Did you hear about the taekwondo competitor from Cuba?

He's been banned for life for kicking a judge in the head after being disqualified in the bronze medal match.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008...ubanattacksref
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/200..._cuban_attack/
    Last edited by bjornolf; 08-23-2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: more info...

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    He's been banned for life for kicking a judge in the head after being disqualified in the bronze medal match.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008...ubanattacksref
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/200..._cuban_attack/
    That's awesome!

That dork Jim Lampley just had a nice quote regarding the banning -- "After all, it's the first rule of taekwando: you can not kick the referee in the head."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm sure he's going to have a lovely homecoming.

Yeah, that's the Olympic Sprit right there.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    That's awesome!

That dork Jim Lampley just had a nice quote regarding the banning -- "After all, it's the first rule of taekwando: you can not kick the referee in the head."

Wow, the Swedes aren't having a good Olympics, are they?

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Wow, the Swedes aren't having a good Olympics, are they?
    No, but if you didn't know the context, you could imagine that the judge is actually fighting back hamster style.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    if you didn't know the context, you could imagine that the judge is actually fighting back hamster style.
    QOTD

"Hamster style" -- That made me snarf milk out my nose. Good one.

Anyone seen any of video of this on line? I have read about it but would love to see it actually happen.

--Jason "those Cubans, they are not good losers" Evans

That's exactly why Olympic judges should be allowed to pack some heat. A .38 would've calmed the Cuban dude down.
    ~rthomas

speaking of sore losers and swedes, turns out the Armenian-Swedish wrestler who threw away his bronze medal (Ara Abrahamian) was right after all... Doesn't excuse his behavior, but sucks for him...

The Armenian-born Abrahamian—who also lost a 2004 Olympic semifinal match on a disputed call—initially wanted judges in the bout tossed out and his medal restored. But in the end, he only wanted CAS to verify that the lack of an immediate appeals process is a loophole that needs to be fixed. It also was referred to as a violation of “the Olympic Charter and FILA’s own rules about fair play.”

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Anyone seen any of video of this on line? I have read about it but would love to see it actually happen.
    NBC is ripping them down as soon as they are posted, and I don't think it would be cool to link to one. Just hit Youtube -- you're bound to find a clip. Tip: if the name or description of the video is in a foreign language, that probably means the clip doesn't come from NBCUniversal so it has a much better chance of being available.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    speaking of sore losers and swedes, turns out the Armenian-Swedish wrestler who threw away his bronze medal (Ara Abrahamian) was right after all... Doesn't excuse his behavior, but sucks for him...
    The lesson here is that if you disagree with the officiating, the best course of action is to boycott the medal ceremony rather than show up and make a scene. The IOC still recognizes the U.S. as the 1972 basketball silver medalists, and the team can still in theory claim the medals if it wants them (which, of course, will never happen).