Duke Olympians Tribute

I especially enjoyed the halftime tribute honoring Duke's Beijing Olympians.

Cheering for Coach K was a privilege. Watching him accept the applause reminded me of his patriotism and the almost (but not quite) no-win situation in which he had to operate.

USA! USA!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I especially enjoyed the halftime tribute honoring Duke's Beijing Olympians.

Cheering for Coach K was a privilege. Watching him accept the applause reminded me of his patriotism and the almost (but not quite) no-win situation in which he had to operate.

USA! USA!
    I loved seeing him go over to the students and return in kind their gracious bows, that was beautiful!

Usa! Usa! Usa!

Not sure how loud it got, but we definately had a chant of USA in our section. I mean how cool is that. Not too many chants you can get going that everyone in the stadium can join in on, but thanks to the Duke involvement we could.

I was impressed by the JMU fans joining the standing ovation for the Duke Olympians, including Coach K and staff. I can think of a few ACC schools that would not have behaved this way.

I had a chance to chat with several of their tailgating fans, and they were very pleasant and gracious. Of course, that was before the game...

Quote Originally Posted by GopherBlue View Post
    I was impressed by the JMU fans joining the standing ovation for the Duke Olympians, including Coach K and staff. I can think of a few ACC schools that would not have behaved this way.

I had a chance to chat with several of their tailgating fans, and they were very pleasant and gracious. Of course, that was before the game...
    Unfortunately, there was a JMU fan and 2 carolina fans sitting behind us last night. I felt they behaved with class until halftime when none of them applauded the olympians, Coach K, and when they didn't participate in the USA cheer. That bummed me out. If, for some bizzare reason, I attended a carolina game and they honored their olympians and if their basketball coach had brought home the gold, I would have cheered for them and for the USA. I just don't get it. That was the only bummer last night. The rain didn't bother me very much. In fact, it felt great!

Is there a video or a photo of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
    Is there a video or a photo of that?
    The N&O photo gallery linked on the DBR headlines page has a few photos...

Thanks!

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...y/1201181.html

Photo #15 has Coach K being honored at half-time. Were there any of the other Duke Beijing Olympians too?

Thanks!

Photo #15 has Coach K being honored at half-time. Were there any of the other Duke Beijing Olympians too?
    Coaches Wojo and Chris Collins were there, but I didn't see any others.

The original link for the full gallery was posted in the main page:

Photos 86-90 are about the half-time tribute. 86 has Wojo on the backdrop. It would have been nice to have honored the other Olympians too.

Duke Olympians

The original link for the full gallery was posted in the main page:

Photos 86-90 are about the half-time tribute. 86 has Wojo on the backdrop. It would have been nice to have honored the other Olympians too.
    They were indeed honored as they were included in the slide show but did not attend the ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    They were indeed honored as they were included in the slide show but did not attend the ceremony.
    Thanks! I wasn't there but 2000 miles away.

Olympians

Thanks! I wasn't there but 2000 miles away.
    Not to make you feel bad, but if you have read the EK board and the Home Page and the links, you can gather that you missed a very special evening yesterday. Let's hope it can be sustained.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I can understand Boozer, Shannon Rowbury and Rebecca Smith not attending, since they're graduates, but Rebecca Ward's a freshman -- I would've thought she'd be out on the field with K, Wojo, Collins and Kevin Cullen.

Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    Unfortunately, there was a JMU fan and 2 carolina fans sitting behind us last night. I felt they behaved with class until halftime when none of them applauded the olympians, Coach K, and when they didn't participate in the USA cheer. That bummed me out. If, for some bizzare reason, I attended a carolina game and they honored their olympians and if their basketball coach had brought home the gold, I would have cheered for them and for the USA. I just don't get it. That was the only bummer last night. The rain didn't bother me very much. In fact, it felt great!
    Yeah, but what are the odds of that happening? I mean, we tried George Karl and Larry Brown and look what that got us.