Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by keithg View Post
    "that's ridiculous. you are aware of whom he recently has lost to the nba draft? what is he supposed to do when he loses gay, boone and m williams early last year?"

at least what Roy did last year..after he lost Williams, McCants, Felton and May. I think Calhoun is overrated.

he should have at least been a 2 seed in the ncaat? so basically you think that he should be a 1 seed every year and for years he loses everyone early to the nba draft he should be a 2 seed? give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    there is no way that howland and matta are on this short list...yet. all of the other guys have ncs, multiple final 4s appearances and have been in the business a long time. matta hasn't even played in a final 4 (it will change next weekend) and i question calling him a great game coach. he has fantastic players this year and, in several games in the year's ncaat against inferior opponents, his team has not shown up ready to play. moreover, he has the most dominating guy in college basketball who has been vanishing on offense until what seems like a lightbulb goes off and they realize in the middle of the 2nd half that they need to start banging it in to him.

howland probably is the closest to making that list. he has back-to-back final 4s and this year is a wip which may lead to a nc. there is no doubt that he is a great coach and my guess is that within 5 years he will be on the list without question. he just needs a little more time. don't forget that his team this year is very young and he could return everyone.

thompson is way too young and isn't even in the group just under this list...yet. even if gtown beats unc today (god, i hope they do) and gets to the final 4, that isn't enough to match what the other guys have done over 20+ years.

i can't stand calipari because of how arrogant and corrupt he is but he also is on the sub list and could get on this list over the next 5 to 10 years -- particularly if he goes to uk. who negotiates a clothing allowance in his contract with a university?
    I think that you said that Howland was almost there in the original post that started this thread and I am not sure that it will take him another 5 years to get there. Re: Matta, granted he had good players this year but yet being able to recruit was a criterion of being a top coach. Also, he lost a lot from last year's conference champions and won with a lot of freshman playing this year. No NC yet for him and probably not this year with Florida in the mix, but what he did against Duke with a vastly inferior Xavier team in 2004 said a lot. Re: Thompson, Jr., all I said that he was impressive with the job he has done at G'Town. He's not there yet, but is on his way. Let's hope that the Hoyas can knock out the Heels today. And Calipari is a corrupt thug.

Maybe there should be another list for great "younger" coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I think we tend to lose track of how many other teams blow big leads on a regular basis in the Tourney. In the last round alone, Tennessee and USC did it. Vandy had a handy lead over Georgetown. Butler was up early on Tennessee.

As far as that Duke-UConn game goes, there's no way I can second-guess Coach K because I was actively first-guessing Jim Calhoun the minute he sat Okafor. Seriously, there were just some ridiculous calls in the second half -- particularly against Shav and Shel -- that killed Duke. Otherwise, Calhoun allowed his team to get down by such a margin that they had to play an almost perfect last three minutes (and catch a few breaks from Duke) to win. Seriously, if any number of 10 plays goes another way (Ewing doesn't ignore his transition D responsibility and chase a rebound in the corner, leaving Anderson open for a transition three, Deng doesn't hoise a quick shot, etc.), UConn loses. That's way too close a margin, with way too much lucky involved, to consider Calhoun's strategy superior. I loved the way Coach K went for the jugular, believe that Calhoun never did make up for Okafor's lost minutes despite his finishing the game against Horvath, and, as I said, find that to be one of the most frustrating losses I've ever witnessed as a Duke fan.

The 1999 game? You can take Coach K to task for that one and I won't argue much. I thought UConn's game plan was better and K didn't adjust well, and his end-game play (one-on-one with Trajan) was a very poor choice. But I love the job he did in the 2004 game, and will always be bitter that he wasn't rewarded for it with a win.
    that's 2 final 4 games in the last 4 years where a dominating big picked up 2 quick fouls and then proceeded to sit most of the first half -- only to be available and lead the team to a win in the last 10 minutes. going for the jugular is just plain stupid when it means that you will be crippled in the last 10 minutes of the game with your big guy either gone or with 4 fouls. matta made the correct call tonight -- as did calhoun in 2004.

