Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's Gold

Deano

Quote Originally Posted by dukeimac View Post
    The announcers also mentioned something that should make the UNC fans hate Duke and Coach K even more.

3 national NCAA titles and a gold medal for Coach K.

No UNC coach can even come close to that and may never come close to that.

ROF BMG LMAO
    I'm no fan of Deano, but he did have two NCAA titles and Olympic gold in 1976 (with Phil Ford, Mitch Kupchak, Walter Davis, and even Bill Gutheridge), so that's pretty close.

Montreal may have been the first and only time I rooted for one of his teams.

k's medals

The picture of the players putting their medals around Coach K's neck is a GREAT symbolic gesture and shows what they thought of him.

It would make a great poster ...

Just to be clear, those are the only medals Coach K will get. While every team player (including those that don't play in the final game) receive medals, the coaches do not. While he was part of the 92 Dream Team, he does not have a medal from that one. And he will not get a medal for this gold.

And K's accomplishment is not unique. Bobby Knight also has three NCAA titles and an Olympic Gold. He won in 1984, when the USSR and most of the tough Eastern European teams boycotted. As noted, Dean has two NCAA titles and a gold ... Hank Iba has two NCAA titles and a gold (from 1968) and a silver (from 1972).

Not sure if Rupp was officially the Olympic coach in 1948. His Fab Five team was the core of the gold medal team and I know he actually coached them in the London Games ... but they may have had a figurehead coach. He has four NCAA titles ... and gold?

Can we give D-wade two medals and Kobe ...like 5.

For those looking for the photos you can do a Yahoo news photo seach (I think I said "olympic basketball coach medals" but I imagine any number of search strings would work) and find a bunch of similar/related photos.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/slides...287122561.jpg/

Let's not forget that prior to the Dream team, the top level international basketball competition was often US collegians versus Soviet pros (pseudo-amateurs). And their Bulgarian refs, or whatever it was in '72.

I was reminded of this when they showed Doug Collins hitting those FTs in '72. He looked SO young - and now I know why, he wasn't a pro yet.

On balance it is hard to say what is tougher, winning on a relatively level playing field now, but with the BB skills around the globe evening up, or winning then with an artificial disadvantage in age/experience, but before the rest of the world had "caught up" to US standards.

D-Wade was awesome. It is so good to see that guy come back from injury, and show the greatness he had when the Heat won the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Aside from the tacky blue folks, I expect the DHTsunami to be in lull phase for a little bit.

I hope.
    Keep hoping. I have less faith in humanity.

Super win. The ESPN video with K Kobe LeBron Chris Paul Dwayne and Carmelo is hilarious. Now if ESPN could fire the Wanker Caple or whatever his name is. That BS Remark should put that jerk on hiatus from writing any stories.

Oh my god, you guys are funny.

ROF BMG LMAO

Rolling on Floor Busting my gut Laughing my a_s off

As for 3 NCAA title's and 1 Gold ring and no UNC coach getting close to that. Well Dean has 2 NCAA titles and 1 Gold ring but he won't ever get close to Coach K. The last I heard the guy is long gone from coaching so I don't think he has the chance to win another NCAA title or another Gold ring.

Coach K is much close to making 4 NCAA titles than it is for Dean to win his third let along another gold ring.

Only 11 Medals

I don't know if you noticed but Dwight Howard was still wearing his medal. It seems as though he didn't participate.

Haha, I love it.

I bet Doyel already had 2 or 3 articles about how he knew Coach K would fail

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I don't know if anyone else saw this, because they didn't show it during the medal ceremony, only in a montage when the station/Olympic coverage was signing off, but when the team was taking pictures after the medal ceremony at center court, all the players put their gold medals on Coach K (yes, he was wearing 12 gold medals) and stuck him in the middle of the team to pose for some pictures. It was pretty cool, seemingly an ultimate sign of gratitude and respect.
    Quite a contrast from the last USA Men's Basketball Olympic Team. I'm guessing the only thing those guys wanted to put around their coach's neck was a noose.

As that famous Soccer announcer says:

GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL-D, GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL-D, GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL-D !

Our Guys had the talent, OUR COACH had the Gameplan -- to repel one of the great challenges in Gold Medal game history. I can't imagine how Spain could have played any better. So it is testimonial to the great planning, effort, and execution of the USA TEAM, which advanced from a group of individual stars that Coach K took on.

HAIL TO THE CHAMPIONS. Great Job COACH K ... now COME HOME and let's get down to BUSINESS !

Dukeimac,

I'm pretty sure two NCAA titles and one Olympic title is pretty close to three NCAA titles and one Olympic title. Note that DES also has an NCAA title as a player.

Is there nothing we can't turn into ma Duke-UNC p*****g match? Win with class. Act like you've been there before.

RE: Rupp,

He was assistant coach on the '48 team. The head coach was Bud Browning, head coach of the Philips Oilers. The Oilers defeated Kentucky 53-49 in the Olympic Trials finals, mainly because Bob Kurland chewed up Alex Groza.

The Trials consisted of eight amateur teams, a mixture of college and AAU teams. Each of the finalists sent their five starters to the Olympics, joined by four other players. Browning was head coach by virtue of his team winning the title. By all accounts, Rupp didn't take kindly to playing second fiddle to Browning.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Tar Heels are hating this cause they have ZERO part in it...no players, no coaches, no Nuthin!!!

zero for carolina

everything for coach k

congrats Team USA...

Let's see:

Duke representatives: K, Boozer, Dawkins, Wojo, and Collins

Wake Forest representative: C. Paul

NC State representative: N. McMillan

NC representative: NONE

Coincidence?

Speaking of coaches, we probably need to throw Hank Iba's name in the mix. Two NCAA titles, Olympic gold in 1964 and 1968, silver in 1972. Yes, I'm more than a little aware of the criticism directed his way for his handling of the '72 team but his overall record is pretty impressive.

Yes yes yes yes yes yes YES.

Congrats to K and the rest of the team.

gold

Quote Originally Posted by RIDukie View Post
    Let's see:

Duke representatives: K, Boozer, Dawkins, Wojo, and Collins

Wake Forest representative: C. Paul

NC State representative: N. McMillan

NC representative: NONE

Coincidence?

Inside USA Basketball Calendar History Rules Media Central Contact Us

[redacted copyrighted material]

© 2008 USA Basketball, Inc.
    All Rights Reserved

At least DES wasn't a complete "homer" like K and had the "sense" to include a Dukie on the team (just kidding here folks, just kidding)
    Last edited by -jk; 08-25-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: copyright violation

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Is there nothing we can't turn into ma Duke-UNC p*****g match? Win with class. Act like you've been there before.
    Excellent point! Thank you!! This is not about Duke-Carolina, it is about the USA!!!
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Quite a contrast from the last USA Men's Basketball Olympic Team. I'm guessing the only thing those guys wanted to put around their coach's neck was a noose.
    Naw, in fact they had planned something quite similar, they were going to place all of the bronze medals around Larry's neck and take him to the diving venue ... Unfortunately, Larry had already packed before the game and was flying off to his next team.