Kevin Duckworth, 1964-2008

Kevin Duckworth is dead:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3553879

I loved those Portland teams. They were the last time I cared about the NBA.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I loved those Portland teams. They were the last time I cared about the NBA.
    Hey, me too! Of course, I was about 10 at the peak of Blazer mania. (I grew up in and am now back in Portland.) Oh, those were good days. It was the Isaiah Rider regime that caused me to desert my Blazer (and NBA) fandom, and I have yet to return.

Kevin's death is quite sad. He has stayed involved in the community since his retirement from the league and he will be missed. Knowing how heavy he had become, I have to think that it was a heart ailment that brought his life to an early end. Quite a shame.

What were those lineups? I knew every player when they played the Bulls in 92 but I'm blanking on them other than Duckworth and Clyde. Was Jerome Kersey on those squads?

Kersey, Porter, Drexler, Williams, Duckworth, and Cliff Robinson off the bench.

I often rooted against the Bulls and therefore liked the Blazers, the Suns, and the Jazz.

7th man was Danny Ainge and the 8th man was . . . Alaa Abdelnaby.

I always thought Duckworth was underrated and underutilized by the Blazers. Seemed when they would go in to him, especially early, he was tough to stop and always seemed to get the Blazers off to a good start. Then they'd go away from him for the rest of the game. Never understood it.

The Blazers of the late 80s / early 90s are the only reason I care about the NBA to this day. Some of my fondest memories as a 7th and 8th grader in Portland are of staying up to watch the great Playoff runs with my Dad and brothers.

Having met much of the roster, including Duck, I can say that they are all amazing people. You'll be missed, Duck...Rip City...

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I always thought Duckworth was underrated and underutilized by the Blazers. Seemed when they would go in to him, especially early, he was tough to stop and always seemed to get the Blazers off to a good start. Then they'd go away from him for the rest of the game. Never understood it.
    so he was the Zoubek of the Blazers?

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    so he was the Zoubek of the Blazers?
    No, I said he was "tough to stop."