Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 81
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis

    2008 Carolina Panthers thread

    Rosario, the 2nd string TE, with the TD catch in the final play of the game. 25-24. At San Diego. Delhomme's pass was, if you will, Favrelicious.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ← Bay / Valley ↓
    Hmm I thought Favrelicious meant interception

    Dammit, I could have gone to the game, but decided not to... we thought they'd show the game on tv but the 49ers were playing so only got to watch the replays. That must have been a hell of a drive:

    1st-10, CAR32 2:21 J. Delhomme passed to D. Hackett to the left for 7 yard gain
    2nd-3, CAR39 2:15 J. Delhomme passed to M. Muhammad down the middle for 13 yard gain
    1st-10, SD48 2:00 J. Delhomme incomplete pass down the middle
    2nd-10, SD48 1:48 J. Delhomme passed to D. Hackett to the right for 3 yard gain
    3rd-7, SD45 1:24 J. Delhomme passed to D. Rosario down the middle for 11 yard gain
    1st-10, SD34 0:58 J. Delhomme incomplete pass to the left
    2nd-10, SD34 0:53 J. Delhomme passed to D. Jarrett to the right for 11 yard gain
    1st-10, SD23 0:31 J. Delhomme passed to N. Goings down the middle for 3 yard gain
    2nd-7, SD20 0:11 J. Delhomme incomplete pass to the left
    3rd-7, SD20 0:06 J. Delhomme passed to M. Muhammad to the right for 6 yard gain
    4th-1, SD14 0:00 J. Delhomme passed to D. Rosario down the middle for 14 yard touchdown. J. Kasay made PAT

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    That was awesome, I totally thought we screwed the pooch when we didn't call TO with 20 seconds left. It turned out to be the a hell of a decision. Delhomme even faked out the cameraman on that last throw, I thought it must have been blocked for a second when I didn't see the ball flying to anyone. Great win!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Yeah! He gave a full pump-fake, reloaded, and threw so quick with lots of velocity. Perfect throw, great catch. I, too, was hollering "Time out, time out.", at the 20 second mark.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I wasn't paying too much attention after the TD, but the recaps state that Kasay kicked the extra point after. I didn't even know they kicked it since it was a moot point, literally. Did the Chargers even line up to block it?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ← Bay / Valley ↓
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I wasn't paying too much attention after the TD, but the recaps state that Kasay kicked the extra point after. I didn't even know they kicked it since it was a moot point, literally. Did the Chargers even line up to block it?
    Yeah that *is* odd... I was wondering the same thing, too. Was there maybe ~1 second left in the game clock, and that was used up in the extra point kick?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Yeah that *is* odd... I was wondering the same thing, too. Was there maybe ~1 second left in the game clock, and that was used up in the extra point kick?
    No. The PAT is an untimed play. I was confused about this at first and then--I think--I figured it out.

    Under normal circumstances, the winning team with no time left doesn't kick the PAT, like in OT when you win by 6. BUT, in this game, the TD put Carolina up just one point. So conceivably, San Diego could win by blocking the PAT and running it all the way back, for a 26-25 win. That's why Carolina had to kick the PAT. Conceivably, the safest play would be for them not to kick the PAT, but for the holder to fall on the ball.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brookfield, IL

    No points for that in the NFL

    While the NCAA awards 2 points to the defense for a blocked PAT attempt that is returned to the other endzone, the NFL does not.

    "The defensive team never can score on a try. As soon as defense gets possession or the kick is blocked or a touchdown is not scored, the try is over. " --- from nfl.com (http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/try)

    I could not find the reason a PAT attempt would be required. My only guess is that the PAT needs to be attempted for Points Scored / Points Allowed which is part of the NFL's Tie-Breaker Procedures at the end of the season.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue KevIL View Post
    While the NCAA awards 2 points to the defense for a blocked PAT attempt that is returned to the other endzone, the NFL does not.

    "The defensive team never can score on a try. As soon as defense gets possession or the kick is blocked or a touchdown is not scored, the try is over. " --- from nfl.com (http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/try)

    I could not find the reason a PAT attempt would be required. My only guess is that the PAT needs to be attempted for Points Scored / Points Allowed which is part of the NFL's Tie-Breaker Procedures at the end of the season.
    OK, good call.

    But with that being the case, why doesn't the NFL kick OT PATs? They'd be just as "necessary" for PF/PA calculations.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Yadkinville NC
    Amazing game!!!! I felt like our boys DOMINATED the Chargers for most of the game, but as usual with the Panthers, the scoreboard didn't reflect it. I still feel like the Rivers' "past the LOS" call was bs, and should have been overturned, leading to a Chargers punt, instead of a TD on the very next play. Either way, the Chargers nearly snuck out with one yesterday, but I honestly feel like the better team won, at least the better team yesterday. I've got the game Tivoed and will be burning that to a DVD. Probably ranks just behind the St Louis double OT game (which I was at live in St Louis by chance) in terms of excitement for me. Wow what a finish, and Rosario is a star in the making. Jake actually has a solid TE to hit now, and we did all this without Steve! The running game is back too!! Man Im excited about this squad! We took down a serious contender for the AFC title in their house....wow, just wow.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Another come-from-behind victory today. What a penalty fest! Nice to see them pull it out, but watching them get a lead early and never surrender will be less stressful! Our rookies are looking good, and Peppers is looking like his old self again. I was worried it was just a pre-season thing, but he seems to the mobile and fast Julius of old.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wake Forest
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Another come-from-behind victory today. What a penalty fest!
    Agreed, my eyes were starting to bleed after watching that first half!
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Nice to see them pull it out, but watching them get a lead early and never surrender will be less stressful! Our rookies are looking good, and Peppers is looking like his old self again. I was worried it was just a pre-season thing, but he seems to the mobile and fast Julius of old.
    Again I agree but, I don't know... Foxy just doesn't seem to like playing with a lead.

