Keyboard Recomm (new)

I saw the earlier thread - which veered - but wanted to start a new one b/c while I like the MSFT Natural Keyboard, I've found them to be anything but durable. They last me about 12-18 mos, too short for $50+.

Other recommendations - even for non-ergonomic ones? I've seen the slashdot article on Das Keyboard and from there discovered that someone's still making IBM's old clicky keyboard design (see Unicomp Customizer, buckling spring technology, at pckeyboard.com).

I do a LOT of typing and maybe no keyboard is going to help with fatigue - but for those of you who type a lot, what do you use? (assume desktop here, not laptop).

Right now I've just got the one that came with my '04 Dell GX280 desktop. It's OK but the keys are wearing glossy and getting a bit grabby.

Also thinking of going with a logitech mouse with trackball to replace my ordinary mouse. Hoping it helps with the soreness.

Thanks all - and hope you enjoy the new avatar - slightly cuter than 90-yr old Bertrand Russell. Please meet Vespa, who is not a kitten anymore but is still cute.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I saw the earlier thread - which veered - but wanted to start a new one b/c while I like the MSFT Natural Keyboard, I've found them to be anything but durable. They last me about 12-18 mos, too short for $50+.

Other recommendations - even for non-ergonomic ones? I've seen the slashdot article on Das Keyboard and from there discovered that someone's still making IBM's old clicky keyboard design (see Unicomp Customizer, buckling spring technology, at pckeyboard.com).

I do a LOT of typing and maybe no keyboard is going to help with fatigue - but for those of you who type a lot, what do you use? (assume desktop here, not laptop).

Right now I've just got the one that came with my '04 Dell GX280 desktop. It's OK but the keys are wearing glossy and getting a bit grabby.

Also thinking of going with a logitech mouse with trackball to replace my ordinary mouse. Hoping it helps with the soreness.

Thanks all - and hope you enjoy the new avatar - slightly cuter than 90-yr old Bertrand Russell. Please meet Vespa, who is not a kitten anymore but is still cute.
    First, Vespa is ADORABLE! Chloe looked like that as a kitten, but a tad lighter grey. Then, of course, she turned into Satan.

Now as for a keyboard, I have a Fellowes wireless in the office that I'm actually rather fond of. You may not care for it though, but I like that I can move it around, etc because it's wireless. I do not use the mouse because...

I have a Logitech trackball that I LOVE. I mean LOVE- I have one at home and got one at work I love it so much. Really. Best part is that everyone else hates it so no one goes near my computer. The trackball is under the thumb, which I much prefer to the trackball in the center of the mouse (I guess for the middle finger?). With the thumb trackball, it's for right-handed people, but as a lefty, I had no trouble adjusting. I love that I'm not constantly moving around my desk with a traditional mouse. This one comes in wired/wireless, though I find wireless mice to be too jumpy for my taste. Besides, since you're not moving it around as with a traditional mouse, is it necessary to spend the extra money on wireless?

I went with this one:

I figured my problem wasn't nonergonomic keyboards, but the depth of each press, especially when I hold on to shift/alt/ctrl keys. So far I really like it, and I'm considering unplugging the keyboard on my laptop so it forces me to use only this keyboard.

@sue71, I am also a big fan of Logitech trackballs. Mine is this one

Wireless

Do you guys ever worry about wireless keyboard strokes being intercepted and recorded by a keystroke logger? Passwords and whatnot? Just curious. For instance I don't give out my credit card # on a cordless phone. Or is the range so small that the person would have to be practically within your house to get it?

I can see how fewer wires would be nice. I've accumulated so many peripherals for this desktop, there are TONS of wires back there. All 8 usb ports used up, plus some in an expansion card, plus monitor, speakers, printer, power, phone, dsl gateway - it really is a mess and I would not miss the wires on my desk (or when the mouse won't move because the cord got wedged under the telephone).

Thanks for the +1 on Vespa. She's got a brother, Vino, who'll make an appearance down the road. He's not as cute, but he's kind of the Santa Claus of cats (fat & jolly). Vespa's friendly only when Vino's not around. It's weird.

But hey, keyboards and cats go together often, right?

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post

I use a Logitech Cordless Desktop Comfort Laser. I purchased it two years ago and love it. I have a Dell laptop. Using its keyboard caused pain in my shoulder, lower back, and hands from typing. The pain ended soon after I began using this Logitech keyboard and mouse.
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ke...s/167&cl=us,en

Mouse options

As long as there is a trackpoint in the keyboard, the keys themselves don't bother me.

I just can't use a mouse (annoying -- and takes my hand away from the keys) or a touchpad (doesn't allow full range of mouse motion without removing and resetting finger constantly.

I was happy when Lenovo licensed Dell to allow Trackpoints on Latitudes again -- because so many copmanies are standardized on Dell now instead of ThinkPads.