Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Usain Bolt: Do I have to like him?

Usain Bolt. Amazingly fast. Fastest man alive. He may in fact be the fastest man, EVER. BUT,

I just don't like the guy.

I don't know what it is- but he just seems as if he hasn't earned it. It's the "running the 100 was an afterthought" to the fact that he eats only Chicken Nuggets, doesn't seem to really train hard, and just seems to be getting by on talent alone.

I don't know about his celebrations- it's fine to celebrate, but he didn't thank anyone else, didn't show one shred of graciousness. I'm 24, no old fogey, and I think he should have showed a TINY bit of dignity.

It just doesn't seem fair. He seems like the kid who's getting by on talent alone. For me to like him, I want to see him work hard, to see him overcome obstacles, to see him struggle a bit. He just seems a bit hollow as the Olympic-hero that he's being portrayed as.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I agree that there is much to dislike about Bolt. Too cocky for his own good, too nonchalant, etc. But then again the same can be said of a young Carol Lewis, Gail Devers, FloJo, Michael Johnson, Mark Spitz etc.

Bolt is a youngster and he's got a lot to learn. BUT let's agree that he has the potential to be the most amazing track athlete that (most of us) will see in our lifetime.

Can't wait to see what he will do when he commits to training, gives it his all, and focuses on shattering world records left and right.

If he doesn't implode, he will be great...beyond great.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    I agree that there is much to dislike about Bolt. Too cocky for his own good, too nonchalant, etc. But then again the same can be said of a young Carol Lewis, Gail Devers, FloJo, Michael Johnson, Mark Spitz etc.
    Tiny nit-pick: Carol or Carl Lewis? Carl was MUCH more cocky than Carol.

At least Bolt donated some money to the Chinese Earthquake fund. If he becomes more humanitarian in deeds and actions, then more power to him.

I just hope he's sprinting clean. Given the events over the last few years, I now have a nagging feeling that whoever wins a race is going to have to turn over a medal within the next four-six years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I just hope he's sprinting clean. Given the events over the last few years, I now have a nagging feeling that whoever wins a race is going to have to turn over a medal within the next four-six years.
    Definitely agree on this point.

As for Bolt, I don't dislike him, nor am I a great fan. I find him amusing.

What a great display of sportsmanship....for me to poop on!

Jamaica? He'd fit right in at chapel hole.

I like Bolt lots. Yeah, he's exuberant and a bit cocky, like JJ, Henderson, LeBron, and he's not nearly as much so as, say, Dahntay. And he's not even close to the women's beach volleyball players slapping hands, shrieking, and cavorting after every point and waiting five minutes after their medal match to acknowlege their opponents (after telling the press they couldn't wait to get to Beijing and "kick butt"). Understandable, yes, but the point is that Bolt is hardly unique.

I find him refreshing. The fact that he didn't care about setting a new world record in the 100 once he knew he had it won makes perfect sense to me. Like he said, he already had the world record; he just wanted to win. He seems like a fun, good guy to me.

I hope he's clean, too. But I have no more or less reason to suspect him than I do for Phelps or Dara Torres.

except...

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    I like Bolt lots. Yeah, he's exuberant and a bit cocky, like JJ, Henderson, LeBron, and he's not nearly as much so as, say, Dahntay. But I find him refreshing. The fact that he didn't care about setting a new world record in the 100 once he knew he had it won makes perfect sense to me. Like he said, he already had the world record. He seems like a fun, good guy to me.

I hope he's clean, too. But I have no more or less reason to suspect him than I do for Phelps or Dara Torres.
    that Jamaica doesn't have a testing program, so the Jamaican runners could have juiced until a couple months ago and then flushed their systems for the olympics.

I love Bolt! He looks like he enjoys himself and he actually seems to be having fun. The guy doing the post-race interviews for NBC has been a complete moron, but many of these athletes have sounded extremely cocky after their races. I like that Bolt doesn't seem to have any set routine or way of doing things, he just goes out there to run and have a good time. In a way, he reminds me of Ken Griffey Jr. in his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    that Jamaica doesn't have a testing program, so the Jamaican runners could have juiced until a couple months ago and then flushed their systems for the olympics.
    Plus, Jamaicans roll big fatties. Who knows what they have been smoking?
    ~rthomas

It seems we only like cocky ungracious athletes when they are American. We want our foreigners to be humble.

haha, I don't think the cockiness doesn't bother me, so much as the fact that it doesn't seem like he worked hard for it.

Dahntay, for example, was hugely cocky, but he was also the most intense person alive. You knew he wanted it badly. Michael Jordan and Kobe are the same way (not to imply that Dahntay is on their level).

The women's volleyball player's earned it- in 2006, they weren't doing so hot, and everyone wanted them to break up. But they worked hard, fixed their problems and went on a tear.

It just seems that Bolt wakes up in the morning and just runs. I guess it boils down to this. I can respect the talent, but I can't respect the athlete until I can respect his determination.

Maybe it's too many NBC olympic human interest pieces and too many visa commercials with that dude that got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    how can you write that? both phelps and torres are part of a special drug voluntary program that repeatedly tests them throughout the entire year and also is keeping their blood on file for future testing. bolt is not part of any such program, his country doesn't test and he has not set aside any blood for future testing. the difference between what phelps/torres have undergone and what bolt has not undergone is like black and white.

Just because there are more "safe guards"...

