Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: captains named

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Heh. The "explanation" for there being tri-captains might be a bit simpler than what I'm reading. I like any of these:

(1) As the sole captain last season, Demarcus performed great for most of the season but then became worn down, leading to a downturn in his production at the end. Coach K felt that Demarcus took on too many burdens as captain and "cared too much" as the leader, and so this season, he wants the duties of captaincy to be shared by 3 deserving players instead of just 1. This will help with the "fun" factor.

(2) Coach K just finished coaching a successful team in which several players -- Bryant, James, Kidd, Wade -- had a hand in leading, each in his own way.

(3) Paulus, Henderson, and Scheyer were all clearly going to be leaders on this team anyway due to their experience and status. This announcement of tri-captains just makes things official for the fans but Greg, Jon, and Gerald were already acting the part, anyway.
    Those are good ones too. haha. I just thought I'd go with what I felt to be the most cynical view possible and the most bare-bones logical view possible..

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Now exactly why would he resent sharing a title with Jon and Gerald (esp. since one reason is to make Gerald more assertive)?
    This was answered in the part of the post that you cut out.

Because last year, with Greg as a returning captain, Coach K says "We're gonna do away with all of this multiple captain business", then when it's Greg's senior year, Coach K says "We're gonna have multiple captains". It has nothing to do with Jon and Gerald.

This was the first thing that popped into my head when I heard "tri-captains". It's pretty suprising after hearing what we all heard last year. Alot of people posted that they were suprised at the move. This is the only reason I can think of that it is suprising.

This topic was discussed earlier in the year (maybe someone can locate the thread). Not gloating, but i want to point out that i specified that there would be 3 captains this year including Jon Scheyer. i outlined my case in detail. i took a lot of heat about Jon, quite a few claiming NO WAY. Not a single person agreed with me that Jon would be a captain. i made a point of saying i was going on record right there and that we would just have to agree to disagree and see what happens. i recall there was no agreement even to that. So, if anyone can find my post, please post it somewhere on this thread if you will and maybe we can see if at least my reasoning was reasonable.

Cheers, and lets get this season underway.

GTHC
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

not gloating?

Gosh, I'd hate to see what your idea of gloating is.

Just kidding about the "gloating".

i found the post (after a good 3 hours sleep). i've copied it (below):

"Captain means leadership and communication. Paulus will certainly be a captain. I believe there will be a second captain and that will be Jon Scheyer. Not only has he already demonstrated those qualities, but has shown leadership on the court in four other important ways.

1) He has intensity and hates to lose.
    2) He has a superior knowledge of the game, intimately understanding how all positions fit into the scheme (and has functioned in each capacity when in high school). K loves this, its his trademark; especially when it comes to playing the point.
    3) He has not only shown a willingness to take charge, but when to do so.
    4) He doesn't have an ego problem, which the players picked up on when he ran the team during periods when Paulus was injured and/or struggling. He has their respect. This is also reflected in that he accepts the fact that he will sometimes start and sometimes lead the second team.

Further, when Paulus is not on the floor, all of the above enables us to perform without a dropoff in leadership or quality of play. When Nolan Smith is in for Paulus, the two of them together present multiple entry angles, which properly executed should lead to easier baskets.

If Scheyer plays up to his abilities, as a second captain he will make us better as a team, and really, that is the bottom line. That's my case.

K could add McClure as a third captain later in the year. That would be mainly for attitude and enthusiasm, which at key times can play an important role. And if K did indicate to McClure that he would be a captain as a senior, K will be true to his word, but this would likely be later in the year after rotations and chemistry are functioning smoothly."
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

McClure should have been named. Senior leadership and he would have lived up to the honor and responsibility, imo. Shame they would Snub him.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by madscavenger View Post

"Captain means leadership and communication. Paulus will certainly be a captain. I believe there will be a second captain and that will be Jon Scheyer. Not only has he already demonstrated those qualities, but has shown leadership on the court in four other important ways.

2) He has a superior knowledge of the game, intimately understanding how all positions fit into the scheme (and has functioned in each capacity when in high school). K loves this, its his trademark; especially when it comes to playing the point.
    4) He doesn't have an ego problem, which the players picked up on when he ran the team during periods when Paulus was injured and/or struggling. He has their respect. This is also reflected in that he accepts the fact that he will sometimes start and sometimes lead the second team.

Further, when Paulus is not on the floor, all of the above enables us to perform without a dropoff in leadership or quality of play. When Nolan Smith is in for Paulus, the two of them together present multiple entry angles, which properly executed should lead to easier baskets.

If Scheyer plays up to his abilities, as a second captain he will make us better as a team, and really, that is the bottom line. That's my case.

K could add McClure as a third captain later in the year. That would be mainly for attitude and enthusiasm, which at key times can play an important role. And if K did indicate to McClure that he would be a captain as a senior, K will be true to his word, but this would likely be later in the year after rotations and chemistry are functioning smoothly."
    I remember this post. I did not actively agree or disagree at the time. I do recall that not many agreed with you.

