tivoed and will be burning that to a DVD. Probably ranks just behind the St Louis double OT game (which I was at live in St Louis by chance) in terms of excitement for me. Wow what a finish, and Rosario is a star in the making. Jake actually has a solid TE to hit now, and we did all this without Steve! The running game is back too!! Man Im excited about this squad! We took down a serious contender for the AFC title in their house...wow, just wow.

Another come-from-behind victory today. What a penalty fest! Nice to see them pull it out, but watching them get a lead early and never surrender will be less stressful! Our rookies are looking good, and Peppers is looking like his old self again. I was worried it was just a pre-season thing, but he seems to the mobile and fast Julius of old.

Another come-from-behind victory today. What a penalty fest!
    Agreed, my eyes were starting to bleed after watching that first half!
    Nice to see them pull it out, but watching them get a lead early and never surrender will be less stressful! Our rookies are looking good, and Peppers is looking like his old self again. I was worried it was just a pre-season thing, but he seems to the mobile and fast Julius of old.
    Again I agree but, I don't know... Foxy just doesn't seem to like playing with a lead.

Interogative: If not for all of our penalties, would we have *dominated* "Da' Bears"?

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    Agreed, my eyes were starting to bleed after watching that first half! Again I agree but, I don't know... Foxy just doesn't seem to like playing with a lead.

Interogative: If not for all of our penalties, would we have *dominated* "Da' Bears"?
    I found myself asking the same question, about the domination part. And in all honesty the game should have been 3-0 at halftime, as Goings seemed to forget to block on that punt attempt. The funny thing is, I said to my dad when watching that stretch of the game, "Watch that false start by Otah come back to haunt us" (on 3rd and 2). That backed us up to 3rd and 7, failure to convert on the down, and then the botched punt as a result. Stupid false starts nearly killed us yesterday. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why we didn't hit them with more quick slants, given the way they crowded the line.

Either way, I'll take a close win over a close loss any day, so 2-0 and sitting atop the NFC South for now. Hopefully we can take it to the Vikes on Sunday, since we play better on the road anyways.

Is the game on tv in NC? It's blacked out here because the game wasn't sold out, and I can't even get it on pay-per-view. The Comcast lady I talked to said it's not on tv *anywhere*, and I was curious if it's also blacked out in NC.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Is the game on tv in NC? It's blacked out here because the game wasn't sold out, and I can't even get it on pay-per-view. The Comcast lady I talked to said it's not on tv *anywhere*, and I was curious if it's also blacked out in NC.
    It's on fox here in Myrtle Beach. The 1:00 game was blacked out here. It's hard to watch though, you're not missing much. Thank goodness they're playing the Raiders, or it would be at least 40-something to 14 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    It's on fox here in Myrtle Beach. The 1:00 game was blacked out here. It's hard to watch though, you're not missing much. Thank goodness they're playing the Raiders, or it would be at least 40-something to 14 right now.
    I'm listening to the game on KSFO and following it online; and you're right, it doesn't sound like I'm missing much. With 4 interceptions in 3 quarters, I would like to borrow Throaty's word and say Delhomme is having a hell of a Favrelicious game.

*edit*
    Passer rating of 12.3! Yikes!
    Last edited by hc5duke; 11-09-2008 at 07:19 PM.

What's up with these Panthers tonight? Not looking good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    What's up with these Panthers tonight? Not looking good at all.
    After the first drive for a TD, the CHARLOTTE Panthers have been stinking up the joint now down 20-7.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

and now another turnover.

9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Ballgame.