View Poll Results: How do you fire up your grill?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turn on the gas, click that starer button a few doze times and then light with a match.

8 38.10%
  • I use pre-soaked briquets because grilling isn't a passion, it's a means to an end.

1 4.76%
  • Soak charcoal with lighter fluid, light a match and stand back.

3 14.29%
  • I'm a grill god, I use a chimney starter.

9 42.86%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    For those having trouble getting lit...http://www.bicworld.com/inter_en/lig...lity/index.asp

I used to use an old empty metal paint can as a chimney starter. Cut diagonal teeth openings at the bottom of the can. Place newspaper balls in the bottom, charcoal on top, light the paper, coals are ready in 15-20 minutes. Use heavy stick to lift can by the wire handle allowing coals to drop through the open bottom of the can. (important, I forgot to mention you should use a can opener to completely cut out the bottom of the can) Use the same stick to spread the coals.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    ... Are you ready for some football?!

I take it that it's a chimney starter day in Atlanta, right?
    It is indeed a chimney starter day, but the problem is that many of my friends are out of town. I may be grilling a pork tenderloin all by my lonesome, but at least I have a fifth of Maker's Mark to keep me company. I make no claims whatsoever regarding my posts after, say, 3:00 this afternoon...

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Your post belies your vote.
    My buddy has a gas grill, and I use it every weekend. I'm a fan of the convenience and ease of temperature control and have actually smoked great meats using smoke packets: pork shoulder, ribs, beer can chicken. I still prefer the charcoal because cooking, for me, is all about the process, which is my escape and my therapy.

Here I am getting ready to set smoke some beer can chicken on a gas grill!
    Do you always wear a blazer when you barbecue? Looks kinda preppy-dorky to me, no offense. Maybe a Duke t-shirt, shorts and flip flops would look better. What do the rest of you wear when BBQing?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRose77 View Post
    Do you always wear a blazer when you barbecue? Looks kinda preppy-dorky to me, no offense. Maybe a Duke t-shirt, shorts and flip flops would look better. What do the rest of you wear when BBQing?
    Is it legitimate to say someone looks dorky and then say "no offense?"

I keep threatening to buy this shirt for 2535Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    Briquets and charcoal remind me of my (late) father...whose technique was to pour a large quantity of gasoline over the briquets...stand back twenty feet...light a wooden match and toss it toward the grill in a high arc.
    A successful ignition meant a) the fumes ignited before the match hit the charcoal and b) the resulting fireball went at least roof high.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRose77 View Post
    I usually don't put much effort into planning what I'm going to wear when I bbq, that seems kinda preppy-dorky to me.

Back in the day, my family had a real chimney starter, not this stuff made for you by some manufacturing company. You guessed it, a coffee can with holes or better yet triangular can opener shaped openings in the bottom. Process is similar. I don't grill much anymore and use the petroleum product soaked briquets when I do.

Full disclosure.

Hmm, I selected the "right" answer but I'm not sure it's completely honest.

We use our gas grill at least a few times per week, and it's fine.

When I use charcoal, which is several times per year, I use a chimney starter. I always smoke a turkey breast for Thanksgiving and sometimes smoke other meats and even fish (once) and use the chimney then, too. I once used charcoal lighter to start the coals to smoke a turkey. The fluid didn't completely burn off, so we got a lighter-fluid tasting turkey - yuck. Since then, I've been a major proponent of the chimney.

Chimney starter

I bought and used a chimney starter today, based on all your recommendations. It worked as advertise! I'm now a believer. No more instant light charcoal for me. 2 sheets of the N&O and I'm cookin' in 20 minutes. No better use for the N&O that I can think of...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I bought and used a chimney starter today, based on all your recommendations. It worked as advertise! I'm now a believer. No more instant light charcoal for me. 2 sheets of the N&O and I'm cookin' in 20 minutes. No better use for the N&O that I can think of...
    Right on Ozzie! Glad to have you as part of the family. I used mine tonight for the chipotle pork loin with peach salsa (see the Official Recipe Thread). BTW, loved the recipe for Val's Brisket! I'm glad the temperature is changing and will definitely be hooking this up for the fellas in the coming weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Right on Ozzie! Glad to have you as part of the family. I used mine tonight for the chipotle pork loin with peach salsa (see the Official Recipe Thread). BTW, loved the recipe for Val's Brisket! I'm glad the temperature is changing and will definitely be hooking this up for the fellas in the coming weeks!
    My mother (Valerie) says "you're welcome".

I used my charcoal for a T-bone tonight. Hmmm-mmm!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    My mother (Valerie) says "you're welcome".

I used my charcoal for a T-bone tonight. Hmmm-mmm!
    Anything special on the t-bone? I'm usually a straight, bare-bones kinda steak guy. Though I do have a pretty basic rub, that just might have to appear in the Recipe thread.