Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: captains named

captains named

Paulus, Henderson & Scheyer Named Captains For 2008-09 Season

DURHAM, N.C. — Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced that senior Greg Paulus along with juniors Gerald Henderson and Jon Scheyer were named team captain for the 2008-09 season. Paulus was also a team captain in 2006-07, while Henderson and Scheyer are first time captains.

“We are excited to have these three men as our team captains,” said Krzyzewski. “They have each grown into outstanding leaders on and off the court and we are looking forward to watching their growth continue. The leadership skills of Greg, Gerald and Jon will provide a great foundation to build on for our team.”

Paulus has played in 103 career games entering the season and boasts career averages of 9.9 points, 2.4 rebounds, 4.1 assists and 1.4 steals per game. He is also shooting 41.5 percent (173-of-417) from three-point range to rank 12th in the ACC record books (fourth at Duke).

Henderson is averaging 9.9 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 66 career games. He is coming off a breakthrough sophomore campaign in which averaged 12.7 points and 4.7 rebounds, while leading the team in dunks (45) and blocked shots (31).

Scheyer enters his third season at Duke 201 points shy of becoming the 57th 1,000-point scorer in Blue Devil history. He is averaging 11.9 points and 3.6 rebounds in 67 career games. The Northbrook, Ill., native ranks fifth in ACC history (second at Duke) with a career .867 free throw percentage (235-of-271). After starting 32 games as a freshman, Scheyer came off the bench last year and quickly became one of the top sixth men in the country.

Well, so much for that one captain thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Well, so much for that one captain thing.
    Yeah, and no Dave McClure (yet).
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

obviously Paulus, but... Gerald and Scheyer too? I admit, I did not see that coming...

My first thought about three captains wold be that it didn't work before because we had three INEXPERIENCED captain and no defact0 leader who, in the words of K, "could teach tradition and what it means to be a Duke basketball player." Now we have lots of experience on the team and a defacto leader in Paulus.

Congratulations to all three!

WOW! Three captains! I'm very suprised.

Congratulations to all three.

If I were Paulus, I might be a little hurt/insulted. Last year, he was not given a second year as a captain, with the reason being IIRC that the captaincy was getting watered down, and Coach K was going to bring a little more importance to the position by having DeMarcus serve as the sole captain. Now, the next year, in his senior year, he's a tri-captain? One could read into it that last year Coach K had more of a problem with Paulus being a captain, than having multiple captains.

Not to worry...

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    WOW! Three captains! I'm very suprised.

Congratulations to all three.

If I were Paulus, I might be a little hurt/insulted. Last year, he was not given a second year as a captain, with the reason being IIRC that the captaincy was getting watered down, and Coach K was going to bring a little more importance to the position by having DeMarcus serve as the sole captain. Now, the next year, in his senior year, he's a tri-captain? One could read into it that last year Coach K had more of a problem with Paulus being a captain, than having multiple captains.
    Disagree a little bit. There are varying reasons to name someone Captain. In the case of Henderson and Scheyer I suspect that it might be, partly, a way to "pull more leadership out of them." Yes, Paulus' choice was obvious, but a tri-captaincy might even be an attempt to HELP him, by not over-burening Greg with those responsibilities too (in addition to the starting PG load). I defer to the master-chemist, Coach K, as only he knows what combo best serves the team, and these players.

-BDBD

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Yeah, and no Dave McClure (yet).
    I'm disappointed. I was hoping for McClure to be included as well. I thought it would be Paulus and McClure as the team captains, with Scheyer and Henderson leading the way next year.

CYNICAL ANALYSIS: Paulus was always going to be captain, but K believes in the importance of a breakout year for Gerald to this team and really wanted to make him take ownership of the team and it's success. However, he could not name just Paulus and Gerald and leave out Jon because Jon is every bit as deserving... so K went with all three. I believe K related this thought process to Greg and Greg agreed so there will be no feelings hurt there. Last year everyone on campus wondered why Jon was starting as the sixth man at the beginning of the year and it was a not-so-well kept secret that Gerald was given the starter's role over Jon because Gerald's ego would be badly bruised if he came off the bench and Jon's would not. Take from that what you will.