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    how can you write that? both phelps and torres are part of a special drug voluntary program that repeatedly tests them throughout the entire year and also is keeping their blood on file for future testing. bolt is not part of any such program, his country doesn't test and he has not set aside any blood for future testing. the difference between what phelps/torres have undergone and what bolt has not undergone is like black and white.
    ...does not mean that the system cannot be beaten.

I personally hate the current witch-hunt.

But to your exact question, with all of these USA safeguards, how then are so many of our 2000 and 2004 medals getting stripped -- due solely to Guilt By Association, and not by any of these systematic checks you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    ...does not mean that the system cannot be beaten.

I personally hate the current witch-hunt.

But to your exact question, with all of these USA safeguards, how then are so many of our 2000 and 2004 medals getting stripped -- due solely to Guilt By Association, and not by any of these systematic checks you mention.
    nobody was setting aside blood in 2000 and 2004 and the body that is overseeing the extensively testing of phelps, torres and 10 other athletes is new as well. moreover, the us greatly increased its out of competition over the past year because it it was fed up with the messes of 2000 and 2004. i'm not sure why you are pointing to all of our doped up athletes in 2000 and 2004 and assume that the same systems are place in 2008. they are very different and much tougher today.

lastly, who is guilty by association in the us? i haven't heard any rumors about dirty us athletes in these games (i have heard people say that part of the reason why we have been so disappointing on the track is because of much tougher testing). most of the rumors concern the jamaicans, which don't test and also not so oddly don't race indoors, the russians, who already have had their team gutted due to doping and the various middle eastern countries that buy keynans and moroccans.

of course any system can be beaten, but i have an exponentially higher degree of certainty that someone who voluntarily sets aside his or her blood for future testing is cleaner than someone who does not.

I'm not sure I understand the idea that he would be worthy of more positive feelings if he had to work harder, or if he had to overcome obstacles.

Why can't he be admired for talent alone?

My thinking is sort of the opposite of the original poster's. For example, who do like better or admire more, the student who is so brilliant that he/she gets A's without breaking a sweat, or the student who studies intensely for each and every exam in order to get the same grades? I'm more in awe of the former than the latter. Sure, the latter is admirable for his/her work ethic, but the former seems more deserving of awe.

What if one person sits down and types out the so-called Great American Novel in a 4-month period, and another person labors for 14 years with multiple re-writes, etc., and produces a similarly great book. You like the second person better? Again, I'm more inclined to admire the first.

Maybe it's just me....

See, in your examples, I take the guy who took 14 years and the student who had to work his butt off.

It's the ability to recognize that you might not have awe-inspiring talent (of course, in the Olympics case, that's all relative), but you're aware of that, and you don't pack it in. It's too easy in today's society to quit at things that we're not good at and just be really mediocre. I hate life on cruise control.

It's too easy for the student to say, "you know, I'm not going to be as smart as him, but that's okay. I'm going to stop working so hard. I'll make B's, but I'm sure I'll end up at a decent school and turn out okay." Yet, that student doesn't. Why does he do that? That "why" portion is what I admire and respect. That's not talent, that's not genetics, that's just pure guts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Tiny nit-pick: Carol or Carl Lewis? Carl was MUCH more cocky than Carol.

At least Bolt donated some money to the Chinese Earthquake fund. If he becomes more humanitarian in deeds and actions, then more power to him.

Somehow, I find him donating $50,000 to earthquake relief a bit hollow. That's a pittance of money in terms of the amount he's going to be making, and he can't even be bothered to make a big show of it. It just seems as if some PR person told him it was a good idea, and then they spit out a press release about it. He doesn't even give a 30 second sound byte about it. Do you think he could even point out the Sichuan province on a map?

Bolt

Count me among those who like the kid.

I love his exhuberance -- he's one of the few guys out there having fun. Plus, he's donating $50,000 to Chinese earthquake relief ... what a great gesture.

I think there's a great difference between Bolt's antics and say the behavior of the English 4x400 meter anchor Friday night. Bolt celebrates and has a good time, but I haven't seen him to anything to dis his competitors. In fact, they seem to love him -- US sprinter Walter Spearman is one of his best buddies.

If you saw the English jerk finish his race in the semifinals, you know the difference -- he turned and taunted the runners behind him.

As for the drug issue ... I hate pall steroids and the like have cast over sports. I hate the dopers and welcome any penalties they face.

But I refuse to condemn any great athlete -- and that includes Phelps and Bolt -- until there is at least some evidence of performance enhancing drugs. Then I'll be skeptical. But I refuse to assume that a great achievement is necessarily caused by drugs.

he beat the 'murkins so we hate him. nuff said

Seriously folks, why all the hatred to an athlete who as far aw we know has done nothing wrong, seems to be enjoyhing himself, and seems to have no problems with his competitors?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

I think there's a great difference between Bolt's antics and say the behavior of the English 4x400 meter anchor Friday night. Bolt celebrates and has a good time, but I haven't seen him to anything to dis his competitors. In fact, they seem to love him -- US sprinter Walter Spearman is one of his best buddies.

If you saw the English jerk finish his race in the semifinals, you know the difference -- he turned and taunted the runners behind him.
    Good call. I saw that... even the announcers were saying (paraphrasing)
    Dude, what the hell are you thinking?!?!? This is a semifinal! You haven't won a medal!
    Last edited by Cavlaw; 08-26-2008 at 04:34 PM. Reason: quote tag