Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Olympic Basketball - Spain Thread (Gold Medal Game)

Alright, it is time for the Gold Medal Game.

We beat Spain by 37 earlier in the tournament and the spaniards just squeaked by Lithuania. Thoughts and comments here...

(I win, billy breen)

this game will be at 2:30am EDT, right? too late for me!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post

We beat Spain by 37 earlier in the tournament and the spaniards just squeaked by Lithuania. Thoughts and comments here...

(I win, billy breen)
    Indeed you do! Congrats on the quick draw.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Indeed you do! Congrats on the quick draw.
    Breen and Blueintheface move on to the medal round in thread posting.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I wonder what the Crazies would come up with in response to the eye-squint poster if the final were played in Cameron.

GO USA

focus and defense...

and if you're not staying up to watch, you're with the terrorists...

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    this game will be at 2:30am EDT, right? too late for me!
    Why is this game not at a reasonable US zone time? Why not play it at 9:00pm their time?
    For cryin' out loud....

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Why is this game not at a reasonable US zone time? Why not play it at 9:00pm their time?
    For cryin' out loud....
    Oh... I dunno... maybe because the game's played IN CHINA?

2:30 AM EDT = 2:30 PM Sunday in China. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I don't think I can stay up that late. Does anyone know if they will re-air the game on NBC?

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Oh... I dunno... maybe because the game's played IN CHINA?

2:30 AM EDT = 2:30 PM Sunday in China. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
    True. 8 p.m. is also a reasonable time, and it would be a reasonable time in the U.S. at 8 a.m. Why cater to the U.S.? Well, how many audiences that would watch are bigger than the EST audience? Especially considering the teams that are playing, the answer seems like it would be obvious. I understand that things shouldn't and can't revolve around the states, but a 2 a.m game isn't just inconvenient for most east coast Americans, its impossible. If it was an hour or two earlier, or at least 2 hours later, the problem would be solved, going from a night without sleep to a late night or early morning.

There may be reasons why this is impossible, what are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    True. 8 p.m. is also a reasonable time, and it would be a reasonable time in the U.S. at 8 a.m. Why cater to the U.S.? Well, how many audiences that would watch are bigger than the EST audience? Especially considering the teams that are playing, the answer seems like it would be obvious. I understand that things shouldn't and can't revolve around the states, but a 2 a.m game isn't just inconvenient for most east coast Americans, its impossible. If it was an hour or two earlier, or at least 2 hours later, the problem would be solved, going from a night without sleep to a late night or early morning.

There may be reasons why this is impossible, what are they?
    8 or 9 pm Sunday night game is not a reasonable time to start 3 hours of game + medal ceremony. We all hated Sunday night ACC games (well, I did) on FoxSports, why would you want to subject the Chinese people, who are just as interested in watching this game as those of us in the U.S. to that? Just suck it up and watch the game at 2am (or 11pm in my case, unless Comcast decides it still hates me) and call in sick the next day

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Isn't the game the last event of the olympics? Thought I heard this somewhere...
    Ooh good call, playing this game at 8pm local time is also impossible since the game is played on the last day of the games. You'd have to delay the closing ceremonies.

Oops I done broke the space-time continuum again...

Isn't the game the last event of the olympics? Thought I heard this somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post

(I win, billy breen)
    US by 40. Spain will fight hard, but it will be in vain.

Ooh good call, playing this game at 8pm local time is also impossible since the game is played on the last day of the games. You'd have to delay the closing ceremonies.

Minus the sarcasm, I did ask for a reason why the time couldn't be changed. This is one, so alright I mean, hypothetically they could start it at noon, but that's fine.

Seeing as I spend from 9:30 am to 8:30 pm in class I don't know that calling in sick would work, and running on 2 hours sleep might not go so hot either.

That's mind bottling.

Indeed. Seems pretty arrogant to expect the game and closing ceremonies to be scheduled on our behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    That's mind bottling.

Indeed. Seems pretty arrogant to expect the game and closing ceremonies to be scheduled on our behalf.
    I did mention after he said that that I didn't realize the closing ceremonies were right after, and I conceded that they couldn't schedule it any later because of the ceremony. On the other hand, could they schedule it say, one or two hours early without having to move the closing ceremonies?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I did mention after he said that that I didn't realize the closing ceremonies were right after, and I conceded that they couldn't schedule it any later because of the ceremony. On the other hand, could they schedule it say, one or two hours early without having to move the closing ceremonies?
    Sorry if I came off as sarcastic - I added some smileys after re-reading my posts and thinking I may come off as being rude, but guess I can't win either way

I think the Bronze medal game (12 pm China time) has to go before the Gold medal game, so that's also not possible.

Just treat the situtation like it's Duke playing in the Great Alaskan Shootout!

Sorry if I came off as sarcastic - I added some smileys after re-reading my posts and thinking I may come off as being rude, but guess I can't win either way

I think the Bronze medal game (12 pm China time) has to go before the Gold medal game, so that's also not possible.
    Fair enough. I guess my consolation is being back in Durham for a year, I may miss the U.S. team, but I still get to see some Duke basketball, plus its a perfect year to be around for football right?

I'm willing to bet Spain has a few tricks up their sleeves... but I wouldn't be surprised if K does too.