Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Schadenfreude

I feel relief when UNC loses, not joy.

Although, arguably it's relief not joy when Duke wins, too.

I'd far rather see us win than you lose though.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Drebly1 View Post
    Agreed on the title...

My question after this debacle: Is it more enjoyable to see your team win, or to see the rival lose? As a Carolina fan/alumnus, I say that it's better to see Duke lose than Carolina win. Why? I expect both teams to win every game, so when Duke loses I am euphoric. That is the reality. Some of my UNC brethren say that I am a poor sport for feeling this way, but I disagree with their opinions often. Looking for some honest feedback here, not the obvious taunting...

Regardless, looking forward to 2007/2008. I hope the Duke v UNC clashes are as legendary as usual.

(Moderators - please note that this is not inflammatory, hostile, rude, derogatory, or otherwise offensive)
    If you post like this from now on, you should have no problems here. Nice, interesting, intelligent post. You can offer something to the community (a stark contrast to the way you started here).

Anyway, to answer your question, I prefer a Duke win. That said, I understand the feeling you're describing. When your team wins, it is a relief. And it's hard to get giddy, because you are already worried about the next game. So, I understand your feeling of euphoria after a Duke loss compared to a UNC win. That said, I'm not a hater. And while I root against UNC, I root harder for Duke to win.

First smile in a while. Friend who is a UNC fan called me during the game and started talking about matchup with Oden and OSU. Way to count your chickens! HaaaaHaaaaa!

Talking

Drebly, I actually cheer to UNC-CH out of conference during the regular season. I take no great joy from their losses as that would hurt all ACC teams and some of the joy of the rivalry. In the ACC and during tournament time, I do take some relief in seeing UNC-CH lose, but I love to see Duke win a lot more.

Drebly and others on board, which do you prefer?

(1) Duke and Carolina win the NCAA championship in the next two years.

(2) Neither wins the NCAA championship in the next two years.

I personally prefer option 1, thus I suppose I take more joy from our winning than their losing. What about you?

That's a good thought experiment to frame the issue, NYC.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

The Hater Came out today

Like Jumbo, I tend to really get more out of Duke wins than say a unc loss. Especially this year, I enjoyed watching this carolina team play. I wished we played their style more, or at least had that talent.

All that said, what a joy to watch them lose today. I've been sick all week but feel so much better relishing in unc's pain!!!

I'm sick, I know!

jeez, how do reporters come up with these questions?

"coach, could you compare the joy you felt winning the championship two years ago to the disappointment you're feeling now?"

umm, one is joy, one is disappointment. they're pretty much the opposite of each other. one feels great, the other sucks.

hey, did no one tell curalonna there was an overtime?

Carolina pulls a Rick Fox

I was going to suggest that UNC pulled a "Rick Fox" (1992 Final Four semi-final vs. Kansas where he went 5 of 22 helping Kansas advance to the title game), but that would be an insult to Mr. Fox. I have Carolina (unofficially) making only 3 of their last 25 shots today.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Dukie View Post
    Drebly, I actually cheer to UNC-CH out of conference during the regular season. I take no great joy from their losses as that would hurt all ACC teams and some of the joy of the rivalry. In the ACC and during tournament time, I do take some relief in seeing UNC-CH lose, but I love to see Duke win a lot more.

I personally prefer option 1, thus I suppose I take more joy from our winning than their losing. What about you?
    yeah, I prefer option 1. there are some teams I hate *so much* that I really take joy in their losing (see: 2005-06 uconn), but generally duke winning is the primary concern.

Quote Originally Posted by glutton View Post
    jeez, how do reporters come up with these questions?

"coach, could you compare the joy you felt winning the championship two years ago to the disappointment you're feeling now?"

umm, one is joy, one is disappointment. they're pretty much the opposite of each other. one feels great, the other sucks.
    I actually laughed when I heard the question, but it was a good question in terms of what was being sought; I think the question was not intended to get any sort of analytical response but was intended to get Roy to cry, which it almost did.

While Roy did not cry, we did get Roy's feisty response about fans wanting to see him cry after losses but not being tough enough to say it to his face. So in terms of looking for a sound bite that questioner got what he was looking for.

we kinda get the best of both worlds on this one though if you think about it...we were able to cheer when Duke BEAT THE LIVING HELL (that was an exageration) out of gtown, and also able to cheer when gtown BEAT THE LIVING HELL out of unc. It worked out.

....you can't leave Mike Tissaw off this team. Hey UNC it's Butch Davis time!

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

OK, I'll bite

Drebly, it is always better to see Duke win, always. I'm told this is one of the many reasons we Duke fans garner so much hatred.

(But I did pick Georgetown to the Final Four in my pool!)
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 03-25-2007 at 09:52 PM. Reason: ETA: 9F, for good measure, lest I be labelled a sympathizer

I realize that what I'm feeling now seems to be higher on the excitement/joy scale than it actually is, given my emotional state of 24 hours ago; but I haven't FELT like things were this good since I was in the Georgia Dome in March of '04. Not proud of that, but it's true.

Just for the sake of expanding the argument

It's pleasant enough to see Carolina fall apart at the end of the game, but it reminds me of how many times our guys did the same this year, losing by one or two points, often in overtime, after having a lead late in the game. A really sucky way to lose a game.

Also, it doesn't give me any joy to realize how poorly the ACC did overall in this tournament. We were supposed to be the dominant conference in the country. This tournament was a debacle for the ACC, which isn't going to help recruitment a bit.

Ah well, next year things will no doubt be different. Or at least I hope so.

Lastly, I'm sure no fan of Georgetown. Our victory over them this year didn't begin to make up for the pain of losing to them last year. I will NOT be rooting for them next weekend.

Tyler can keep his beauty appointment

From the N&O:

"Hansbrough seemed almost possessed, looking much more like the beast his teammates call 'Psycho T' for his practice mania than the big guy who's partial to pedicures."

After the Shav-and-his-steak ridicule, this would appear to be fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    1) Also, it doesn't give me any joy to realize how poorly the ACC did overall in this tournament. We were supposed to be the dominant conference in the country. This tournament was a debacle for the ACC, which isn't going to help recruitment a bit.

2) Lastly, I'm sure no fan of Georgetown. Our victory over them this year didn't begin to make up for the pain of losing to them last year. I will NOT be rooting for them next weekend.
    1) 7-7. Yuck.

2) Me too. I still don't like them for their teams of 20-25 years ago, frankly.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Dukie View Post

I like option 1 but would prefer that:
    1. Duke wins before Carolina.
    2. Duke beats Carolina enroute to the championship.
    3. Carolina doesn't meet Duke enroute to its championship.
    4. There's a mass exodus from Carolina after their loss to Duke in say the
    National championship game.
    5. There's another mass exodus from Carolina after their championship.
    6. Duke doesn't suffer any significant exodus and rips through
    Carolina during year # 3 (4-0) enroute to its next championship.

I can agree to that Madras