Mike Tyson (ESPN Classic)

Watching a Mike Tyson marathon on ESPN Classic. I forgot how quickly he dismantled Spinx (sp?) in '88. I have not forgotten how dominant he was.

This is fun to watch, relive.

He's fighting Buster Douglas now.

Fot those too young to remember (can't belive I just typed that), Tyson was simply "unstoppable" and so incredibly intimidating in his prime. His name became a metaphor for something that was impossible (i.e., beating Mike Tyson).

This is bringing back so many memories.

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Watching a Mike Tyson marathon on ESPN Classic. I forgot how quickly he dismantled Spinx (sp?) in '88. I have not forgotten how dominant he was.

Fot those too young to remember (can't belive I just typed that), Tyson was simply "unstoppable" and so incredibly intimidating in his prime. His name became a metaphor for something that was impossible (i.e., beating Mike Tyson).

-EJ
    You are so OLD now. Geezer.

Yeah, yeah before you jump on me, I remember that we used to get all his fights on PPV, so I saw them too. I remember that we hated spending the money and throwing a party for, oh, maybe a 30 second fight...

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    You are so OLD now. Geezer.

Yeah, yeah before you jump on me, I remember that we used to get all his fights on PPV, so I saw them too.
    I'm not old; I'm experienced!

-EJ

I'm not old; I'm experienced!

-EJ
    Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahaaa aaaaaaaaa...

How's Hurley tonight?

tyson = beast

-EJ

Yea, Mike Tyson was one of the best boxers ever before he started goin downhill. He reminds me a lot of Britney Spears. But Tyson could have been in the Sugar Ray Leonard, or Muhammed Ali status. It was actually kind of sad to see what happened to him after a great start to his career. It would have been great to see the hard hitting Mike Tyson go up against the quick and patient Ali.

If you are a boxing fan, a young and up in coming boxer is Tavaris Cloud, he reminds me a lot of Tyson, (except for the attitude problems) so keep him on your radar if your a boxing fan

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    Yea, Mike Tyson was one of the best boxers ever before he started goin downhill. He reminds me a lot of Britney Spears.
    Interesting comparison. Which of the two do you think makes the worse parent?

???

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Interesting comparison. Which of the two do you think makes the worse parent?
    hahahahaha, I have no idea, If you ask me, I really don't even want to know.

But I can bet that Mike Tyson could sing and dance better than Britney too.

re: vs. Britney as a better parent

I just wonder if Mike every threatened his own children with being consumed

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    re: vs. Britney as a better parent

I just wonder if Mike ever threatened his own children with being consumed
    Hilarious. Well played.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    I'm experienced!

-EJ
    Please don't ever tell us at what...

Tyson STILL goes down as one of the best ever. Especially in his prime. ALL old boxers eventually get beaten. It's the nature of the beast.

With the exception of George Foreman, very few boxers are able to keep retiring and still compete years later.

It happens to the big ones. It happens to the small ones.

Mike did something that had never been seen before. He DEMOLISHED opponents with most being psyched out before they even came in the ring.

Forgive me, but I'm one of those kids that has loved all things Mike Tyson. He will live forever in boxing lore as one THE most punishing fighters the world has ever seen.

When he's old and senile - they may not go crazy like they do for Ali but they will love and revere him for his contribution to the sport. He was literally a cash COW for VERY many networks and people.

After looking at old tape - Buster DEMOLISHES an understandably distracted Mike Tyson. Holyfield was the first to get Tyson out of his comfort zone. The bite incident was madness but the loss to Lewis crushed me.

BUT Tyson lost to what was arguably the toughest thing in boxing at the time and that was Lennox Lewis. That seems to be where the wheels fell. Mentally he just wasn't as viscious.

Don't know about yall but to me he's one of the greats: Liston, Dempsey, Ali, Foreman, Spinx, Holmes, and yes - Tyson.