View Poll Results: How do you fire up your grill?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turn on the gas, click that starer button a few doze times and then light with a match.

8 38.10%
  • I use pre-soaked briquets because grilling isn't a passion, it's a means to an end.

1 4.76%
  • Soak charcoal with lighter fluid, light a match and stand back.

3 14.29%
  • I'm a grill god, I use a chimney starter.

9 42.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Go Chimney Starters!

We touched upon this in the Where do you keep your butter? thread, so I thought it deserved a poll.

I am big fan of charcoal and refuse to use lighter fluid or pre-soaked briquets. For me, it's all about the chimney starter. No chemicals required, you can use it to light briquets or hard wood charcoal, and it looks killer when you're firing it up.

Please note

In no way were my poll options meant to skew your opinion, or shame you into selecting the correct answer.

</disclaimer>

can't believe you started a poll but I think I got the right answer

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    can't believe you started a poll but I think I got the right answer
    Dude, you gotta get your believer fixed.
    And yes, you selected the right answer.

This one's tough. I own a Weber 310 gas grill that I use for much of my grilling. It is Awesome with a capital A. For a smaller amount of my grilling and all of my smoking, I use a barrel smoker with a side firebox. For the smoker I always use my chimney to get the fire started and then hickory chunks once I have hot coals.

And, btw, the electric ignition on my gas grill works like a charm .

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    This one's tough. I own a Weber 310 gas grill that I use for much of my grilling. It is Awesome with a capital A. For a smaller amount of my grilling and all of my smoking, I use a barrel smoker with a side firebox. For the smoker I always use my chimney to get the fire started and then hickory chunks once I have hot coals.

And, btw, the electric ignition on my gas grill works like a charm .
    Your post belies your vote.
    My buddy has a gas grill, and I use it every weekend. I'm a fan of the convenience and ease of temperature control and have actually smoked great meats using smoke packets: pork shoulder, ribs, beer can chicken. I still prefer the charcoal because cooking, for me, is all about the process, which is my escape and my therapy.

Here I am getting ready to set smoke some beer can chicken on a gas grill!

I went with:

Turn on the gas, click that starer button a few doze times and then light with a match.

BUt it really should be "shut the lid, click the starter button a few times, wait, click it a few more times, wait, hope I don't create a firebomb that will set me or the house on fire, click a few more times, and listen to an enormous 'woosh' sound as it finally lights and burns up a grill-lid full of propane."

We grill 1-2 nights a week, all year round, so charcoal just isn't practical.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    I went with:

Turn on the gas, click that starer button a few doze times and then light with a match.

BUt it really should be "shut the lid, click the starter button a few times, wait, click it a few more times, wait, hope I don't create a firebomb that will set me or the house on fire, click a few more times, and listen to an enormous 'woosh' sound as it finally lights and burns up a grill-lid full of propane."

We grill 1-2 nights a week, all year round, so charcoal just isn't practical.
    Before I moved to LA I was grilling four nights a week, all of them charcoal. For me, as previously stated, the charcoal is absolutely worth it. I love everything about cooking, from prep, to soaking wood chips, to firing up the coals, to grillin, to eatin, to seein the smiles on everyones faces.

I'm up way too late... when I first saw this thread, I though the "Chimney Starters" was some new semi-pro soccer team or something.

Chimney starters are OK but the charcoal in the bottom is burned up by the time the charcoal on top is ready.

Petroleum products are the only way to have a nice even fire.

Years ago as a gift I got a copy of the "Mayberry Cookbook".

Ernest T. Bass' recipe for BBQ Pork:
    • Chase a pig into the house.
    • Run out, but keep the pig in.
    • Set the house on fire.
    • Come back when the fire is out and find the pig.

We grill an average of 5 nights a week, so propane is our choice. First click each and every time for over 2 years.

I voted for the propane thing with pushing the starter button a dozen times.

However, if any of you would like to show me how to use the chimney starter and charcoal way, I would love to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    I voted for the propane thing with pushing the starter button a dozen times.

However, if any of you would like to show me how to use the chimney starter and charcoal way, I would love to learn.
    Pretty easy to do, Cathy. A chimney starter is basically a grated metal cylinder with a wooden handle attached. Put in charcoal and light some sheets of newspaper below the grate.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chimney.html

The link is from the Weber grill folks; they have a classic charcoal kettle in different sizes that is a standard for charcoal grilling.

Advantages---adds flavor to what is cooked; eliminate any lighter fluid smell, etc.; easy to use and fun; a purist's way of grilling.

Disadvantage---takes a while (30 minutes or so) for the charcoal to fully ignite and become grill-ready. Need to plan ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Pretty easy to do, Cathy. A chimney starter is basically a grated metal cylinder with a wooden handle attached. Put in charcoal and light some sheets of newspaper below the grate.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chimney.html

The link is from the Weber grill folks; they have a classic charcoal kettle in different sizes that is a standard for charcoal grilling.

Advantages---adds flavor to what is cooked; eliminate any lighter fluid smell, etc.; easy to use and fun; a purist's way of grilling.

Disadvantage---takes a while (30 minutes or so) for the charcoal to fully ignite and become grill-ready. Need to plan ahead.
    I highly recommend the chimney. It costs about $12 and transforms charcoal cooking into an idiot-proof operation. It's high-class grilling at my house too; we light our grill with the Sunday New York Times (boy, there's the setup for plenty of jokes...).
    As for the planning ahead "disadvantage," what's the point of grilling if you don't get to sit around all day, lustily contemplating the lightly charred flesh you will later consume?

Wait a minute, roywhite and wilson! You mean you're not going to come over here and SHOW me how to do it? I have to do this thing by myself? I may just stick to the propane way of grilling.

Wait a minute, roywhite and wilson! You mean you're not going to come over here and SHOW me how to do it? I have to do this thing by myself? I may just stick to the propane way of grilling.
    How long have you been in Greenville? I just moved from there a bit more than a year ago after a two-year sentence, I mean stint, at ECU. Would have been nice to know another Dukie around there...

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    How long have you been in Greenville? I just moved from there a bit more than a year ago after a two-year sentence, I mean stint, at ECU. Would have been nice to know another Dukie around there...
    I just moved here from California this summer.

I'm excited about being back in North Carolina and about being so close to Duke. I can hardly wait for the football game on Saturday!

If you're that attractive gal in your avatar, it appears there may be a slight conflict of interest.

Welcome back to NC. Those barbecue folks around your area know plenty about grilling over natural fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by hudlow View Post
    Chimney starters are OK but the charcoal in the bottom is burned up by the time the charcoal on top is ready.

Petroleum products are the only way to have a nice even fire.
    Blasphemer!
    Seriously, I've never had this problem. The briquets may be a tad bit smaller but they've never been burned up, and it's never caused issues with uneven heat, or the duration of heat.