Was This a No Win Situation For Coach K ?

With all that talent, the US was suppose to win. If they don't win the gold wouldn't that be a blemish on Coach K's outstanding coaching record ?

Can we address this in like 14 hours? I hate to jinx anything.

I think it depends on the game's outcome. If Spain is playing out of their minds, hitting 55% from the three point line, and we lose by 1 or 2, I don't think it's as bad of a blemish as let's say Spain zones all game and we just miss on a bunch of jacked up three pointers. That said, context can slowly disappear with time, i.e. people forget that our victory over the Soviets in ice hockey wasn't even the gold medal game. It's possible the blemish could increase if we lose the gold today and then the US dominates in 2012 with a different coach and a different strategy for team make up.

Aside from seeing the outcome of the game, a win or a loss, I think we have to see the quality of the loss as well, if that is the outcome.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    With all that talent, the US was suppose to win. If they don't win the gold wouldn't that be a blemish on Coach K's outstanding coaching record ?
    As stated in another thread before the olympics if they win the gold they are supposed to and Coach K will get little credit. If they only get the silver tonight much if not most of the blame will fall on him in my opinion. Coaching often isn't a fair job. In the pros you have players sign huge contracts then give 50% effort because they got paid. Teams don't mesh for whatever reason and in both situations the coach often gets the blame and the boot. Critics will say because K hand selected this team, coached it his way and decided who played how many minutes the blame should fall on him. While I think most every player has been dedicated and inspired to win if a couple of players had not given 100% due to ego or whatever I could see this team losing yet the blame would have fallen on K IMO.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if the USA coaching job will be handed over to someone else after this olympics? I haven't heard anything either way, perhaps because that was so far in the future. I realize Coach K has enjoyed coaching this team and is proud to be representing his country. But I for one hope he doesn't sign on for another tour of duty. Yes I will be proud and glad if they win the gold medal tonight. But to be blunt I want him focusing on Duke basketball and leave any potential USA distarctions behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if the USA coaching job will be handed over to someone else after this olympics? I haven't heard anything either way, perhaps because that was so far in the future. I realize Coach K has enjoyed coaching this team and is proud to be representing his country. But I for one hope he doesn't sign on for another tour of duty. Yes I will be proud and glad if they win the gold medal tonight. But to be blunt I want him focusing on Duke basketball and leave any potential USA distarctions behind.
    This has been on my mind a lot too. If we lose, I'd say no way is he back as the coach. If we win, it's a possibility, but I hope that the baton gets passed, as I too want him back, focused only on Duke hoops.

I have no inside information, but I would be shocked if K continued on as USA coach, gold medal or not. He has done his duty to the fullest and, IMO, will step back to his day job.

I think I have heard as much from an announcer somewhere along the line as if it were definite.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Let me get this straight... Following the debacle in the last Olympics where the supremely talented USA team was also "supposed to win", a gold for the team dubbed as the '"redeem team" would result in no kudos for K? We have UNC J-school grads writing that K and D-Wade are the two big difference makers this time around... We have Bill Walton singing Krzyzewski's praises with regard to how motivated and prepared he has this team to win gold... And you're saying it's no win?

If we lose, of course it's a blemish... If we win, I guarantee K will be touted by many astute columnists as the difference maker in the equation this time around--heck, they're already doing it!

Furthermore, with regard to the no-win aspect... You don't think seeing K at the helm of a [potential] gold-medal team USA is going to reap any recruiting dividends? You don't think that the experience of interacting with other professional coaches and the talented players on team USA is going to pay any dividends with regard to the development of Collins and Wojo as assistant coaches?

I think there have been plenty of benefits ['wins'] accrued thus far...

win/no win

Certainly looks like a W now. However, one can only imagine the dung that guys like greg doylie (sic) and jim crapel (sic) will continue to fling at the Duke program. Let's see what it does for the university, our players, staff and recruiting the next several years.

There was definitely more to lose than to win. Not in the real world, of course. But in the minds of the brainless media and haters, a loss would have tarnished the K legacy irreparably. Now they'll just have to wait another day to bring the criticism.

