Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.db...45&SPSID=22727

Kyle Singler- 235 lb (up 15 lb)
    Brian Zoubek- 280 lb !!!!! (up 20 lb)

... not to mention
    Olek Czyz- 240 lb

I'm feeling more and more confident about our front line every day
    That means they were NOT on the Cutcliffe weight loss diet

I like it; a more physically mature, stronger team overall.

Two others:
    Gerald Henderson 6'4" 215#
    Elliot Williams (a slender 165# in HS) now 6'4" 180#

Looking at clips from the summer league it definitely appeared to me that EWill had muscled up quite a bit from the time of the McDonald's game, when he looked almost too skinny to put on the floor for Duke. I think he's found himself a winner of a weight program. Olek's also a little bulkier in the upper body than during the high school season, but I think he has the kind of body where he can bulk and strengthen quite a bit and easily, as needed. EWill not so much, just to look at him, so it's good to see him making rapid progress in the strength department.

Oddly enough, I'm not sure this is necessarily a good thing. As long as the players haven't lost too much mobility, then it is good. However, I don't think Singler would be as effective at his height if he weighed in at more than the 235lb. he is listed at. He might lose some of the slickness on offense that makes him so effective. Ditto for Zoubek, for whom mobility was already somewhat of an issue. Obviously, we'll know more when we see them play. I would be thrilled if all of our players were both bigger and faster than the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Rock View Post
    Oddly enough, I'm not sure this is necessarily a good thing. As long as the players haven't lost too much mobility, then it is good. However, I don't think Singler would be as effective at his height if he weighed in at more than the 235lb. he is listed at. He might lose some of the slickness on offense that makes him so effective. Ditto for Zoubek, for whom mobility was already somewhat of an issue. Obviously, we'll know more when we see them play. I would be thrilled if all of our players were both bigger and faster than the competition.
    Maybe something to this, depending on the player. Kyle was clearly quite a bit more bulked up this summer -- I mean it was very obvious -- and didn't get anyone too excited by his play, though it was consistently praised as heady and steady. But there was one telling observation by one poster. He claimed that in warm-ups Kyle went something like 1 for 25 from behind the three. Just didn't have any touch at all. So, we'll see. But no question some players do better de-bulking. Those extra 15 pounds, however, were a godsend for EWill, who was dominant in summer play.

Scheyer is listed at 5 lbs. heavier.

McClure is 15 lbs. heavier.

Zoubek needs to gain 20 lbs. to reach Shaq's college weight... 280 is pretty large.

oddly...

Im not so worried about Zoubek's gains... (at least as long as his feet dont continue to crumble) He was never going to be a gazelle anyway.

I want nothing short of a 2 hand tackle separating him from the ball. He was stripped and bumped far too easily in the past where he would coff up the ball.

If i'm not mistaken Lance's weight hasn't changed. good/bad in his case?

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    If i'm not mistaken Lance's weight hasn't changed. good/bad in his case?
    It's a good thing as long as he's not playing center. I'm not too worried about Zoubek's weight either. According to some he isn't actually 280 but even if he is you gotta remember he's 7'1. Roy Hibbert was listed at 275 and while he wasn't mobile he was very good and I think we can all agree that Z wasn't ever going to be a mobile player. He needed strength, particularly in his legs.

If that extra 20 lbs. helps Zoubek keep good position in the post, then it was a great move to add the extra weight. There were many times this past season where it seemed like Brian got muscled under the basket because he just wasn't strong enough. Hopefully, the extra weight and strength will change that.

Weight gain can be deceiving.

A guy might not have added weight but maybe they dropped some fat and put on muscle for no weight gain.

If the added weight is in muscle it is good but it might slow them down because muscle tends to tighten a guy up, depending on how much muscle and how quickly. Adding fat usually is not good, it'll slow you down.

For the most part, a quick weight gain is not good, even if it is in muscle. A quick muscle gain tends to tire a guy quicker and needs to be kept up with for a long time after the gain.

I'm pretty sure these guys were under a watchful eye from the Duke trainers so I would believe they did things right.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    Weight gain can be deceiving.

For the most part, a quick weight gain is not good, even if it is in muscle. A quick muscle gain tends to tire a guy quicker and needs to be kept up with for a long time after the gain.

I'm pretty sure these guys were under a watchful eye from the Duke trainers so I would believe they did things right.
    My first thought on Kyle's weight gain was that it might help him to not wear down at the end of the year(like last year). Then I read your comments about it might tire Kyle out quicker. Maybe as you said the Duke trainers kept a close eye on them. We do not need Kyle to be slower and tired at the end of games or the end of the season.