View Poll Results: On Public Laundry Room Etiquette

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wait it out.

2 13.33%
  • Wait it out 30 minutes, then take out the clothes.

5 33.33%
  • Take out the clothes immediately, lay them gently on the table.

5 33.33%
  • Take out the clothes, douse with gasoline and start a fire (or stuff into chimney starter).

1 6.67%
  • Other.

2 13.33%

On Public Laundry Room Etiquette

One thing that irks me royally is when people leave their dang laundry in the dryer too long. I can almost tolerate when they leave it in the washer too long, because at this point I'm just waiting in line to get the process started. When it comes to the dryer, I have to let my wet clothes sit around for who knows how long.

For some reason, I can't get the nerve to to take out their clothes and lay them on the table. I could maybe remove their clothes if they left a laundry basket but no such joy. What would you do?

Other - Wait it out 15 minutes then gently remove the clothes.

If you have to wait 30 minutes or longer, then set the clothes on fire; or remove them, get undressed, and begin dressing in their clothes.

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Other - Wait it out 15 minutes then gently remove the clothes.

If you have to wait 30 minutes or longer, then set the clothes on fire; or remove them, get undressed, and begin dressing in their clothes.

-EJ
    Sweet advice! There was a sheet in the dryer as well. Perhaps I shall fashion a superhero outfit out of the sheet and clothes.

I'm close to EJ on this one. I'm willing to give people 15-20 minutes but no more. Everyone in my building knows how long the cycle is, so if you're lazy it's your own damn fault. Why wouldn't you want to get your clothes out as soon as possible, anyway?

I would suggest not only gently placing the clothes on the table, but folding them, too.

My method is to wait 10-15 minutes, and then remove the clothes by placing it on another washer/dryer, table, or clean spot. People know when it's crowded and should be considerate of others. At Duke, this is what I did, and I expected people to remove my clothes if I left them in too long, and wouldn't be upset because it's my own fault. I was only yelled at once at Duke for doing this. In this case, I waited 45 minutes (well above my typical time) for the only two available washers and removed the clothes since I really needed to get them clean. When my load finished washing, I then was putting my clothes in the dryer, the other person arrived and snarkily asked "Do you know who removed these clothes?!" I was like, "Yes, I did." Reply: "Don't remove my clothes puhleeeeze!!!" Me: "Well, I waited over 45 minutes and needed to use it. You shouldn't leave them in that long. Anyways, sorry..." I shouldn't have apologized (or should have lied) but decided it wasn't worth getting in a fight.

Edit: Oops, see people above also mentioning 15 minutes! I started typing this and then got distracted...so took me a while to finish. Also, I selected wait 30 minutes, when I should have chosen "other"...oh well!

Does anyone know where I can get one of those time-release, exploding dye bombs that banks put into stolen satchels of money?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    I would suggest not only gently placing the clothes on the table, but folding them, too.
    At first thought, I almost didn't like this suggestion but I gave it a few minutes and then realized this is great. Not only are you freeing up the dryer, but you're also slyly disguising your extreme distaste for their laziness with a good, neighborly gesture. I can just imagine the guilt and shame they'll fee when they see their nicely folded laundry, stacked in order from large to small, arranged by angle of hue on the table in the laundry room.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Sweet advice! There was a sheet in the dryer as well. Perhaps I shall fashion a superhero outfit out of the sheet and clothes.
    Cool. But if you choose to wear a sheet, especially a white one, be very careful about how you present it! Sheet wearers tend to be very polarizing figures! (Jesus, Ghandi, Osama, bigots of a certain group I can't even bring myself to type, etc.)

-EarlJam

Cool. But if you choose to wear a sheet, especially a white one, be very careful about how you present it! Sheet wearers tend to be very polarizing figures! (Jesus, Ghandi, Osama, bigots of a certain group I can't even bring myself to type, etc.)

-EarlJam
    Definitely not a white sheet. The floral pattern looks sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    At first thought, I almost didn't like this suggestion but I gave it a few minutes and then realized this is great. Not only are you freeing up the dryer, but you're also slyly disguising your extreme distaste for their laziness with a good, neighborly gesture. I can just imagine the guilt and shame they'll fee when they see their nicely folded laundry, stacked in order from large to small, arranged by angle of hue on the table in the laundry room.
    Exactly! And the offender is likely to come in and see you doing his or her chore, and then he or she will feel obligated to do something nice for you in return. Or at least be embarrassed every time you run into each other in the laundry room or building lobby.

Exactly! And the offender is likely to come in and see you doing his or her chore, and then he or she will feel obligated to do something nice for you in return. Or at least be embarrassed every time you run into each other in the laundry room or building lobby.
    Or maybe they'll learn to time their laundry so they always do it right before you need to use it. Free laundry folding service!

I'm with CathyCA on this. They can't get mad at you if you have folded their clothes. If you fold the same person's clothes more than once, they owe you dinner! Besides, nothing gets you closer to the new good looking, single neighbor in the building than folding their underwear.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Or maybe they'll learn to time their laundry so they always do it right before you need to use it. Free laundry folding service!
    See This

My last roommate (who recently moved out) once left my laundry on the floor because I didn't get home in time on Friday night to take it out. That wasn't cool.
    Of course, I probably shouldn't get too indignant about her expecting me to come home on Friday night and fold my laundry, considering the amount of time I've spent on the boards tonight...

I picked take it out immediately, but I would likely wait 10-15 minutes like others have said. I have mixed feelings about folding the laundry. It's a mix between being nice and being creepy... kind of weird to have a stranger handling your laundry that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by BluDevilGal View Post
    I picked take it out immediately, but I would likely wait 10-15 minutes like others have said. I have mixed feelings about folding the laundry. It's a mix between being nice and being creepy... kind of weird to have a stranger handling your laundry that closely.
    Zackly! I think it's really weird to handle other people's laundry, but maybe that creep factor would motivate them to get their laundry in a timely fashion. I know if I found my skivies folded by another person I would darn sure pay attention to the time.

-EarlJam
    Toga! Toga! Toga!

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Toga! Toga! Toga!
    Good one! Belushi Rocked.

"I gave my love a storyyyyyyyyyyy, that had no end! I ga...#$#%!%!..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9JYq-mXprw

-EarlJam