K to stay involved with USA basketball

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/...ory?id=3556897

This sounds great for Duke. K would have much more access to players who may suit up for Duke. I think that once a kid got coached by K, then he would fall in love and come to Duke, not unlike what Dorrance did at UNC with the Women's national team (which is the SOLE reason UNC won all those Women's Soccer titles).

Do we still have to qualify for the 2012 Olympics?

I believe the host country (england) and the winner of the 2010 World Championships can sit out the qualifying tournament in 2011, but do we as reigning Olympic champs still have to qualify?

Coach K

I know a lot of players have commented that they would rather win olympic gold than an NBA/NCAA championship.

I think K is the same way. His comments certainly sound like those of a coach who just won a national championship just in terms of the attitude, optimism, and excitement he seems to have. And knowing how patriotic K is, I would assume that he values this olympic gold as much as any of his other basketball related accomplishments, if not more.

On another note, I wonder if we'll ever get to a state where as in soccer, countries have a full time national head coach whose primary if not sole focus is on the national team. As involved as K has been, I would say he has at most, split time with his Duke priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I believe the host country (england) and the winner of the 2010 World Championships can sit out the qualifying tournament in 2011, but do we as reigning Olympic champs still have to qualify?
    Yes. Argentina won the gold in 2004 and still had to play in the FIBA Americas Championship to qualify.

Question Uh-oh! I'm worried

Did you read this quote in the referenced ESPN article?

'As for coaching the team again, Krzyzewski said, "right now I just want to help. I enjoy recruiting and coaching Duke but I'll see where all of it goes. All I can tell you is that I'll be involved. I want to be with how we go forward.'' '

"Right now." He said "right now." Does this mean he would consider becoming the USA basketball czar/permanent coach?

Sometimes it helps to be paranoid, but this is really scary.

sagegrouse

Comments at the bottom

God I love reading the comments at the bottom. The tarheels fans are just making themselves look like idiots over it all. And I mean really who can blame them, the best thing they could do is keep their mouth shut, but that's so hard to do. I'm just glad we aren't in their position because really they're darned if they do (actually a little worse than darned) and darned if they don't (but still darned).