Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post

5. The most important reason to me is, who on the Dream team was going to be the defensive stopper on the perimeter, Jordan could do a lot, but he could not guard two players at once.

"Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days." ~Doug Larson
    I'd think Scottie Pippen would be the defensive stopper for that time. I may be wrong but I believe Pippen is regarded as one of the best defenders of all time? Give me any of the guards from the '92 team over this year's version of Jason Kidd.

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    I am not so sold on the Dream team, here are my reasons

1. The rest of the world just absolutely stunk at basketball when they played. Easy to look dominant when you are playing middle school calibur teams.

2. I am not the biggest Jordan fan of all time, just because I feel that the 90's was (were) (which do I use) the most watered down decade the NBA ever had. Think about how many big time players there are now, James, Bryant, Mcrady, Garnette, (Spelling on Both?) etc... In the 90's it was Jordan, and maybe Reggie, and some others maybe. Bird and Magic were done, Ewing may as well have been done.

3. Did no one see Bryant take over, people keep saying that Jordan would not have allowed them to lose, what about Kobe. He seems to have a pretty strong will himself.

4. All of those big men did not have a fraction of the Athleticism that Bosh and Howard do. Even when Barkley was in his prime, he was still a little chunky.

5. The most important reason to me is, who on the Dream team was going to be the defensive stopper on the perimeter, Jordan could do a lot, but he could not guard two players at once.

"Nostalgia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days." ~Doug Larson
    I disagree with just about everything you just said.

1. I don't disagree with this, except for 'caliber'

2. Completely disagree with this. If you think McGrady is big time, evidently you haven't watched the playoffs in the past 5 years. Saying that the 90s were Jordan and Reggie is just a bizarre claim. Shaq, Little Penny, pre-injury Grant Hill, the Dream, Pippen, Jordan, Stockton, Malone, Robinson, Barkley, the Glove, Starks, Ewing, Grandmama, etc. There's talent in that list. I'm not saying the 90s were the best era of basketball, but saying they are the most watered down is bogus.

3. Kobe is strong-willed, but he wasn't strong enough willed to win the NBA Championship this year. As mentioned before, Jordan was 6/6 in Finals (and the MVP each time).

4. Did you see the way FIBA games are called? Barkley could clear the lane with his butt, and they would never call it. The athleticism of modern big men wouldn't be a huge advantage.

5. This is probably the most misguided claim. From Wikipedia: "Pippen became known for stellar defense in addition to his consistent scoring, earning 10 NBA All-Defensive Team nods, including 8 on the first team." With his wingspan and athleticism, Pippen was one of the all time greats defending the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I'd think Scottie Pippen would be the defensive stopper for that time. I may be wrong but I believe Pippen is regarded as one of the best defenders of all time? Give me any of the guards from the '92 team over this year's version of Jason Kidd.
    You beat me to it.

The Dream Team members formed a more balanced unit that complimented one other better. People often forget about the play of Chris Mullin - he was perfect for the Olympics and was everything Michael Redd was supposed to be and much more. But more importantly, although the Redeem Team played excellent defense, the Dream Team was simply on another level with Robinson and Ewing manning the paint, and Pippen and Jordan wreaking havoc on the perimeter.

If Garnett and Duncan had opted to play, it would have been a fascinating matchup. But as it is, 1992 is still firmly at the top of the pedestal. 1996 vs 2008 would be closer, but I'd still go with 1996 by a hair.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Another point to consider is that Charlie Rosen, whose views I respect
    Really? He of the "the best LeBron will ever be is an average NBA player" foresight?

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyFan View Post

Really? He of the "the best LeBron will ever be is an average NBA player" foresight?
    Say it ain't so, Chas.

I think the dreamers beat the redeemers 4-2 in a best-of-seven series, the redeemers fully capable of winning on a given day in a single-elimination situation.

But it wouldn't be that close as to whom I'd be pulling for. I find the redeemers much easier to like. No corporate logo whining, for starters.