Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schadenfreude

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude

Woohoo!!!!!!

Finally something goes right!!!! Analyze in other thread. Celebrate here!!!

Talking Haven't seen UNC choke that bad in a long time...

They had this game won! 7-9 pt lead most of the half and then...CHOKE! I LOVE IT!!!

wow......what a game by that kid green how good is he i feel almost as happy as i do after a duke win...........sorry about spelling and grammer ...i am not a duke grad

cry hansbaby cry!!

I Love It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Green is the real deal

way to go hoyas! one thing left to do - knock out the gators. i don't want to see noah screaming any more. but i would like a horford clone to play for us.

Noah

I think that guy has more screams per game than points!! It drives me crazy.

First post in the new forum

Because not only am I a lifelong duke fan, I am also a GU grad. Hoya Saxa! Life is good.

No Baby Blue in Atlanta...

... which means I can go to work all this week without seeing their fans, and hearing about them on local radio.

Where do we buy G'town gear for the Caro-whine-a game next year?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Mu-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

Agreed on the title...

My question after this debacle: Is it more enjoyable to see your team win, or to see the rival lose? As a Carolina fan/alumnus, I say that it's better to see Duke lose than Carolina win. Why? I expect both teams to win every game, so when Duke loses I am euphoric. That is the reality. Some of my UNC brethren say that I am a poor sport for feeling this way, but I disagree with their opinions often. Looking for some honest feedback here, not the obvious taunting...

Regardless, looking forward to 2007/2008. I hope the Duke v UNC clashes are as legendary as usual.

(Moderators - please note that this is not inflammatory, hostile, rude, derogatory, or otherwise offensive)

I feel relief when UNC loses, not joy.

Although, arguably it's relief not joy when Duke wins, too.

I'd far rather see us win than you lose though.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Drebly1 View Post
    Agreed on the title...

My question after this debacle: Is it more enjoyable to see your team win, or to see the rival lose? As a Carolina fan/alumnus, I say that it's better to see Duke lose than Carolina win. Why? I expect both teams to win every game, so when Duke loses I am euphoric. That is the reality. Some of my UNC brethren say that I am a poor sport for feeling this way, but I disagree with their opinions often. Looking for some honest feedback here, not the obvious taunting...

Regardless, looking forward to 2007/2008. I hope the Duke v UNC clashes are as legendary as usual.

(Moderators - please note that this is not inflammatory, hostile, rude, derogatory, or otherwise offensive)
    If you post like this from now on, you should have no problems here. Nice, interesting, intelligent post. You can offer something to the community (a stark contrast to the way you started here).

Anyway, to answer your question, I prefer a Duke win. That said, I understand the feeling you're describing. When your team wins, it is a relief. And it's hard to get giddy, because you are already worried about the next game. So, I understand your feeling of euphoria after a Duke loss compared to a UNC win. That said, I'm not a hater. And while I root against UNC, I root harder for Duke to win.

Talking

Drebly, I actually cheer to UNC-CH out of conference during the regular season. I take no great joy from their losses as that would hurt all ACC teams and some of the joy of the rivalry. In the ACC and during tournament time, I do take some relief in seeing UNC-CH lose, but I love to see Duke win a lot more.

Drebly and others on board, which do you prefer?

(1) Duke and Carolina win the NCAA championship in the next two years.

(2) Neither wins the NCAA championship in the next two years.

I personally prefer option 1, thus I suppose I take more joy from our winning than their losing. What about you?

That's a good thought experiment to frame the issue, NYC.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

The Hater Came out today

Like Jumbo, I tend to really get more out of Duke wins than say a unc loss. Especially this year, I enjoyed watching this carolina team play. I wished we played their style more, or at least had that talent.

All that said, what a joy to watch them lose today. I've been sick all week but feel so much better relishing in unc's pain!!!

I'm sick, I know!

hey, did no one tell curalonna there was an overtime?

Carolina pulls a Rick Fox

I was going to suggest that UNC pulled a "Rick Fox" (1992 Final Four semi-final vs. Kansas where he went 5 of 22 helping Kansas advance to the title game), but that would be an insult to Mr. Fox. I have Carolina (unofficially) making only 3 of their last 25 shots today.

jeez, how do reporters come up with these questions?

"coach, could you compare the joy you felt winning the championship two years ago to the disappointment you're feeling now?"

umm, one is joy, one is disappointment. they're pretty much the opposite of each other. one feels great, the other sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by glutton View Post
    jeez, how do reporters come up with these questions?

"coach, could you compare the joy you felt winning the championship two years ago to the disappointment you're feeling now?"

umm, one is joy, one is disappointment. they're pretty much the opposite of each other. one feels great, the other sucks.
    I actually laughed when I heard the question, but it was a good question in terms of what was being sought; I think the question was not intended to get any sort of analytical response but was intended to get Roy to cry, which it almost did.

While Roy did not cry, we did get Roy's feisty response about fans wanting to see him cry after losses but not being tough enough to say it to his face. So in terms of looking for a sound bite that questioner got what he was looking for.