Now wouldn't it be nice to follow this up with a NC?

win

Quote Originally Posted by 1Devil View Post
    There was definitely more to lose than to win. Not in the real world, of course. But in the minds of the brainless media and haters, a loss would have tarnished the K legacy irreparably. Now they'll just have to wait another day to bring the criticism.

Now wouldn't it be nice to follow this up with an NC?
    Or two, or...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 1Devil View Post

Now wouldn't it be nice to follow this up with a NC?
    I doubt sincerely that K will do the Olympics again. This begs the question:
    Who'll replace K with USA Basketball?

If it's truly a no-win situation, do you really expect coaches to be lining up to be the new coach?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I wouldn't be at all surprised if after K retires from Duke if he takes Colangelo's spot.

I would say it was not a no-win situation, maybe a gotta-win situation. With victory K gets plenty of accolades as does Colangelo, et. al.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Who'll replace K with USA Basketball?

If it's truly a no-win situation, do you really expect coaches to be lining up to be the new coach?

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I know I wouldn't want to follow his act in the Olympics or at Duke.

It'll be one of two men without a doubt. Popovich or D'Antoni.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I would say it was not a no-win situation, maybe a gotta-win situation. With victory K gets plenty of accolades as does Colangelo, et. al.
    ... and K deserves all of those accolades. His coaching in the fourth period was masterful. He held it all together with leadership, decision making and tactics of the magnificent kind. Every coach who watched that game comes away with some solid education on how to coach during a game. What a great game!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    My guess is Pop, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    First issue is who is calling the shots. I doubt Colangelo will risk his legacy on another run - NBA egos are just too unpredictable. I think he will enjoy the fruits of his success and then turn the reins over to his son - who is probably even more familiar with the international game and players. Stern may have trouble giving the next guy the same level of control J Colangelo had so it might get dicey. Bringing K into the fold now in an advisory role might help there.

Next is the 3-year commitment. There will be world championships in 2 years, but we won't have to play in the Olympic qualifying tournament in 3 years. Does the next group get to take off the summer 2011? Do we do the same thing and pick the coach and pool of players asking for the 3 year commitment?

The danger in picking a NBA coach 3 years in advance is the uncertainty of his coaching status 3 years from now. A team such as the Knicks could quickly kill D'Antoni's reputation and the Spurs could have age suddenly catch up to them and plummet out of the playoffs. Coach K was a safe choice from that vantage point, but I can't see any other college coach being entrusted with the job (or be willing to risk his reputation following Coach K).

McMillan might be a good choice since Oden will be a centerpiece of the 2012 team and Roy might be a key piece as well. Portland should be at the top of the league by then.

After watching the gold metal game, I don't think the USA wins without the leadership and coaching of coach K and his staff. I was at the game in Las Vegas and could not believe what I saw. NBA players not going one on one but passing and playing D. I actually thought I was going to see grown men playing an AAU type game. I was pleasantly surprised. While there wasn't much D this AM, just enough when it counted.

Congrats to K and his staff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    First issue is who is calling the shots. I doubt Colangelo will risk his legacy on another run - NBA egos are just too unpredictable. I think he will enjoy the fruits of his success and then turn the reins over to his son - who is probably even more familiar with the international game and players. Stern may have trouble giving the next guy the same level of control J Colangelo had so it might get dicey. Bringing K into the fold now in an advisory role might help there.

Next is the 3-year commitment. There will be world championships in 2 years, but we won't have to play in the Olympic qualifying tournament in 3 years. Does the next group get to take off the summer 2011? Do we do the same thing and pick the coach and pool of players asking for the 3 year commitment?

The danger in picking a NBA coach 3 years in advance is the uncertainty of his coaching status 3 years from now. A team such as the Knicks could quickly kill D'Antoni's reputation and the Spurs could have age suddenly catch up to them and plummet out of the playoffs. Coach K was a safe choice from that vantage point, but I can't see any other college coach being entrusted with the job (or be willing to risk his reputation following Coach K).

McMillan might be a good choice since Oden will be a centerpiece of the 2012 team and Roy might be a key piece as well. Portland should be at the top of the league by then.
    I think Pop's reputation is such that even not making the playoffs wouldn't put it in jeopardy. He's a safe choice. Even if his head looks like a pineapple.