Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Smile Olympic Track & Field

Aside from Shannon Rowbury (who has her own thread in the EK Forum), here's the thread for track & field.

First up: men's 100m. Is Gay healed? Who wins this big matchup: Powell, Bolt, or Gay?

Ato Boldon doing commentary? He seems fine, but I was sort of hoping for him to wear his trademark sunglasses.

It seems like yesterday to me when Bolden was running. Hard for me to believe that it was Atlanta 1996 and 2000. Maybe I am in denial that Michael Johnson still isn't setting records. The shelf life of a sprinter is so short. Really they have maybe a five year window in most cases.

our female 800m runners are disgraceful. not one got out of the first round and i think teter dnf'ed in the first 100m. did you see that some woman ran 2:30 and it was a pb? the 10,000 is on at 10:45am est today. there should be foreign sites that are showing this live.

here's the site with the results:

http://www.iaaf.org/oly08/results/ev...08/bydate.html

Let's go Maldives!

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    our female 800m runners are disgraceful. not one got out of the first round and i think teter dnf'ed in the first 100m. did you see that some woman ran 2:30 and it was a pb? the 10,000 is on at 10:45am est today. there should be foreign sites that are showing this live.

here's the site with the results:

http://www.iaaf.org/oly08/results/ev...08/bydate.html
    I CANNOT figure out what happened with the US 800m women.

Bostondevil: 800m is a whole lot shorter than a marathon. With all the talk about 2535/EJam diving in 2012, think you could try the 800m? Sounds like the Maldives is looking for someone who can run faster than 2:30 for 800 m.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Has the 800m been a strong suit for the American women in recent years? I honestly don't know as I focus on the men's sprints and long distance, the field events(men and women) and the women's sprints. Just haven't ever gotten into anything over 400m for the women.(Ahh, the caveat, I have seen Shannon run...)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Has the 800m been a strong suit for the American women in recent years? I honestly don't know as I focus on the men's sprints and long distance, the field events(men and women) and the women's sprints. Just haven't ever gotten into anything over 400m for the women.(Ahh, the caveat, I have seen Shannon run...)
    I am wondering if the Maldives woman came up injured or something. That might explain the time.

Maria Mutola is still running for Mozambique. Kind of hard not to pull for her.

American women 800m: I think the big name would be Jearl Miles-Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I am wondering if the Maldives woman came up injured or something. That might explain the time.

Maria Mutola is still running for Mozambique. Kind of hard not to pull for her.

American women 800m: I think the big name would be Jearl Miles-Clark.
    no. that was her fastest ever! the rules are that each country gets at least 1 athlete in track even if nobody has hit the B standard. the maldives must not have any legit runners so they hooked her up with a free pass in the 800. you sometimes see a 4 hour marathon or some really slow 100s (which take less than 15 seconds) from these freebies.

i knew that our w800 was very weak and the only event on the track that we didn't have a medal contender but not getting anyone out of the first heat is truly embarrassing. joetta clark is the other big name from the past.

btw, the m100 final is going to be absolutely smoking.

Smile

btw, the m100 final is going to be absolutely smoking.
    The interviews I've seen with the track athletes have all been pointing to the fact that this track is lightning fast. I wonder how many records will be broken?

billybreen: where are you? Another venue-related plethora of world records may be in the offing.

Thanks for the explanation of the Maldives.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Back to the discussion of the 100m--the signature event of the Olympics, in my mind--I think it will shape up to be a great race. I don't know who wins it between Gay, Powell and Bolt, but I think a 9.67 wins it.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Back to the discussion of the 100m--the signature event of the Olympics, in my mind--I think it will shape up to be a great race. I don't know who wins it between Gay, Powell and Bolt, but I think a 9.67 wins it.
    it's going to go in 9.6x with guys running sub 9.9 going home with no hardware. bolt just jogged a 9.92! jamaica's 4x1 is going to be flying.

i think the m100 is going to be the only race with a wr even though the track is fast. unlike swimming, track races in the olympics generally are tactical. there also are no rabbits and multiple rounds are tiring so it is very hard to set a wr there. there is an outside chance of a wr in the m200 and m400 but MJ's times are so out there it is going to be hard.

btw, drugged up ramzi just ran a 3:32 in the first round of the 1500, which just missed the OR. that's insane.

i'm getting a live feed of the t&f on this european site:

http://www.aelling.lir.dk/public/tv-player-home.htm

hopefully it isn't blocked at 10:45 for the w10000.

cantwell just got the silver in the shot. hoffa and nelson were shut out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    The interviews I've seen with the track athletes have all been pointing to the fact that this track is lightning fast. I wonder how many records will be broken?

billybreen: where are you? Another venue-related plethora of world records may be in the offing.
    Yeah, I heard about that yesterday. I formally retract my statement that swimming is weird because of the potential for venue impact.

flanagan just nailed a bronze in the 10k.

Usain

That was pretty ridiculous by Usain literally jogging a 9.92. Unless he gets a horrific start, the gold should be his.

Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post
    That was pretty ridiculous by Usain literally jogging a 9.92. Unless he gets a horrific start, the gold should be his.
    If nothing else, he wins the gold for best name. Bolt is a super cool name for a sprinter. Gay isn't.

great pic of flanagan asking the officials if she really came in 3rd:

http://www.flotrack.org/photos/view/165290/44193

great pic of flanagan asking the officials if she really came in 3rd:

http://www.flotrack.org/photos/view/165290/44193
    Also a great picture of what happens when all you ever use are your legs.

I didn't see it but apparently Gay failed to qualify for the final. I think the hammie he hurt at the Olympic Trials is rearing its head.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I didn't see it but apparently Gay failed to qualify for the final. I think the hammie he hurt at the Olympic Trials is rearing its head.
    He came in 2nd in his semifinal race and I believe is seeded 2nd. Bolt looked pretty phenomenal.