that's 2 final 4 games in the last 4 years where a dominating big picked up 2 quick fouls and then proceeded to sit most of the first half -- only to be available and lead the team to a win in the last 10 minutes. going for the jugular is just plain stupid when it means that you will be crippled in the last 10 minutes of the game with your big guy either gone or with 4 fouls. matta made the correct call tonight -- as did calhoun in 2004.
    You have no comparison here. Hibbert didn't play with 3 fouls in the first half either. As soon as he picked up his second, he came out too. Both he and Oden had two fouls at the half.
    Not sure why you're bringing this up now, either, or how you can conclude that "going for the jugular is just plain stupid" on a sample size of one game (as much as you want this game to count, it doesn't). Plus, you can never prove the other side of it -- what a team might have done had a guy not been sitting the entire first half with two fouls.

On a different note, this game is just another example why, in my mind, college basketball needs to go to a 6-foul rule. Too many players are in foul trouble in every key game; five fouls is a lousy rule.

i think that the bigger problem is the refs calling non-fouls as fouls. hibbert's 4th foul was a phantom foul. i also don't understand why these guys, who know how important they are to their teams, have such a propensity to go out and picked up stupid fouls. seriously, when were hibbert and oden NOT in foul trouble this tournament? it makes you appreciate even more how well shel was able to avoid getting in foul trouble for the better part of 3 years as he, too, knew that there wasn't anyone who could replace him.

i think that the bigger problem is the refs calling non-fouls as fouls. hibbert's 4th foul was a phantom foul. i also don't understand why these guys, who know how important they are to their teams, have such a propensity to go out and picked up stupid fouls. seriously, when were hibbert and oden NOT in foul trouble this tournament? it makes you appreciate even more how well shel was able to avoid getting in foul trouble for the better part of 3 years as he, too, knew that there wasn't anyone who could replace him.
    Totally agree about Shel. And it's sad that one of the games in which he did find foul trouble -- the UConn title game -- was one where someone DID step up in place of him. Shav was great ... except for the phantom fouls called on him too. Terribly officiated game.

Was Hibbert's fourth foul the one where he hit the guy in the face, or was got caught going for the rebound? Whichever was the face hit looked weak in real time, but was clear on the replay. The other one looked like a legit foul in real time and then looked ridiculous on the replay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Totally agree about Shel. And it's sad that one of the games in which he did find foul trouble -- the UConn title game -- was one where someone DID step up in place of him. Shav was great ... except for the phantom fouls called on him too. Terribly officiated game.

Was Hibbert's fourth foul the one where he hit the guy in the face, or was got caught going for the rebound? Whichever was the face hit looked weak in real time, but was clear on the replay. The other one looked like a legit foul in real time and then looked ridiculous on the replay.
    the face smack with #3. he definitely fouled him. #4 was when he was floating around the 3 point line after a miss and, other than the fact that there was body contact, there wasn't a foul.

the face smack with #3. he definitely fouled him. #4 was when he was floating around the 3 point line after a miss and, other than the fact that there was body contact, there wasn't a foul.
    I'm with you. I thought Hibbert held Hunter in live action. The replay certainly seemed to indicate otherwise.

It's a joke to not include Calhoun. I don't like him either, but you can't argue with his accomplishments. He basically single-handedly made UConn what it is today - one of the best college basketball schools in the country.

And....

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    It's a joke to not include Calhoun. I don't like him either, but you can't argue with his accomplishments. He basically single-handedly made UConn what it is today - one of the best college basketball schools in the country.
    One of the biggest jokes in college basketball......Uh let's see = kid steals computer and still plays. I love how George Mason suspends their best player and UConn plays theirs and we see who went further. "Be sure your sins will find you out."

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    One of the biggest jokes in college basketball......Uh let's see = kid steals computer and still plays. I love how George Mason suspends their best player and UConn plays theirs and we see who went further. "Be sure your sins will find you out."
    I agree the guy is a jerk but that doesn't change the fact that he's one of the best coaches in the sport today. Anyone who says otherwise is either ignorant of his accomplishments or is just being biased.

Two Guys Who I think Were Easily Top 10 This Year

Seth Greenberg and JTIII. Greenberg's concepts are terrific. His team is terrific to watch. I enjoy the way the guy sees and explains the game.