NON CYNICAL ANALYSIS: K added Jon and Gerald because he likes to have a captain on the floor at all times to take control of huddles and rally the troops. Last year Demarcus played heavy minutes, and when he wasn't on the floor Paulus usually was (and lets be honest, he was the vocal leader last year and filled the role of captain on the floor at times even though he didn't have the title). This year, Paulus will probably not be playing as heavy minutes as Demarcus did and K simply wants a captain on the floor when Paulus is out. He couldn't take just Gerald or Scheyer so he took both.

I'm really surprised that there is not more discussion on this thread...

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Disagree a little bit. There are varying reasons to name someone Captain. In the case of Henderson and Scheyer I suspect that it might be, partly, a way to "pull more leadership out of them." Yes, Paulus' choice was obvious, but a tri-captaincy might even be an attempt to HELP him, by not over-burening Greg with those responsibilities too (in addition to the starting PG load). I defer to the master-chemist, Coach K, as only he knows what combo best serves the team, and these players.

-BDBD
    I don't think what I said is something that one disagrees with, per say. I said "If I were Greg Paulus...". There's not much to disagree with. I really think that if I were Greg Paulus, I would have those thoughts in my head.

I didn't say that Coach K didn't make the right choice for the team.

I didn't say Greg should be insulted/hurt, but if I were him I would be a little insulted/hurt.

We don't know what Coach K has said to these players, or even just to Greg beind closed doors, but just based on last year's policy on captaincy, and this year's naming of captains, this is the first thing that comes to mind. It WOULD rub me a little bit if I were him. Hopefully it won't be an issue with the actual Greg Paulus, but he's only human, and I don't think it's unreasonable if he felt a little slighted.

Tri-Captains

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    CYNICAL ANALYSIS: Paulus was always going to be captain, but K believes in the importance of a breakout year for Gerald to this team and really wanted to make him take ownership of the team and it's success. However, he could not name just Paulus and Gerald and leave out Jon because Jon is every bit as deserving... so K went with all three. I believe K related this thought process to Greg and Greg agreed so there will be no feelings hurt there. Last year everyone on campus wondered why Jon was starting as the sixth man at the beginning of the year and it was a not-so-well kept secret that Gerald was given the starter's role over Jon because Gerald's ego would be badly bruised if he came off the bench and Jon's would not. Take from that what you will.

NON CYNICAL ANALYSIS: K added Jon and Gerald because he likes to have a captain on the floor at all times to take control of huddles and rally the troops. Last year Demarcus played heavy minutes, and when he wasn't on the floor Paulus usually was (and lets be honest, he was the vocal leader last year and filled the role of captain on the floor at times even though he didn't have the title). This year, Paulus will probably not be playing as heavy minutes as Demarcus did and K simply wants a captain on the floor when Paulus is out. He couldn't take just Gerald or Scheyer so he took both.
    All good points. I think DEMark talked more on the court last year than he did the other 3 years combined. We need Gerald to take that kind of leadership. I am looking for Gerald to have a break out year. Jon and Greg were no brainers as far as I'm concerned. Congratulations to all 3 fine young men. Go Duke!

I'm really surprised that there is not more discussion on this thread...
    I am too.

Big question: In various thread this summer, the subject of next year's potential starting five has been tossed around quite a bit. IIRC, the player who was most "liked" to keep Scheyer out of the starting five, according to a poll thread, was Nolan Smith. With Scheyer as a captain, is there any way he does not start? A few other posters wanted Nolan Smith as our starting PG as opposed to Paulus. Now that Paulus is a capatin officially, is there a scenario where this happens?

I'm not asking "Who is next year's starting five", but rather "How does a tri-captaincy affect next year's starting five, if there is any effect at all"? Especially interested in hearing from those that think Nolan (and even Elliott Williams, according to a few pollsters) is going to start next year.

I know there have definitely been some senior captains that didn't start, but I can't recall any non-starting, non-senior captains.

I personally think this captaincy all but cements the three captains into the staring five.

I am too.

Big question: In various thread this summer, the subject of next year's potential starting five has been tossed around quite a bit. IIRC, the player who was most "liked" to keep Scheyer out of the starting five, according to a poll thread, was Nolan Smith. With Scheyer as a captain, is there any way he does not start? A few other posters wanted Nolan Smith as our starting PG as opposed to Paulus. Now that Paulus is a capatin officially, is there a scenario where this happens?

