View Poll Results: Where do you keep your butter?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • In the fridge

34 66.67%
  • Not in the fridge

11 21.57%
  • Butter? I use those terrible spreads

1 1.96%
  • Other. Please explain.

5 9.80%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Chimney starter = awesome. I have one too, and I get all snobby when people use lighter fluid
    As you should! Lighter fluid is weak.

Love, love, love my chimney starter.

I cam from a butter-in-the-fridge family, so I kept the butter in the fridge. Then I married a woman from a butter-on-the-counter family. I'll let you guess where we keep our butter now.

I keep some butter on the counter and the rest in the fridge. If the butter is for cooking, I grab the fridge butter. If it is to be spread on bread or put on my Blueberry Eggo waffles, then I get it from the counter. I don't keep much on the counter as I don't use that much butter and it does go bad after awhile...

Chimney starter = awesome. I have one too, and I get all snobby when people use lighter fluid
    Seconded. Let's not even get into how terrible gas grills are.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    My sister-in-law always keeps the butter out. To me, it seems very unhygienic.

While living in Luxembourg, it took me a while to get used to buying eggs, as grocery stores tended to not keep them in refrigerated sections.
    Does your sister-in-law store the butter next to used tooth brushed, or behind the cat's litter box? Seriously, I don't see the big deal. Butter existed long before refrigeration and we seemed to have made it this far without any serious incidences. Maybe the salt in the butter helps to preserver it.

How about meats? I used to keep meats out overnight (then it goes in the fridge), because that's what we did at home. One day my roommate at the time threw out my chicken jambalaya because I had left it out overnight, I got mad at him. Then I find out apparently here you're not supposed to do that. I just think leaving meat out overnight made my stomach stronger
    Meat is a tad bit sketchier than butter. I mean, I've never heard of a case of salmonella or trichinosis related to rancid butter so I take a little more caution with meat. However, I have no qualms with letting raw meat sit out for a few hours as long as it's covered. In fact, I usually bring my meat up to room temperature before grilling.

Either way, your stomach rules!

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Love, love, love my chimney starter.

I cam from a butter-in-the-fridge family, so I kept the butter in the fridge. Then I married a woman from a butter-on-the-counter family. I'll let you guess where we keep our butter now.
    So how is that butter-on-the-counter treating you?

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    So how is that butter-on-the-counter treating you?
    I've had food poisoning 8 times in 12 years!

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I've had food poisoning 8 times in 12 years!
    You need a new private chef mate!

Butter Bell

I guess no one here goes to a Williams-Sonoma or Crate & Barrel very often.

Get yourself a butter bell. Room temperature butter stays good for weeks w/o a refrigerator.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Seconded. Let's not even get into how terrible gas grills are.
    Hey now, gas grills aren't all bad. Since my better half doesn't like the idea of a smoker on our deck, I've found the gas grill works well as a substitute in certain situations. It's easy to maintain a constant low temp for indirect heat slow cooking of ribs, roasts and the like. Throw a smoker box full of wood over one of the burners and you're good to go.

Mine comes in a spray bottle. So easy for a slice of cinnamon toast, or corn on the cob. I just can't believe it's not butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Hey now, gas grills aren't all bad. Since my better half doesn't like the idea of a smoker on our deck, I've found the gas grill works well as a substitute in certain situations. It's easy to maintain a constant low temp for indirect heat slow cooking of ribs, roasts and the like. Throw a smoker box full of wood over one of the burners and you're good to go.
    Heck, even Alton Brown acknowledges that gas grills have their place in the arsenal.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Heck, even Alton Brown acknowledges that gas grills have their place in the arsenal.
    Even Bobby Flay uses one.

I really liked the old Grillin' & Chillin' show he used to do.

One stick of butter in a butter dish on the counter, the rest of the box in the fridge, and any extra boxes in the freezer. I don't use butter a ton, so I occassionally have to toss the last tablespoon or so from the butter dish and start over with a new stick.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    One stick of butter in a butter dish on the counter, the rest of the box in the fridge, and any extra boxes in the freezer. I don't use butter a ton, so I occassionally have to toss the last tablespoon or so from the butter dish and start over with a new stick.
    This. (except I use lots of butter so throwing it out is not an option)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Wow. Someone went DEEP into the archives.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Wow. Someone went DEEP into the archives.
    Sounds like he was just looking for a reason to talk butter. Don't blame him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I keep some butter on the counter and the rest in the fridge. If the butter is for cooking, I grab the fridge butter. If it is to be spread on bread or put on my Blueberry Eggo waffles, then I get it from the counter. I don't keep much on the counter as I don't use that much butter and it does go bad after awhile...
    Still this.

I keep one stick out on the counter in a butter dish, just like the OP. The rest is in the fridge.
    When we use up the one on the counter, we pull another stick out of the fridge and put it into the butter dish on the counter. We wash the butter dish by hand between sticks of butter. Never gotten sick from this. Ever. Butter spreads easily and life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post

While living in Luxembourg, it took me a while to get used to buying eggs, as grocery stores tended to not keep them in refrigerated sections.
    It seems that the difference has to do with the way the eggs are processed before they are sold:

https://www.organicvalley.coop/blog/...rigerate-eggs/

"It turns out that, here in America, eggs are refrigerated because the USDA requires eggs sold for consumption to be washed, processed, and then refrigerated before they come anywhere near a store’s shelves. On the other hand, most European and Asian countries have reached the opposite conclusion, requiring that table eggs not be wet-washed, and also not refrigerated."

The Section 15 household has had this debate, and we finally realized that it was both regional and technical.