Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    I suppose I'll get criticized for posting just one, but I've only been following seriously since about 1980.

1. Laettner

5. Whoever's next

I mean, c'mon. Laettner, Laettner, Laettner, Laettner, Laettner, Laettner.

Laettner!
    Hmm, I think I see your point.

However Duke fans should review C-Well's senior season. No one will replace the ethereal Laettner in the Pantheon of clutch Duke players, but C-Well deserves his own cult following. Aside from the time that I called Jay Bilas to critique him on his performance in I Come In Peace my only call to the Duke Basketball Show with Coach K, as it was then known, was to complain about C-Well during the first few weeks of his sophomore season--the spindly kid with questionable ball-handling skills and a penchant for driving in the teeth of the defense to disastrous results. It was JDs turn to guest host and he patiently endured as I vented. Thankfully the coaches didn't follow my suggestion to bench the kid. Carolina and State still produce a coach's show but strangely Duke no longer does. Makes me wonder.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Okay so CL is the man, and this thread has shown again that there have been many great performances and careers to be thankful for, so I offer a few additional thoughts:

This thread is not an argument - rather a reflection of greatness.

Hurley was so clutch on many levels: three pointers; in your shorts defense; the master of the drive and dish; eliminator of the full court press; annoying everyone that does not love Duke Basketball.

The "Gone in 50 seconds" game automatically gets Jason at least an honorable mention in my book.

Ditto Dunleavy's 3's against Arizona.

Gotta show love for Danny Ferry as well. He carried the team on his back on many occasions. Come to think of it so did Grant Hill. Maybe guys like Danny, Grant, and Elton belong in another category - not necessarily clutch, but just great.

All nominations are valid. Just look at the players, plays, and careers that are being compared - amazing stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Hmm, I think I see your point.

However Duke fans should review C-Well's senior season. No one will replace the ethereal Laettner in the Pantheon of clutch Duke players, but C-Well deserves his own cult following.
    It has to be Laettner. However, C-Well is the player who comes to my mind. He hit so many clutch shots in his senior season. Duhon did this in his senior season, but not as much as C-Well did.

Hurley for 3

While we're giving props to Hurley, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the semifinal against Indiana - which year was that, "92? Hoosiers would have blown us out in the first half if not for Hurley who single handedly kept us in the game with a bunch of threes. Anyone remember how many he hit?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    The "clutchiest" games are in the tournament. Time after time, JJ went bust. Never was so much expected from a Duke player who, in key situations, didn't do it!

I remember a Dean at the school saying to me, I wonder why JJ never hit a shot to win the game.

Perhaps because he was not a clutch player?
    Somewhere I remember him bringing us back in the ACC champ game against NC State....Yeah, I admit he didn't produce in the NCAA..but he did stick daggers into opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by banneheim View Post
    Somewhere I remember him bringing us back in the ACC champ game against NC State....Yeah, I admit he didn't produce in the NCAA..but he did stick daggers into opponents.
    ...and in the 2006 ACC Tournament, where he had a big game against Va Tech in the finals and hit some huge shots. JJ had clutch games in the regular season and in the ACC Tournament; yeah, I hate that it didn't happen in the NCAA tournaments, but he big shots in many, many games.