I'm not asking "Who is next year's starting five", but rather "How does a tri-captaincy affect next year's starting five, if there is any effect at all"? Especially interested in hearing from those that think Nolan (and even Elliott Williams, according to a few pollsters) is going to start next year.

I know there have definitely been some senior captains that didn't start, but I can't recall any non-starting, non-senior captains.

I personally think this captaincy all but cements the three captains into the staring five.
    The choice of captains just solidified what most reasonable posters on this board have said all summer. The starters will undoubtedly be PAULUS, SCHEYER, HENDERSON, SINGLER, and ZOUBEK/THOMAS (tbd).

The choice of captains just solidified what most reasonable posters on this board have said all summer. The starters will undoubtedly be PAULUS, SCHEYER, HENDERSON, SINGLER, and ZOUBEK/THOMAS (tbd).
    Since I have been continually in the above-mentioned group, I love the use of the word "reasonable".

Heh. The "explanation" for there being tri-captains might be a bit simpler than what I'm reading. I like any of these:

(1) As the sole captain last season, Demarcus performed great for most of the season but then became worn down, leading to a downturn in his production at the end. Coach K felt that Demarcus took on too many burdens as captain and "cared too much" as the leader, and so this season, he wants the duties of captaincy to be shared by 3 deserving players instead of just 1. This will help with the "fun" factor.

(2) Coach K just finished coaching a successful team in which several players -- Bryant, James, Kidd, Wade -- had a hand in leading, each in his own way.

(3) Paulus, Henderson, and Scheyer were all clearly going to be leaders on this team anyway due to their experience and status. This announcement of tri-captains just makes things official for the fans but Greg, Jon, and Gerald were already acting the part, anyway.

Wink Some Other Thoughts

I
    I didn't say that Coach K didn't make the right choice for the team.

I didn't say Greg should be insulted/hurt, but if I were him I would be a little insulted/hurt.
    To which I have three things to say:

(1) Greg is the PG on the team, a captain, a senior, a really smart guy, and -- by all accounts -- the most vocal guy on the court. Now exactly why would he resent sharing a title with Jon and Gerald (esp. since one reason is to make Gerald more assertive)?

(2) Anyone who would resent this move probably isn't the right guy to be captain.

(3) [It's my day for bad football analogies.] The football QB is not always the captain. Does that make him less of a leader on the field? Is this a good analogy with the PG in hoops?

FWIW, this topic may have well been discussed between K and Greg before a final decision was made. Who knows? Maybe it's all Greg's idea (see point #1 above).

sagegrouse
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 09-05-2008 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Comma chasing

Question

Does K select or do the players vote?

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    I would bet a fair amount of money this is no democracy.

Hard to imagine any lineups where not one of those 3 will be on the court. So coach K will always have at least one captain on the floor which would not have been the case with only Paulus/McClure.

I have no way of knowing how much leadership or lack thereof Dave has exhibited, but he seems to be a team first guy that does the little things and he certainly knows the Duke system. It's just that his role iwll be in reserve duty for Singler or Henderson.

I view Dave's role as captain of the greyhounds, the practice players who have lots of skill and athelticism but not much if any ACC experience such as EWill, Olek, Miles, and also Marty, Nolan and the other of Lance/Zoubs.

Marty is Dave's apprentice to assume that practice captain role next year, if he elects to pass up Euro dollars next season.

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    K selects, but has a very good idea of who the players want and who the leaders are.

The speculation in this thread is understandable, but a little bit silly, when you think about it. None of us knows the dynamic of the team. None of us knows what went on when the season ended, and who stepped up, took charge through the summer, etc. FTR, I'm not surprised at all that Henderson and Scheyer were added to the captain mix -- both are excellent leaders from everything I've heard. I doubt Paulus will be insulted in any way by their earning that title. Similarly, being a senior does not mean a player is a natural leader. The role of captain is not an entitlement. For all we know, Dave McClure might not have even wanted that responsibility. From all I've heard, this was an excellent decision, and it's a lot different from two years ago, when captains were named basically by default.