JTIII might be the best bench coach in the college game. As far as developing talent goes, is there anyone close? Think Hibbert when he arrived; think the best offensive center in the college game today, and he is still growing into his body. Terrifically versatile. Everybody said that Georgetown had to keep the score down to even be in the game against UNC. JTIII said, nobody yet has kept the score down against these guys. His boys went out and outscored UNC in a relatively high scoring game.

Lowe did an amazing job this year. I thought that they were playing an incredibly inventive offense at year's end. Hope things work out with his kid. This guy, along with Seth, could redefine the allignment of power in this league. IMO, both are that good.

Knight? Not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    I think that the following are the top college coaches now, based upon recruiting and game day coaching :

Jim Calhoun, Billy Donovan,Tom Izzo, Bob Knight, Coach K, Lute Olson, Rick Pittino and Roy Williams. I did not rank them and you can if you want.

I think that Ben Howland will soon be joining the group.
    I don't think Bob Knight is close to an elite coach anymore. Good coach, solid coach, but on the level of those other guys? No way. And there a lot of others who have surpassed him too. If we were talking in the 70s or 80s, sure, he's a no brainer as an elite coach. Not anymore. No NC's in 20 years -- not even close, actually -- his last stretch at Indiana was pretty mediocre in terms of recruiting and results, and while he's improved things at TexTech, come on, it's been nothing to really write home about.
    It's like saying Joe Paterno is an elite college football coach. He was one then. Not one now.

Billy Donovan

Right now in my opinion he is the best college basketball coach as far as recruiting and winning...I do emphasize "right now",

If UNC wins the tournament then I think that Roy Williams should be considered as Donovan's equal.

Right now in my opinion he is the best college basketball coach as far as recruiting and winning...I do emphasize "right now",

If UNC wins the tournament then I think that Roy Williams should be considered as Donovan's equal.
    I need to see how BillyD does with some new players for a couple of years before I label him as the best coach. Roy Williams...as much as I hate him, he's definitely one of the best now.

IMO, roy williams is already a better coach than bill donovan. And my reasons for that have absolutely nothing to do with friend, the Arizona alum, who thinks, and I quote "Roy is hot". Yeah, I don't get it either.

Quote Originally Posted by wisteria View Post
    I need to see how BillyD does with some new players for a couple of years before I label him as the best coach. Roy Williams...as much as I hate him, he's definitely one of the best now.
    Aside from John Wooden and Coach K noone else has won back to back championships and while Wooden is probably acknowledged as the best UCLA's run was accomplished in a much different setting than today. Donovan lost his top players and still managed to win 20 games in the SEC. He is one of the games top recruiters, ( we lost Murphy to him already), and has proven he can coach.

In do deference to Coach K, right now I do not consider him to be the best coach in college basketball. I think that Donovan, Williams are better and I think that Coach K is in the second tier right now with Tom Izzo, Jim Calhoun, Ben Howland ...there maybe others but I am having a senior momemt. I do emphasize that I am talking about ," right now". Where Donovan and Williams have out-performed Coach K is in the area of recruiting

I think that Coach K's recruiting is not up to his previous standards and hopefully that will improve, ( although not next year's class )

18. Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I loved the way Coach K went for the jugular, believe that Calhoun never did make up for Okafor's lost minutes despite his finishing the game against Horvath, and, as I said, find that to be one of the most frustrating losses I've ever witnessed as a Duke fan.
    I totally agree that 2004 was a uniquely horrible game. Protecting a very solid lead we took terrible shots early in the shot clock, made some really poor defensive mistakes, and got royally screwed by some atrocious calls. IIRC, Jumbo, Okafor didn't finish the game against Nick since he fouled out as well. The final tally of fouls was Okafor 3, Shel, Shav, Nick 15 with a 2nd half discrepancy of Okafor 1, Duke's C's 9! If this were a rational world that game, along with the 2002 IU game would have killed any "Duke gets all the calls" nonsense dead.

Quote Originally Posted by keithg View Post
    at least what Roy did last year..after he lost Williams, McCants, Felton and May. I think Calhoun is overrated.
    Throw in K losing 4 in the top 14 in 1999 but winning the ACC and going to the Sweet 16. Great coaches don't spend multiple seasons in the NIT in the "prime" of their career.