You do deserve a little gloating. Well done and bravo, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    McClure should have been named. Senior leadership and he would have lived up to the honor and responsibility, imo. Shame they would Snub him.
    Couple problems with this analysis:

1. Just because you are a senior, doesn't mean you are a leader.

2. While being named a captain is an honor, the point of naming someone captain is not to honor them. The point is to designate someone (or several someones) who will have leadership responsibility.

3. You might wish McClure had been named a captain, perhaps becuase you respect his play, but, unless you have access to the team, you really don't know if the failure to name him a captain was a "snub."
    "Just like you man. I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase." Omar Little

Not a single person agreed with me that Jon would be a captain.
    The gloating is charming, but incorrect. I don't remember your thread and don't remember whether I posted in it, but I've been saying Scheyer would be a captain as a junior for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    What on earth do you know about Dave McClure's roll on the team? Do you know if he's a leader? Do you know if he even wants to be captain? Try to base your posts on knowledge if you're going to write something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    The gloating is charming, but incorrect. I don't remember your thread and don't remember whether I posted in it, but I've been saying Scheyer would be a captain as a junior for some time.
    There's a rule that you can gloat only if you're the only person to say something?

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    There's a rule that you can gloat only if you're the only person to say something?
    He incorrectly said he was the only one who thought Scheyer would be captain.

That's an excellent post and sums up a lot of the feelings I've had for a while, too.

Captains

He incorrectly said he was the only one who thought Scheyer would be captain.
    Jumbo has long been a Jon Scheyer fan and I know from his posts that he thought Jon would be a captain this coming year. I agree with all 3 guys as Captains and don't have a problem with MCClure not being named. I don't get to watch the team practice. If Coach K did not name him believe me there was good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Jumbo has long been a Jon Scheyer fan and I know from his posts that he thought Jon would be a captain this coming year. I agree with all 3 guys as Captains and don't have a problem with MCClure not being named. I don't get to watch the team practice. If Coach K did not name him believe me there was good reason.
    Plus, adding McClure would mean having 4 captains. Goodness, do football teams have that many captains?

I'm not that big a fan of multiple or co-captains. I think you name one person and go from there, because it generates accountability. But in reality, the true leader(s) of the team will emerge through what actually happens throughout the season, and everyone involved will know who they are. So long as such leaders emerge and are effective, the identities of the official leaders will become irrelevant to the team's success.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    The choice of captains just solidified what most reasonable posters on this board have said all summer. The starters will undoubtedly be PAULUS, SCHEYER, HENDERSON, SINGLER, and ZOUBEK/THOMAS (tbd).
    yes that seems to be the consensus and i think the consensus is also that nolan will play 20+mpg as well.

The speculation in this thread is understandable, but a little bit silly, when you think about it. None of us knows the dynamic of the team. None of us knows what went on when the season ended, and who stepped up, took charge through the summer, etc.
    yes and no. i would say none of us know the team as well as k does. but there are several people on this board who know the players and are friends with some of them and may know a thing or two. some things are more public than others.

my junior year (a few years back) i became friends with a member of team and learned of a, shall i say, particular dynamic between him and a member of the staff. i never heard or saw mention of this online or elsewhere. a couple years later, the dynamic between josh and greg was much more publicly known on campus.

that being said the vast majority of us (myself included as an alum now) do not really have any idea of the internal dynamics of the team. i just wouldnt use the superlative "none"

Isn't a designated captain the only player on the court allowed to engage in a discussion with a referree? I think Greg will be on the court a lot, but if true, I'm sure some will make deductions as to what this means for Greg's pt.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    yes and no. i would say none of us know the team as well as k does. but there are several people on this board who know the players and are friends with some of them and may know a thing or two. some things are more public than others.

my junior year (a few years back) i became friends with a member of team and learned of a, shall i say, particular dynamic between him and a member of the staff. i never heard or saw mention of this online or elsewhere. a couple years later, the dynamic between josh and greg was much more publicly known on campus.

that being said the vast majority of us (myself included as an alum now) do not really have any idea of the internal dynamics of the team. i just wouldnt use the superlative "none"
    I was trying to be delicate. Since you're not picking up on that, I'll try to be clear this time: No one who has commented in this thread has a firm grasp of the dynamic of this given team. Of that, I am certain.

Dave deserves to be a captain, imho. I guess he should have stayed on campus this summer. I really like the Scheyer/Henderson pick and I admire how hard Paulus plays ON the court.

I was trying to be delicate. Since you're not picking up on that, I'll try to be clear this time: No one who has commented in this thread has a firm grasp of the dynamic of this given team. Of that, I am certain.
    Ha. you? delicate? I dont see how the above statement is any more or less delicate than the below...the only difference is you limit your grouping to this thread in the above as opposed to potentially referring to the whole board below (perhaps a false interpretation on my part). Since you know the posters better than I, I will take your word that no one in this thread knows the players/dynamics, etc.

But I know for a fact that there are people who post on the board that do in fact know members of the team quite well and are privy to information regarding some of the dynamics between the players etc.

The speculation in this thread is understandable, but a little bit silly, when you think about it. None of us knows the dynamic of the team. None of us knows what went on when the season ended, and who stepped up, took charge through the summer, etc.