Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This thread got way off topic.

Maybe we can steer it back by talking about the impact this Team USA might have on the NBA and future Team USAs.

While I would hope that representing their country would mean something to these guys, and I think it does, let's remove that from the equation for a moment.

Looking at Team USA through a strictly financial lens, there are some big pluses (and a few significant minuses)

PLUSES:
    -By spending a month every other year with the best 12 players in the world, the individual is bound to get better, and be more confident in their play, which should lead to larger contracts with their NBA teams.
    -Being on the global stage should make them more attractive to both domestic and foreign advertisers going forward. That should translate to more endorsement money.
    -By becoming more of a global presence, they may just be able to hop over to Europe for a year or two at the tail end of their NBA careers to make some large money (kind of the David Beckham move).
    -They are in better shape heading into the NBA season (maybe yes, maybe no, see below)
    -These guys love to win, at least the guys good enough to make the team, and Team USA affords the chance to win a prestigious tournament every two years (Olynpics and World Championships).

MINUSES:
    -They either get hurt or worn down by the extra playing which shortens their careers, etc.
    -They don't get enough PT and it hurts their confidence (pure speculation, no proof, unlikely, but had to throw it out there).

As the games grows in worldwide popularity and other countries continue to get better and the USA is taking it seriously, I think we're headed for a real international golden age where the Olympics and World Championships should be great for years to come.

As for K....I think he's a natural for the USA Basketball Managing Director gig when he decides to retire in 20 years.