    Interogative: If not for all of our penalties, would we have *dominated* "Da' Bears"?
    “Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."- Mark Twain

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Yadkinville NC
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    Agreed, my eyes were starting to bleed after watching that first half! Again I agree but, I don't know... Foxy just doesn't seem to like playing with a lead.

    Interogative: If not for all of our penalties, would we have *dominated* "Da' Bears"?
    I found myself asking the same question, about the domination part. And in all honesty the game should have been 3-0 at halftime, as Goings seemed to forget to block on that punt attempt. The funny thing is, I said to my dad when watching that stretch of the game, "Watch that false start by Otah come back to haunt us" (on 3rd and 2). That backed us up to 3rd and 7, failure to convert on the down, and then the botched punt as a result. Stupid false starts nearly killed us yesterday. I couldn't figure out for the life of me why we didn't hit them with more quick slants, given the way they crowded the line.

    Either way, I'll take a close win over a close loss any day, so 2-0 and sitting atop the NFC South for now. Hopefully we can take it to the Vikes on Sunday, since we play better on the road anyways.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ← Bay / Valley ↓
    Is the game on tv in NC? It's blacked out here because the game wasn't sold out, and I can't even get it on pay-per-view. The Comcast lady I talked to said it's not on tv *anywhere*, and I was curious if it's also blacked out in NC.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Is the game on tv in NC? It's blacked out here because the game wasn't sold out, and I can't even get it on pay-per-view. The Comcast lady I talked to said it's not on tv *anywhere*, and I was curious if it's also blacked out in NC.
    It's on fox here in Myrtle Beach. The 1:00 game was blacked out here. It's hard to watch though, you're not missing much. Thank goodness they're playing the Raiders, or it would be at least 40-something to 14 right now.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ← Bay / Valley ↓
    Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    It's on fox here in Myrtle Beach. The 1:00 game was blacked out here. It's hard to watch though, you're not missing much. Thank goodness they're playing the Raiders, or it would be at least 40-something to 14 right now.
    I'm listening to the game on KSFO and following it online; and you're right, it doesn't sound like I'm missing much. With 4 interceptions in 3 quarters, I would like to borrow Throaty's word and say Delhomme is having a hell of a Favrelicious game.

    *edit*
    Passer rating of 12.3! Yikes!
    Last edited by hc5duke; 11-09-2008 at 07:19 PM.

  17. #17

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    I'm listening to the game on KSFO and following it online; and you're right, it doesn't sound like I'm missing much. With 4 interceptions in 3 quarters, I would like to borrow Throaty's word and say Delhomme is having a hell of a Favrelicious game.

    *edit*
    Passer rating of 12.3! Yikes!
    Yeah it wasn't his best performance, that's for sure. One of the announcers said "Jake is a good, good, good quarterback. But he's never been great at completing passes." Haha, not sure how much sense that makes? The passes that were incomplete...most of them weren't even CLOSE to a receiver. Let's hope he straightens out and fixes whatever the issue is before next sunday.

    But a win is a win, still sitting pretty in first place.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dukegirlinsc View Post
    Yeah it wasn't his best performance, that's for sure. One of the announcers said "Jake is a good, good, good quarterback. But he's never been great at completing passes."
    I heard that same quote, thought it was pretty asinine. I didn't watch all of the game, flipping back and forth between it and the Steelers, but to Jake's credit the one int. that I saw was a pass the reciever flubbed up into the air and wound up in the Raiders' hands. But a win is a win, especially a solid one against a team at their house. The Panther's have done much better than I expected, and alot of it is to Delhomme's credit.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I heard that same quote, thought it was pretty asinine. I didn't watch all of the game, flipping back and forth between it and the Steelers, but to Jake's credit the one int. that I saw was a pass the reciever flubbed up into the air and wound up in the Raiders' hands. But a win is a win, especially a solid one against a team at their house. The Panther's have done much better than I expected, and alot of it is to Delhomme's credit.
    Agreed. It's really his first "bad" game of the season, I'm glad to see he's recovered well from surgery, it's seemed to help him a ton. I wouldn't exactly call a win against the Raiders "solid" though. But I'll take it, for sure!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    The Panthers are playing some of the best football I've seen from any team in a long time. Their running game is absolutely insane, and what's even better is it's getting better. Steve Smith was the man before the season, but Deangelo Williams is an amazing WHO?! Next weekend's game got moved to the 8pm slot for the showdown that decides the shape of the playoffs. If they keep playing like they have (Offense AND Defense) the last few games, the home field advantage is their's for the taking.
    P.S. I hate to blow smoke up a Hole's butt, but we wouldn't be the team we are this year without the renewed energy of Julius Peppers. He's not only returned to his old self but become a much needed leader to boot.
    Mmmm, BBQ!

Similar Threads

  1. Carolina Panthers
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2008, 09:50 PM
  2. 2008 Olympics Thread
    By DevilAlumna in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-09-2008, 12:35 PM
  3. 2008 NBA Playoffs Thread
    By wolfpackdevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 07:43 PM
  4. Game2- Carolina-Kansas Thread
    By BlueintheFace in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 281
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 05:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •